Students

Private school(from Grade 9) in Richmond Hill, Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2017 2:59 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2006
10 posts

Private school(from Grade 9) in Richmond Hill, Ontario

My kids will be going to high school in next 2-3 years and I was wondering if public schools in Richmond Hill, Ontario are good enough or will private schools offer better education?

Few private schools I am considering: TMS Elgin mills, Country Day School, Waldorf

Does anyone have kids going to these schools(grade 7 and up only) ?

I know the public schools like at bayview and richmond green may be good but are not my home school, the only home school is king city high school and does not have good rating.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15921 posts
1827 upvotes
neeta wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:34 pm
I know the public schools like at bayview and richmond green may be good but are not my home school, the only home school is king city high school and does not have good rating.
It's not a great school but by no means a ghetto school - your child will do fine if he/she sticks to the Academic courses.

Also, you need to consider whether or not it is worth spending $25,000+ per year for private high school; it's probably better to save the money for a University tution rather than high school. If you work hard in public school, and get good marks, I'm pretty sure your chances of accept at a prestigious university is basically the same as private school.

Alternatively, perhaps you can apply for the IB program at Bayview Secondary or an enriched program at one of the other York Region schools?
[OP]
Sep 25, 2006
10 posts
IB program at Bayview or other schools is something I was considering as well, what are other enriched programs at other York schools?

There is generally not a lot of guidance and push in public schools, teachers in grade 5/6 say that getting a getting B is ok, instead I expect to hear that B is ok, but they should strive for A and try their best. My son is good in Maths but school does not challenge him beyond what he can do, we have enrolled him in spirit of maths which keeps him challenged, but how do we keep them challenged for higher grades.

My logic is that if these last 4 years are not strong enough and do not build a good base then all money saved for university may be waste if they do not even have good grades to get admission in good university. You can always get a student loan for university. I am just trying to logically analyze if there will be any real benefit in going to private school- will they offer true guidance, introduce leadership skills and better education.

To summarize Let say it this way- if money is kept aside for a moment- will it make a difference if grade 9-12 are completed from a private school?
Jan 8, 2009
617 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
Personally, I believe sending your child to private school in York Region is a waste of money.

My daughter is in grade 12 at Alex Mack and she loves it. She's a straight A student, has a great group of friends, really likes the teachers and her classes. She also really likes her school in general. It's an older school with an almost campus feel to it. She also likes the mix of students at her school i.e. many different backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, etc, rather than it being primarily one group.

She's already been accepted and offered scholarships (early admission based on her grade 11 marks) to three of the four university programs she applied to and the fourth doesn't do early admission so we're just waiting on that. The rest of her friends have similar marks and have already been accepted to most of their top choices with scholarships as well. With the exception of a few AP classes and one friend being enrolled in the Arts program (music), none of them are doing or have done any enrichment. But they all have a lot of volunteer hours and solid extracurriculars.

Alex Mack has AP, next year it will have IB, it has a very well-known Arts program (which requires auditions), etc.

To be honest, a good student with good friends will thrive in any decent school. There are lots of ways for them to challenge themselves and, particularly if they're taking science and math courses at a university level, there will be lots of work involved.

Also, yes students can take loans but do you really want to saddle them with that? You'd be much better investing that money in an RESP to help them out with their undergrad and any graduate/professional school.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15921 posts
1827 upvotes
neeta wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 3:00 pm
To summarize Let say it this way- if money is kept aside for a moment- will it make a difference if grade 9-12 are completed from a private school?
Achieving an A is as much the responsibility of the parent/child as the teacher. Saying that, it is unfortunate you feel your school isn't working hard to improve your child's progress. Nevertheless, I would keep them in public school but enrich their education with tutors and after school programs if marks are a concern.

As for high school, start looking at the AP / IB / gifted programs in York Region, you can always transfer your child into one of those programs if you find your home school lacking. King City SS seems to offer AP: http://www.yrdsb.ca/Students/MyOptions/ ... lance.aspx
neeta wrote:
I am just trying to logically analyze if there will be any real benefit in going to private school- will they offer true guidance, introduce leadership skills and better education.
Debatable in York Region which has some very good schools.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1819 posts
408 upvotes
For me I believe that schools (public, AP/IB or private) may not be the big factor in your kid successes. It's mostly up to the individual and the parents. I believe parents play a bigger role than anything else. We have to make sure our kid doesn't lose focus and always motivated. We should be aware more of how our kid is doing and always provide help/guidance if we find it is lacking from the school. Trust me, only 4 years of high school which will pay off big time in the future and I am speaking from experience. My daughter had a chance to go to AP/IB school but she decided to go to a ghetto school in our neighborhood instead. She went on and took top marks from her school every single year, graduated as a top scholar in the region, went to Mac's Health Sciences and later got into med school with full scholarship (more than $100K in tuition fees paid off). She has been interested in medicine since grade 7 (as her choice and not from the parents) and never once loses her sight or focus. We were refugees and came here when we were young and poor (penniless) hence private school was out of the question. So my wife had a daunting task of finding out what needs to be done to help my daughter achieve her goal as you know marks alone won't get you into med school. She devoted most of her times helping/guiding my daughter through her school years and now my daughter's bright future is set. We are now very proud and content with our accomplishment and we wouldn't want to change a thing even if we have a choice all over again, i.e. sending my daughter to a more prestige school instead.
Jan 14, 2010
485 posts
83 upvotes
neeta wrote:
There is generally not a lot of guidance and push in public schools, teachers in grade 5/6 say that getting a getting B is ok, instead I expect to hear that B is ok, but they should strive for A and try their best. My son is good in Maths but school does not challenge him beyond what he can do, we have enrolled him in spirit of maths which keeps him challenged, but how do we keep them challenged for higher grades.
I will try to word this as sensitively as possible...

Is there a chance that your son is a B student? Often teachers placate parents who want their children to receive higher grades (but don't necessarily deserve them) by pointing out that B is the provincial standard, and therefore is good enough. Especially in junior division grades, the cream generally does rise to the top, and students who are stand-outs do get great grades. Several examples are listed by other posters in this thread and there are multitudes of amazing individuals who thrived, learned and succeeded in public schools.

I too would not waste money on private tuition. We cannot turn our children into what we want them to be, only provide encouragement.
Dec 18, 2016
24 posts
7 upvotes
I disagree, I lived in RH, went to Bayview then transferred to another highschool I also know people who went to St. Andrews, HTS etc. I think in high income, high immigrant high schools people are way more cutthroat than private schools that are filled with rich white kids whose lives don't revolve around getting into med or law school and are more encouraged to pursue their passions in the arts and things like that. Also drug use is way down. I think private schools are good for kids who need a smaller environment.