Parenting & Family

Private vs Public High school in Richmond Hill ON

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2006
10 posts

Private vs Public High school in Richmond Hill ON

Are public High schools in Richmond Hill, Ontario good enough or will private schools offer better education?

Does anyone have kids going to these private schools(grade 7 and up only) :TMS Elgin mills, Country Day School, Waldorf?

How is king city high school(public school)?

Does anyone have kids who completed elementary school in public school and then joined private school for grade 7 or up and saw a difference?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
Richmond Hill public schools are some of the best in Ontario.

I don't think the ROI is there for private school - likely your child will not do any better than one going to public school of similar intelligence.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14621 posts
3944 upvotes
Ottawa
Of course private schools are better than public.
Smaller class sizes and obviously better funded.
The only consideration is $$$.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 7:19 am
Of course private schools are better than public.
Smaller class sizes and obviously better funded.
Better funding is not always the case in many private schools; only the elite private schools have better / more qualified teachers than public schools. Pay at private schools is often lower than their public equivalents.

In the end, it's debatable whether a child will do better in public school vs. private school. Personally I think one can do well in public school and hence it's not worth the $ (might as well spend that money on an Ivy League where statistically it's been shown to have a payoff).
Last edited by coolspot on Feb 24th, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14621 posts
3944 upvotes
Ottawa
coolspot wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 12:08 pm
Better funding is not always the case in many private schools; only the elite private schools have better / more qualified teachers than public schools. Pay at private schools is often lower than their public equivalents.

In the end, it's debating whether a child will do better in public school vs. private school. Personally I think one can do well in public school and hence it's not worth the $ (might as well spend that money on an Ivy League where statistically it's been shown to have a payoff).
Agreed and I'm not referring to some run of the mill type school ,but the accredited ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2789 posts
208 upvotes
coolspot wrote:

In the end, it's debatable whether a child will do better in public school vs. private school. Personally I think one can do well in public school and hence it's not worth the $ (might as well spend that money on an Ivy League where statistically it's been shown to have a payoff).
I think the pay at the "elite" private schools is about the same as public. And I don't think the choice for most parents who send their kids to private school is private school or Ivy League university - I think it's private school and Ivy League (if that's where their kids decide to go)... I definitely agree that children can do just as well in good public schools.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
random pattern wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 8:06 pm
And I don't think the choice for most parents who send their kids to private school is private school or Ivy League university - I think it's private school and Ivy League (if that's where their kids decide to go)...
There's probably a good number of "middle class" parents who end up spending $500,000+ private schooling only to sacrifice other things and/or end up struggling paying for US tuition.

Anyhow, unless you have a lot of disposable income, I think it's better to invest the money, and give your child a nice windfall when they graduate university. The money, after they graduate, can open a lot of doors and opportunities much better than an elementary/high school education.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2789 posts
208 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 1:04 am
There's probably a good number of "middle class" parents who end up spending $500,000+ private schooling only to sacrifice other things and/or end up struggling paying for US tuition.

Anyhow, unless you have a lot of disposable income, I think it's better to invest the money, and give your child a nice windfall when they graduate university. The money, after they graduate, can open a lot of doors and opportunities much better than an elementary/high school education.
You might be right, but I'm struggling to think of a single family in either of my kids' classes who seem like they're anywhere close to struggling. Frankly we're probably the least wealthy and we're doing ok. In fact, that to me is becoming more of a negative than I first thought - I didn't think the income/wealth would be quite a skewed as it is.

I absolutely believe a child can get a first rate education in a good (even "just" a half decent) Ontario public school, but for us, since we are fortunate enough to have the disposable income, we thought private school was a good investment in our kids' education. If we weren't paying for that tuition, I think it's pretty unlikely we'd be saving it all to gift them in the future. A good proportion (maybe even all) would probably be spent - nicer, newer cars, vacations etc.

So, as I've said before, for us that means we don't go on as many travel/vacations, we don't have a cottage, we don't have upgraded luxury cars every few years, we don't live in a $5M home etc. We don't kid ourselves - some of those are advantageous for kids and we don't invest in those, but those are the trade offs we make. So I guess as with most things, it's to each their own! :)
Dec 24, 2007
707 posts
59 upvotes
GTA
I pass that TMS Elgin Mills every day...such a small school almost no playground.
Apr 8, 2011
191 posts
38 upvotes
pandorazw wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:10 pm
I pass that TMS Elgin Mills every day...such a small school almost no playground.
TMS Elgin Mills is for grade 7 and up so probably don't need a playground :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9313 posts
1135 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote:

I don't even know if it's better funded. The funding pressure for Parents are immense (at least for one of the most prestigious ones like St Mikes). And I remember someone else mentioning that no teacher goes into trying to be a teacher to get into the Private School system. In fact, there's less security, less benefits (pension).

The main point of a prestigious public school is that you are generally among your peers: upper income. In some cases, uber rich. Or a family history, heritage, etc., You basically learn to stay or 'act' rich. I worked in a finance position where several St Mike's guys came through. What they had in common was they had Dads that were pretty active in some kind of more executive position, as well as being on Boards, or a more leader type person in a organization. Alot of them went to Queens. My old boss also sent his kid there though it was starting in Grd 3 (he wasn't loaded, nor was his family loaded, well off yes, but it's bc his wife that decided on it. Daughter as well). He was more of the 'should I sent my kid there' type, instead of basically being ordained since birth that you are going.

Now the difference I found regarding Private School kids was, aside from being generally 'smart' (not a genius though), was their mentality. It's like this relative entry level job was just a stepping stone for bigger things. They don't necessarily get a hook-up directly, but definitely must get referrals or referrals in the community from their parent's (Finance/Asset/Wealth Management). Also, depending on which field you're going, mostly 'High' Finance, you automatically get more respect from the interviewers. Also, I don't know if its the parents, or the more Alpha entitled/elitist environment of a private school, they are generally less nervous, more polished, and 'less' nervous right out of the gate. As if they took on more responsibilities earlier. In certain fields, a certain type of confidence and polish really accelerates you ahead out of the gate.

The thing with my ol boss is, come break time, they didn't really travel anywhere. Maybe a to see the Grand Parents. He would just joke about how alot of their kid's friends would travel abroad, while they would just hang around the house during the March break. Can't really see his kid being the more polished, 'prototypical' private school graduate. Even at my work (asset manager), an MD investment guy yesterday joked alot of their kid's friends are in the "Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados.. all the Bs while the poorer ones were stuck behind". Sure the guy clears probably 300-400K but maybe his wife doesn't work and is still considered a poorer guy compared to other families.

So I would say you fully benefit if you are in the peer group/class. If you're not, there might be a slight risk your kid doesn't somehow gel with the more elites, and may graduate somewhat less able to connect with others that didn't go to a Private school.