Tags:
None
Apr 17, 2014
13 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON

Probation periods extended, legal?

Hi all,

I started a new job 3 months ago. On Tuesday my manager told me my work wasn't satisfactory and my probation got extended for 3 more months.

(btw, this is a entry level job in a small company, so is not like i signed a 10 page job offer/contract lol)

My questions:

1.is this legal?
2.technically can they keep extending my probation forever?

any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
9 replies
Mar 28, 2008
629 posts
415 upvotes
In different companies probation means different things. In a small company it doesn't mean squat...

They can pretty much terminate you any time they want anyways, though they'll always have to follow the Employment Standards Act regardless of whether you're on probation, e.g.:

- Your wage needs to be above the minimum wage
- After working there for 3 months, they have to give you notice or pay in-lieu of notice to terminate you.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14473 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Is this the same place you thought the customers were rude and the company itself was disorganized?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
ginola wrote: Hi all,

I started a new job 3 months ago. On Tuesday my manager told me my work wasn't satisfactory and my probation got extended for 3 more months.

(btw, this is a entry level job in a small company, so is not like i signed a 10 page job offer/contract lol)

My questions:

1.is this legal?

If that was the comment, you have other problems to worry about.
Companies can keep you employed without offering you full time as long as they see fit (no sick leave or benefits etc...)
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14473 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
vkizzle wrote: If that was the comment, you have other problems to worry about.
Companies can keep you employed without offering you full time as long as they see fit (no sick leave or benefits etc...)
Well you have to wonder. With prior posts claiming whatever job at the time he didn't like because the customers were rude.

Now told his work wasn't satisfactory. Rather than inquiring as to why it wasn't and what he could do to change things..he'd rather go off on 'is this legal?' Pretty lucky to be offered an additional 3 months. If this employee was such a catch why not go off and get another job then?
Dec 25, 2006
371 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
Will they keep extending your probation forever? Likely not. Usually companies do not drag beyond one extension but it is not written in stone. If they have doubts over your abilities to do the job, they are likely to let you go rather than keep extending your probation period.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
If your work isn't satisfactory they will fire you, not keep extending probation indefinitely. You either need to turn things around or leave on your own.
Jun 6, 2015
8 posts
Edmonton, AB
He gave you another chance to prove yourself. And yes, they can fire you anytime basis on the performance. If I were you, I would be looking for feedback to improve my performance rather than worrying about what is legal or not.
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
ginola wrote: Hi all,

My questions:

1.is this legal?

It may also mean that at the end of the 3 months, the manager might say "sorry, we still find your work unsatisfactory and have to let you go".

Your options is to start (1) finding out what is lacking and improving on them or (2) find employment elsewhere.

Ps. If probation cannot be extended, there wouldn't be a time frame attached to it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)