Tags:
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
76 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Probiotics

Dear all,

I've been having a digestion problem (esp. in the morning) for many years. I tried probiotics yogurt but didn't work. I think it's just a waste of money.
Now I came across probiotics supplements. Anybody has any experience? Any recommendations? Thank you very much.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
481 upvotes
probiotic supplements work IF a lack of probiotics is your digestion problem

few use yogurt for probiotic supplementation

more use kiefer and hubby's sourkrout
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1376 posts
342 upvotes
Brampton, ON
what kind of digestive problems?

IBS maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6717 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
Digestion takes place mainly in the stomach and small intestines via enzymes and acid.
Carb digestion may begin in in the mouth.
Probiotics while it may work in the small intestines do most of it's work in the large intestines after digestion and absorption has taken place.
Certainly quality matters with any supplement and it's always better to get from natural sources.
Your digestive process also uses a lot of glutamine to fuel the process.
Sure you can buy digestive enzymes, probiotics etc, use apple cider vinegar before eating, but you most need to figure waht's wrong with your stomach before you can treat it properly.
That may call for a colonoscopy.
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
I guess I should chime in. My Wife has horrible stomach problems, especially in the morning. She would gag non stop and unsatisfactory bowel movements and often painful. She was not very active and diet well, she ate what ever she wanted and the thing that drives me nuts about her.....High metabolism so if you looked at her you would think she took care of herself.
She decided to start seeing a personal trainer/health coach because modern medicine did not seem to help her with her issues. after a few months her trainer wanted her to do a cleanse so we choose the new year.
The first week was ROUGH!!! I did it along with her to help her through it. All Vegan, as much organic veggies as possible, and no starch/breads. We also supplemented with vegan protein powders and my Wife was using an anti-inflammatory powder to help heal her gut with nutrients. After the 2 weeks we started to introduce meats and carbs.
After a month my Wife has had no troubles with her stomach since and now she is finding various foods now that were giving her problems. I suggest everyone to do this once a year, if only to heal your stomach enzymes and kick start the gut to heal it self like it is meant to do.

Good luck OP and hope you find out what is troubling you.
Feb 11, 2017
6 posts
I have tried a few probiotic brands, including Natural Factors. They don't seem to make me feel much better, but I am sure they working. Takes me a long time to see any noticeable change.

I would suggest trying to get into drinking bone broth. That REALLY helps with digestive issues and heals the gut. If making bone broth seems like a daunting task, just purchase powdered Great Lakes gelatin and get into that. Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
dk1998 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 4:50 pm
Dear all,

I've been having a digestion problem (esp. in the morning) for many years. I tried probiotics yogurt but didn't work. I think it's just a waste of money.
Now I came across probiotics supplements. Anybody has any experience? Any recommendations? Thank you very much.
What did your doctor say?
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
dk1998 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 4:50 pm
Dear all,

It's a scam. I spent a fortune on these things and they did jack. Clean up your diet.In fact Greek Yogurt made me sicker. I cut out dairy completely as well as all processed foods. Doing better than ever,
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
Ojibway Bob wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 1:43 pm
I guess I should chime in. My Wife has horrible stomach problems, especially in the morning. She would gag non stop and unsatisfactory bowel movements and often painful. She was not very active and diet well, she ate what ever she wanted and the thing that drives me nuts about her.....High metabolism so if you looked at her you would think she took care of herself.
She decided to start seeing a personal trainer/health coach because modern medicine did not seem to help her with her issues. after a few months her trainer wanted her to do a cleanse so we choose the new year.
The first week was ROUGH!!! I did it along with her to help her through it. All Vegan, as much organic veggies as possible, and no starch/breads. We also supplemented with vegan protein powders and my Wife was using an anti-inflammatory powder to help heal her gut with nutrients. After the 2 weeks we started to introduce meats and carbs.
After a month my Wife has had no troubles with her stomach since and now she is finding various foods now that were giving her problems. I suggest everyone to do this once a year, if only to heal your stomach enzymes and kick start the gut to heal it self like it is meant to do.

Good luck OP and hope you find out what is troubling you.

LOL!! She didn't "heal" nothing. She went from eating a garbage diet with no exercise to cleaning it up with exercise and she feels better. It's common sense. Has nothing to do with "powder" or the personal trainer.
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
User499372 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 6:33 pm
LOL!! She didn't "heal" nothing. She went from eating a garbage diet with no exercise to cleaning it up with exercise and she feels better. It's common sense. Has nothing to do with "powder" or the personal trainer.
Not entirely, the month long cleanse definitely helped. She was working out for 2 and a half months before the cleanse and still was having alot of problems. But thanks for your input
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My goal is to try and eat yogurt every day.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Mar 8, 2010
3 posts
Toronto
I have digestive problems as well. Would go to the bathroom several times a day and if I ate any dairy i would regret. Everyday I have very smelly farts and my breath stinks. My wife thinks im rotting inside.

I started taking some probiotics on my wife's doctors recommendations. Been about 2 months now and dont really notice much of a change, some days are better, some days are worse. (or normal in my eyes)
I also have a very fast metabolism, so like one of the previous posters said, i look fit, but inside im not so healthy. Due to my poor health I started exercising regularly over the last year. I have seen very little improvements physically.

during my 20s I did eat and have a shitty diet. I've definitely cleaned it up since my wife and I have been together. Its not Fruits and veggies and all of whats required. but its better then fast food, mcdonals and pizza as I was used to.

I would love to say the probiotics im taking are working, but I was never a big supporter of medicine, supplements or anything of that sort. I am thinking about asking my own doctor what she recommends. Exercise, changing my diet and taking supplements have not given me the results I was looking for.
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
TorontoHonda wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:23 pm
I have digestive problems as well. Would go to the bathroom several times a day and if I ate any dairy i would regret. Everyday I have very smelly farts and my breath stinks. My wife thinks im rotting inside.

I started taking some probiotics on my wife's doctors recommendations. Been about 2 months now and dont really notice much of a change, some days are better, some days are worse. (or normal in my eyes)
I also have a very fast metabolism, so like one of the previous posters said, i look fit, but inside im not so healthy. Due to my poor health I started exercising regularly over the last year. I have seen very little improvements physically.

during my 20s I did eat and have a shitty diet. I've definitely cleaned it up since my wife and I have been together. Its not Fruits and veggies and all of whats required. but its better then fast food, mcdonals and pizza as I was used to.

I would love to say the probiotics im taking are working, but I was never a big supporter of medicine, supplements or anything of that sort. I am thinking about asking my own doctor what she recommends. Exercise, changing my diet and taking supplements have not given me the results I was looking for.
I say try a cleanse. It sucks for the first week but man it did my Wife wonders. As much Organic as you can and stay away from breads for the first 2 weeks. No dairy or meat as well. When you wake up in the morning drink a glass of water with a half lemon squeezed and tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I had a nice vinegarette salad with sunflower, pumpkin seeds and almonds as well. Oh and no oranges.

Peeps will flame as trolls often do but it really helped my Wife. Good luck,
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Wow, life sounds like hell for some of you people, lol! I drink milk because I use it as my dietary source of calcium. It is also a source of protein as a post-run drink. Plus, I use it in my coffee. Since I am lactose intolerant, the probiotics in the yogurt ameliorate those negative symptoms.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Oct 13, 2009
208 posts
46 upvotes
North York
Becks wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 10:34 am
Wow, life sounds like hell for some of you people, lol! I drink milk because I use it as my dietary source of calcium. It is also a source of protein as a post-run drink. Plus, I use it in my coffee. Since I am lactose intolerant, the probiotics in the yogurt ameliorate those negative symptoms.
Ya my Wife has been battling a lot of crap most of her life. She is thriving on working out now, She was very inactive but high metabolism. She has to be careful with working out because she has shoulder problems which cause her right shoulder to dislocate about 2-3 times a year. She Suffered a lot from Endometriosis and with that brought on depression and her hormones are out of wack due to a partial hysterectomy. She also now has a surgical hernia and she can still put on her shoes each morning and go to work.

She somehow battles through it and her trainer/life coach has helped her a lot with not just her physical health, but also her mental health as well. If I can help someone else out that is dealing with the shiite life can deal ya.....I am there.