Problem with claim for Credit Card's Extended Warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2010 7:26 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
73 upvotes
Agree with everyone that the OP's rather extreme accusation is baseless as the situation currently stands. This thread should be locked.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17400 posts
9716 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Hunter316 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 10:31 am
I am not sure why any company would have their front line people say something like that to a customer as it is always going to cause frustration.
The front line person may have broken a policy. In any case the CSR may have been trying to prevent frustration, i.e. having the claim rejected after the caller submitted it, by trying to interpret the terms. In any case, we don't know exactly what was said by either party. The caller may have used a keyword that caused the agent to predict the claim would get rejected. There may have been some other miscommunication. We simply don't know.

It's not fair to credit card companies in general to term their EW feature a "scam" based on a single incident and a single phone call. I do hope the OP submits a claim and lets us know the outcome. However, even if the claim is ultimately rejected it hardly means that all CC EWs are a scam. If that were so we'd have seen many, many other posts on that subject. Yet to the contrary, most posts about CC EW that I've seen on RFD (and elsewhere) tend to be positive and comment on how smoothly things went.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 19, 2004
1734 posts
261 upvotes
Edmonton
richardvoyageur wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 10:18 am
I have the Citi Driver's Edge Mastercard and while I have not used the EW on it yet, I have used the price protection and even product assurance (I think that's what it's called, we had an ipod stolen out of a car). In both cases, I was able to get my money, although the stolen one took a long time, almost like a rebate company.

they didn't make you file a police report or car/house insurance claim since it was stolen out of your car?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
I think the phone operator probably tells that to everyone so they are more likely to get discouraged and not file a claim :lol:

Kinda like the same how many people never appeal government decisions like taxes, fines ect because they think nothing will happen...

Anyways,it might help to provide document stating what the lifespan of the product would be.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2128 posts
331 upvotes
Canada
Inherent defects are defects that arise from one or more of the following:

1. poor design,
2. poor specification of materials, and/or
3. poor workmanship.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1285 posts
72 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies...

True, it is too early to label it a scam and in that regard I may have jumped the gun on the title. Yet it is frustrating that I should attempt to file a perfectly honest claim and that they might reject it purely on how I decide to word my description of the problem which is what triggered the whole thing to begin with. Whatever I tell the CSR and what she writes down is really all the adjuster has to base his decision on. And so if from my description the CSR sees it as "inherent product defect", she can easily bias her report that way.

I haven't called back yet as I'm not sure what to tell them...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1074 posts
468 upvotes
5abi wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 2:13 pm
they didn't make you file a police report or car/house insurance claim since it was stolen out of your car?
Not a house insurance claim, but yes I had to get a police report ($32 if memory serves me).

1) called to setup a claim (on day 87 of 90 possible)
2) they sent me a claim form
3) filled in claim form and included police report
4) sent in
5) waited a month and contacted them
6) CSR said they "just shipped out my approval today at 9:45 AM"
7) week later I get my approval telling me to submit a receipt for reimbursement
8) I buy a new ipod and submit everything to the T after taking photocopies
9) wait a month and contact them to see where my claim is at
10) CSR said they "just shipped out my check this morning at 9:45 AM"
11) a week later I got the check

I find it highly suspicious about the CSR activity and completely believe that I the proceedings would have stopped on two occasions if I wouldn't have called in...even though there was no input needed on my part.
Aug 25, 2005
801 posts
68 upvotes
yourmemory wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 6:57 pm
Thanks for all the replies...

True, it is too early to label it a scam and in that regard I may have jumped the gun on the title. Yet it is frustrating that I should attempt to file a perfectly honest claim and that they might reject it purely on how I decide to word my description of the problem which is what triggered the whole thing to begin with. Whatever I tell the CSR and what she writes down is really all the adjuster has to base his decision on. And so if from my description the CSR sees it as "inherent product defect", she can easily bias her report that way.

I haven't called back yet as I'm not sure what to tell them...
What happened with your claim?
Aug 25, 2005
801 posts
68 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2009 9:42 am
Of course, there's also the fact that it's kind of hard for something that's given to you free to be a 'scam' since a scam is normally something that attempts to deprive you of something of value, such as money.
If you can't claim the EW on something that should be eligible, it is a SCAM since the credit card company offered it as a feature for using their card.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
209 upvotes
Surrey
redac wrote:
Jan 6th, 2010 12:04 am
If you can't claim the EW on something that should be eligible, it is a SCAM since the credit card company offered it as a feature for using their card.
Are you paying for the service? Most likely not.
Are they denying all claims? No.
Are they enforcing the terms and conditions of the policy (as outlined in the CC terms and conditions you received with the card)? You betcha.

scam (skm) Slang
n.
A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams
To defraud; swindle.

Noun 1. scam - a fraudulent business scheme
cozenage
swindle, cheat, rig - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme; "that book is a fraud"

Verb 1. scam - deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"
bunco, con, defraud, diddle, gip, goldbrick, gyp, hornswoggle, mulct, nobble, rook, swindle, short-change, victimize
short, short-change - cheat someone by not returning him enough money
cheat, rip off, chisel - deprive somebody of something by deceit; "The con-man beat me out of $50"; "This salesman ripped us off!"; "we were cheated by their clever-sounding scheme"; "They chiseled me out of my money"

Nope...doesn't look like it meets any of the definitions. Sorry. ;)
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
986 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
^You are wrong. The extended warranty itself is 'something of value' to anyone who was specifically looking for that feature in a credit card, and the extended warranty feature might have made potential clients choose that card over another.
Aug 25, 2005
801 posts
68 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jan 6th, 2010 12:24 am
Are you paying for the service? Most likely not.
Are they denying all claims? No.
Are they enforcing the terms and conditions of the policy (as outlined in the CC terms and conditions you received with the card)? You betcha.

scam (skm) Slang
n.
A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams
To defraud; swindle.

Noun 1. scam - a fraudulent business scheme
cozenage
swindle, cheat, rig - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme; "that book is a fraud"

Verb 1. scam - deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"
bunco, con, defraud, diddle, gip, goldbrick, gyp, hornswoggle, mulct, nobble, rook, swindle, short-change, victimize
short, short-change - cheat someone by not returning him enough money
cheat, rip off, chisel - deprive somebody of something by deceit; "The con-man beat me out of $50"; "This salesman ripped us off!"; "we were cheated by their clever-sounding scheme"; "They chiseled me out of my money"

Nope...doesn't look like it meets any of the definitions. Sorry. ;)
Acutally it does fall into the category of "deprive of by deceit" if the item should indeed be eleigible for the claim but the CC company is denying it.

And you are certainly wrong about not paying for it. You are paying for it directly (i.e. yearly membership) and/or indirectly through the discount rates charged to the merchant for accepting the credit card.

"The discount rate comprises a number of dues, fees, assessments, network charges and mark-ups merchants are required to pay for accepting credit and debit cards"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1285 posts
72 upvotes
Just received a cheque today!! :D

The original person I spoke with the first time I called must in fact just have been trying to discourage me from filling the claim, after all there is a little bit of work involved. I had to call the credit card and pay $2 for a copy of the original cc statement, find the original warranty card that came with the product and call the manufacturer and speak to several people explaining i needed a letter to send to the insurance company stating the item was not repairable). I suppose if any of the things they asked for were missing, that would have been enough basis for them to deny my claim.

So i guess the lesson here is keep all the necessary documents for a possible future claim, and disregard any attempts by CSRs to discourage you from filing.
Aug 25, 2005
801 posts
68 upvotes
yourmemory wrote:
Jan 6th, 2010 2:47 pm
Just received a cheque today!! :D

The original person I spoke with the first time I called must in fact just have been trying to discourage me from filling the claim, after all there is a little bit of work involved. I had to call the credit card and pay $2 for a copy of the original cc statement, find the original warranty card that came with the product and call the manufacturer and speak to several people explaining i needed a letter to send to the insurance company stating the item was not repairable). I suppose if any of the things they asked for were missing, that would have been enough basis for them to deny my claim.

So i guess the lesson here is keep all the necessary documents for a possible future claim, and disregard any attempts by CSRs to discourage you from filing.
Congrats! Glad you got your $ back.

Did you get replacement cost? or did they just refurn your money?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1285 posts
72 upvotes
Refunded the purchase price + tax! for what I paid on an external 1tb WD drive 2 years ago....= $227