• Jan 7th, 2010 7:26 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2005
788 posts
63 upvotes
yourmemory wrote:
Jan 6th, 2010 4:24 pm
Refunded the purchase price + tax! for what I paid on an external 1tb WD drive 2 years ago....= $227

Awesome!

I had a situation a few years ago where I had to cleam accidental breakage -- they also refunded the purchase price + tax.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1284 posts
72 upvotes
Here's an important tip that might seem obvious to some, but that I didn't do and it almost caused my claim to be denied:
READ THE TERMS OF THE EXTENDED WARRANTY BEFORE OPENING A CLAIM.

When I called the first time, I told them the product started failing since about 3 months.... BIG MISTAKE :!:

The claim can only be filed within 30 days of the product failing.

The thing is the drive never actually failed completely. It works, but ejects itself for no reason whenever it feels like it. Impossible transferring anything over 5gb.

So I didn't complete the claim the first time, and when I called the second time, now aware of this condition, I told them it had just failed, and voilà!
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I find with any insurance claim in general.

The less you talk the better. Just tell them in simple term and let them do the legwork.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1284 posts
72 upvotes
whampoa wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:15 am

The less you talk the better. Just tell them in simple term and let them do the legwork.
Agreed.

And they did ask on both occasions: "when did the loss or damage occur?"
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
yourmemory wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 2:46 am
Agreed.

And they did ask on both occasions: "when did the loss or damage occur?"
...and you told them the truth, right? After all, most good people don't think it's okay to lie to rip off insurance companies, and it's a little hypocritical to complain when insurance companies deny a claim for a valid reason. :twisted:

More often than not it's not a case of the insurance company being evil scam artists, but a case of the customer not bothering to read the policy documentations to familiarise themselves with what is covered and under what circumstances.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
208 upvotes
Surrey
whampoa wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 12:15 am

I look at police and border guards the same way. Answer their questions honestly, but don't volunteer anything else. Avoids any misunderstandings and delays (though if you get a grumpy US Customs officer, it's a good way to really make them mad without putting yourself into a spot of bother).
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1284 posts
72 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 3:20 am
...and you told them the truth, right? After all, most good people don't think it's okay to lie to rip off insurance companies, and it's a little hypocritical to complain when insurance companies deny a claim for a valid reason. :twisted:

More often than not it's not a case of the insurance company being evil scam artists, but a case of the customer not bothering to read the policy documentations to familiarise themselves with what is covered and under what circumstances.
Oh man, you nailed it on the head! Insurance companies are such benefactors!! Poor them raking in millions of dollars paying people called "adjusters" premiums and bonuses for finding ways to screw you out of your benefit...

Yes, the issue started happening 3 months ago when I was already out of manufacturer's warranty. Why should I say it happened 3 months ago and needlessly invalidate my claim?? What real difference does it make to them if the thing went faulty and I didn't report it in the first 30 days?? I was actually hoping it would fix itself and I wouldn't have to claim anything. The only difference it makes is they would have had to pay me 3 months ago instead of now.

Get off your moral high horse!
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10893 posts
2220 upvotes
Kingston
yourmemory wrote:
Jan 6th, 2010 2:47 pm
Just received a cheque today!! :D

The original person I spoke with the first time I called must in fact just have been trying to discourage me from filling the claim, after all there is a little bit of work involved. I had to call the credit card and pay $2 for a copy of the original cc statement, find the original warranty card that came with the product and call the manufacturer and speak to several people explaining i needed a letter to send to the insurance company stating the item was not repairable). I suppose if any of the things they asked for were missing, that would have been enough basis for them to deny my claim.

So i guess the lesson here is keep all the necessary documents for a possible future claim, and disregard any attempts by CSRs to discourage you from filing.
So in the end, the insurance completely fulfilled their obligations without any real problem beyond the initial CSR indicating their might be a problem with the claim, right?

How about manning up and editing your original post to say what happened in the end. And maybe fix the title to "How I worked myself into a tizzy worrying about how there might be a problem with a Credit Card Extended Warranty when there really wasn't a problem at all and I actually ended up making money on the deal because of a fat payout"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1284 posts
72 upvotes
JWL wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 3:50 pm
So in the end, the insurance completely fulfilled their obligations without any real problem beyond the initial CSR indicating their might be a problem with the claim, right?
Yes, they did after I spoke with a different CSR (who actually turned out to be the adjuster herself) and didn't fearmonger me into believing my claim would be denied.
JWL wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 3:50 pm
How about manning up and editing your original post to say what happened in the end. And maybe fix the title to "How I worked myself into a tizzy worrying about how there might be a problem with a Credit Card Extended Warranty when there really wasn't a problem at all and I actually ended up making money on the deal because of a fat payout"
sheesh, delete the thread for all I care, I just came back to update y'all on the issue... I'd go around patrolling your posts and being a jacka$$ but I got better things to do.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10893 posts
2220 upvotes
Kingston
yourmemory wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 5:29 pm
sheesh, delete the thread for all I care, I just came back to update y'all on the issue... I'd go around patrolling your posts and being a jacka$$ but I got better things to do.
OK, maybe my post was a bit harsh, but read all the posts immediately after your original post. They all say you were heaping unfair criticism on credit card extended warranties without ever actually making a claim. You now have the opportunity to go back and set the record straight, why not do it?