• Dec 20th, 2012 7:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes

Problem installing CM10 - Status 7 Error

i successfully rooted and installed CWM but when i try to install CM10 from the recovery mode i get a "status 7 error" I googled this and it seems like a lot of people have the same issue. They said to delete 3 lines in the script inside the zip file. When I do this, and i try to install CM10 it gives me a (bad) error instead.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4855 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Which variant of the Galaxy S3 do you own? In either case, you can follow my instructions on flashing the CWM image via Terminal on your phone (you can also do it via ADB from your PC):

http://www.asadakhtar.com/2012/11/rooti ... -s3-i747m/
As per the instructions, if you just want a rooted phone, you can stop right here. BUT if you want CM10, you will need to install a custom recovery manager on your phone. An important aspect that is ignored in the post above is that CM10 is only compatible with certain recovery managers that support d2ATT. The one that I can guarantee is compatible with CM10 is: recovery-clockwork-6.0.1.2-d2att.img

http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recov ... -d2att.img
In the link above, it mentions you can use TeamWin Recovery or load CWM through Goo.IM or Rom Manager. That is not correct, at least for Canadian variants in my experience. Team Win Recovery is not compatible with CM10 (d2ATT recovery is only supported) and it will give you an Error 7 if you try to flash a Rom with it. Rom Manager also may not provide you with your variants (i.e. no Galaxy S3 for Canadian or AT&T under its list). If this is the case, your only option is ADB push the recovery to your phone or use terminal emulator on your device to flash the recovery this way.

I opted to use Terminal on my device to flash the recovery (copy the file to the root of your internal SD card and rename it to: “recovery.img”. If you do not have terminal installed, find it on the Play store and install it. Once you open it, type in the following commands:

shell@android:/ $ su (You will be prompted by Super User for permission, allow it)

shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

At this point, you should have the latest Clockworks Recovery on your device. You can now copy the Clockworks Recovery to your internal SD card and flash as usual (Booting into CWM is: center + Volume up for 5 seconds after phone turns off). MAKE SURE you perform a Nandroid backup in CWM (Backup -> BackUp) as you will need to do a full wipe (from CWM, NOT YOUR ROM) to your device to flash CM10.
Le me know if it works for you or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 6:40 pm
Which variant of the Galaxy S3 do you own? In either case, you can follow my instructions on flashing the CWM image via Terminal on your phone (you can also do it via ADB from your PC):

http://www.asadakhtar.com/2012/11/rooti ... -s3-i747m/

Le me know if it works for you or not.

i tried using the terminal but i keep getting no file or directory exists...

am i putting the image file in the wrong area? I just putted into the main folder that opens when you connect the phone to pc
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4855 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 11:33 pm
Try following these instructions.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy- ... ll-103347/
That is for an i9300 (international). If the OP has a Candian carrier GS3, which is an i747, he probably shouldn't be using that guide.
azncapcom wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 7:04 pm
i tried using the terminal but i keep getting no file or directory exists...

am i putting the image file in the wrong area? I just putted into the main folder that opens when you connect the phone to pc
You need to put the recovery.img file in the root of your SD card folder. This is probably not the main folder that comes when you connect your phone to your PC, you need to find the folder called "SD CARD" and drop the file in there. You can also just change the command line to reflect where it is but if you want to follow what I wrote above, I would just do it that way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
sahilz wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 2:58 am
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1743780

Once recovery is flashed, do NOT boot into OS as it will overwrite the CWM recovery with stock recovery. Keep hands ready for recovery buttons. Volume Up + Home.
i successfully installed CWM but when i try to install CM10 from the recovery mode i get a "status 7 error" I googled this and it seems like a lot of people have the same issue. They said to delete 3 lines in the script inside the zip file. When I do this, and i try to install CM10 it gives me a (bad) error instead.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11055 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 11:59 am
i successfully installed CWM but when i try to install CM10 from the recovery mode i get a "status 7 error" I googled this and it seems like a lot of people have the same issue. They said to delete 3 lines in the script inside the zip file. When I do this, and i try to install CM10 it gives me a (bad) error instead.
Not sure if this will help but have you wiped the caches and formatted the system before running the installation?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 3:23 pm
Not sure if this will help but have you wiped the caches and formatted the system before running the installation?
yes i have tried all sorts of ways... still no dice...

also when im in recovery mode it says version 5.5 but i clearly installed the version 6.0.1.2? I tried multiple different recovery images too
May 15, 2010
295 posts
23 upvotes
North York
azncapcom wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 4:11 pm
yes i have tried all sorts of ways... still no dice...

also when im in recovery mode it says version 5.5 but i clearly installed the version 6.0.1.2? I tried multiple different recovery images too
Instead of CWM, use TWRP. Apparently TWRP is more compatible with current ROMs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
kieum90 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 4:27 pm
Instead of CWM, use TWRP. Apparently TWRP is more compatible with current ROMs.
according to the article...

quote/
In the link above, it mentions you can use TeamWin Recovery or load CWM through Goo.IM or Rom Manager. That is not correct, at least for Canadian variants in my experience. Team Win Recovery is not compatible with CM10 (d2ATT recovery is only supported) and it will give you an Error 7 if you try to flash a Rom with it. Rom Manager also may not provide you with your variants (i.e. no Galaxy S3 for Canadian or AT&T under its list). If this is the case, your only option is ADB push the recovery to your phone or use terminal emulator on your device to flash the recovery this way.
/quote

so according to the article, using TWRP would give me the error status 7 as well. It says CWM using terminal will work, but its not working for me...

This is so frustrating, spent 2 days on this now.
May 15, 2010
295 posts
23 upvotes
North York
azncapcom wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 6:03 pm
according to the article...

quote/
/quote

so according to the article, using TWRP would give me the error status 7 as well. It says CWM using terminal will work, but its not working for me...

This is so frustrating, spent 2 days on this now.
Really? I'm on CM10 right with my GS2. Interesting.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4855 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 1:22 am
You need to put the recovery.img file in the root of your SD card folder. This is probably not the main folder that comes when you connect your phone to your PC, you need to find the folder called "SD CARD" and drop the file in there. You can also just change the command line to reflect where it is but if you want to follow what I wrote above, I would just do it that way.

OP, did you read this? I am 99.9999% sure this is your issue right here (you are not putting the image in the same folder you are pointing the terminal command to).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 9:17 pm
OP, did you read this? I am 99.9999% sure this is your issue right here (you are not putting the image in the same folder you are pointing the terminal command to).
yeah the root folder is just the most outer folder. After re copy and pasting the image file a few times, the command in terminal worked fine and i got the CWM to work fine. My problem is still with the CM10 part where it gives me the status 7 error when i am trying to install it.
× < >