Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 6, 2010
176 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Problem paying toll for NY

We went to NYC from Toronto in last week of Dec, 2013 for 1 week. On Dec. 30 at 01:15 am, at George Washington Bridge - Palisades there was nobody to take toll from us. So we went through. Spent a week there and came back home.

Now we received a notice from the Port Authority of NY & NJ saying your car passed through without paying the toll. They are asking for 13$ if received by Jan 28 else 63$ if received after Jan 28. They said that to pay through their web site is easiest. So I went to their website www.e-zpassny.com/payviolation. As I dont have E-ZPass so I opted to pay through credit card. Now I reached at Payment Entry web page. Fill out the credit card and billing address information. In the Billing Address section, I selected CAN in the Country field; ON in the State field; then type in my postal code in the Zip field. When I click on continue button, I get this error message:
Entered Zip Code doesn't match with the state.

I dont know why it is giving me this error message. Has anybody here paid toll on this web site?
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5150 posts
658 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Call the customer service number.
Feb 12, 2013
377 posts
73 upvotes
jy1970us wrote:
Jan 21st, 2014 11:16 pm
We went to NYC from Toronto in last week of Dec, 2013 for 1 week. On Dec. 30 at 01:15 am, at George Washington Bridge - Palisades there was nobody to take toll from us. So we went through. Spent a week there and came back home.

Now we received a notice from the Port Authority of NY & NJ saying your car passed through without paying the toll. They are asking for 13$ if received by Jan 28 else 63$ if received after Jan 28. They said that to pay through their web site is easiest. So I went to their website www.e-zpassny.com/payviolation. As I dont have E-ZPass so I opted to pay through credit card. Now I reached at Payment Entry web page. Fill out the credit card and billing address information. In the Billing Address section, I selected CAN in the Country field; ON in the State field; then type in my postal code in the Zip field. When I click on continue button, I get this error message:

I dont know why it is giving me this error message. Has anybody here paid toll on this web site?
I would make sure to try and get this waived especilly if no one was there...
pretty unjustified fine
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6930 posts
949 upvotes
I tried getting a EZPass ...same problem. Gave up with their messed up form
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3111 posts
2971 upvotes
Montreal
jy1970us wrote:
Jan 21st, 2014 11:16 pm
Fill out the credit card and billing address information. In the Billing Address section, I selected CAN in the Country field; ON in the State field; then type in my postal code in the Zip field. When I click on continue button, I get this error message:

You can try to enter using 3 numbers of your postal code + any 2 numbers to form a valid US zip code (you can try to search that zipcode on Google to see there is any match).
To prove that the credit card is yours, just take your postal code and strip out all the letters and enter the numbers. You'll only get 3 numbers from your postal code (my three numbers are 706) and you can have any two numbers after those three - and it will satisfy the zip code validation. So, in my case any zip code from 70600 to 70699 will work with the credit card validation algorithm. This "back door" in VISA validation was created specifically for foreigners who find themselves in the US and get prompted for their billing address "zip code", but it works pretty much everywhere since it is the same code on VISAs computers that validates the card on Hulu as it does for the gas station.
http://tinyurl.com/kwx25n2 (help.uno_telly.com/support/articles/17021-how-to-sign-up-hulu-plus-outside-usa)
Feb 12, 2013
377 posts
73 upvotes
X360 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2014 1:07 am
You can try to enter using 3 numbers of your postal code + any 2 numbers to form a valid US zip code (you can try to search that zipcode on Google to see there is any match).

http://tinyurl.com/kwx25n2 (help.uno_telly.com/support/articles/17021-how-to-sign-up-hulu-plus-outside-usa)
Would OP run into problems in processing of payment? The jump of $13 to $63 is quite substantial...
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3566 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Beachdown wrote:
Jan 21st, 2014 11:42 pm
Call the customer service number.
I would agree with that too.

Sounds like their website was designed to accept payments from Canada but it doesn't actually work (which isn't all that uncommon). You can try the 3 numbers from your PostalCode plus 00 but I suspect that won't work either (it used to work for me at US gas stations but I don't remember the last time it worked. I try it every time I get gas and always end up going inside).
[OP]
Feb 6, 2010
176 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If I use the 3 digits of my postal code and put 00 at end to make it a zip code; only concern is will it process or will the system flag it because the postal code doesn't match with what I have on my credit card file.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6930 posts
949 upvotes
Might not want to post your postal code online....they are pretty accurate to locating where you live
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5121 posts
915 upvotes
Montreal
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2014 10:54 am
Might not want to post your postal code online....they are pretty accurate to locating where you live
Yep, it can be narrowed down to 16 houses in this case.

Also, that's a Markham postal code, not Richmond Hill.

OP, you should follow Beachdown's advice and call Port Authority. Why risk having an extra $50 of fees tacked on?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4651 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
What if he doesn't pay it? Can it effect his Ontario car/license/etc?

A lot of American cars use the 407ETR and don't pay a penny.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10338 posts
1843 upvotes
Kingston
charlie1234 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2014 12:43 am
I would make sure to try and get this waived especilly if no one was there...
pretty unjustified fine
I think the $13 is likely the toll. If OP doesn't pay there is a $50 fine.
transitguy1 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2014 6:26 pm
What if he doesn't pay it? Can it effect his Ontario car/license/etc?

A lot of American cars use the 407ETR and don't pay a penny.
NY drivers do get billed for 407 use so there is likely reciprocal billing agreements. Might not impact OP's Ontario licensing but if he plans on ever returning to NY he'd be taking a risk. It is a legitimate toll, why not just pay it? It's $13.
[OP]
Feb 6, 2010
176 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ok talked to their customer service. They dont know how to put Canadian postal code in the ZIP field. Looks like a bug in their online system since they do allow to select Canada and a Canadian province for address. They told me to send the payment by mail. Also advised me to send a letter saying that since I received the letter so late and because of the online payment issue, please dont charge the extra fees if the payment reach after the due date. So I have send the payment with a letter by mail. Lets see. Canada Post person told me it will take 4-6 business days to reach NY. For Express delivery Canada Post was asking for 25$ :-0 what a ripoff.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
92 upvotes
I like how they admit there's a bug in their system, the fact that you couldn't pay the toll wasn't your fault, and you don't even live in the same country as them, but they still expect you to bend over backwards to pay via snail mail. OP, you have the patience of a saint. If it were me, heads would have rolled by now.

Given your kind disposition, I'd politely tell them to erase the bill from their system for all of the above reasons. You shouldn't have to go through all this hassle for a bridge toll and any respectable company will acknowledge this. With the amount of time you've wasted on this already, they should be paying you.
I want to grow up to be a debaser,
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1429 posts
115 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
vaportrails wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2014 11:15 am
I like how they admit there's a bug in their system, the fact that you couldn't pay the toll wasn't your fault, and you don't even live in the same country as them, but they still expect you to bend over backwards to pay via snail mail. OP, you have the patience of a saint. If it were me, heads would have rolled by now.

Given your kind disposition, I'd politely tell them to erase the bill from their system for all of the above reasons. You shouldn't have to go through all this hassle for a bridge toll and any respectable company will acknowledge this. With the amount of time you've wasted on this already, they should be paying you.
I've never found the gov't to provide much compensation for providing bad service, and since the port authority is a gov't agency, my gut is that they can escalate an unpaid charge severely. If you want to continue travelling to the US, I'd pay it promptly. Although a different situation, my father was denied entry into the US because of an unpaid speeding ticket (which incidentally took several years to wind through the system after he initially ignore the notice, so the fine was enormous).