• Aug 7th, 2011 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2005
501 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

Problem Solved - Asus WL-520GU Router

I have been trying to set up my router following the instructions that came with the router, but I am having some problems.

I have a cable modem, so I have set the router to dynamic IP. I entered the MAC ID from my old router into this router. I connected it and everything seemed to work fine, then I went to setup the wireless and did one change in the wireless setting and get the following error. (I was still connected through ethernet cable to the router, so the change should not make a difference.)
You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your WL-520GU.

I re do the steps of plugging in the cable modem to the router, and I get the connection again, as I am trying to figure out how to set up my wireless again the connection drops and I get the same error once again. You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your WL-520GU.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong that I get a connection and then it is lost.

When I tried to connect using the wireless (ethernet unplugged) I am unable to connect, I get an error saying to try and refresh that the particular wireless network I am trying to connect to is no longer there.

I have the following settings for my wireless.
Wireless Mode: Auto with the 54g protection box checked
Authentication Method: Shared Key
WPA Encryption: AES (preselected greyed out so I can not change it)
WPA Pre-Shared Key: Please type Password ( this is greyed out so I can not type)
WEP Encryption: WEP -64 bits
key index:4
WEP key 1: this is my password

Hopefully someone can help me.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
Post a screenshot of your routers gui settings
The sweetest gyal
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
screenshot of your lan and wan router page.
Sep 22, 2010
272 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
interesting, i experienced a similar problem with my new N16 router yesterday.

my solution: flash tomatousb firmware, reset default, setup LAN/wireless, problem solved

conclusion: asus firmware s**ks
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
Agree with all. A screenshot will help.

Forget about WEP. Do not use it (unless your device is WEP only). Focus on WPA. Choose TKIP.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
You should change the stock firmware to Tomato...
Dec 25, 2005
501 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Here are the WAN, LAN and Wireless screenshots.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
get off stock firmware is what i would reccomend.
ddwrt or tomato will do fine.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
Disable wep and see if you can connect. If it does, change the encryptioin to WPA2

---------------------

What?? Port forward have nothing to do with this...
hightech wrote: Perhaps this link would help you: http://screenshots.portforward.com/
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Not quite understand whatyou are talking about. The picture doesn't indicate any error also. You got the error from within the setupor from a computer connecting to the router?
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
He's saying he can't connect to his wireless when he's got wep on
Avatar wrote: Not quite understand whatyou are talking about. The picture doesn't indicate any error also. You got the error from within the setupor from a computer connecting to the router?

whoam wrote:
When I tried to connect using the wireless (ethernet unplugged) I am unable to connect, I get an error saying to try and refresh that the particular wireless network I am trying to connect to is no longer there.
The sweetest gyal
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
it could just be chipset compatibility issues.
Sep 22, 2010
272 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
this is my last configuration before i move to tomatousb

uncheck 54g protection box
WPA2-personal
AES
WPA button disabled(this feature is absolutely annoying, i just want to enter password and done)

it worked fine for most of my wireless devices;however, some of them popup a message like:
additional log on information required. (cannot access internet, where and what kind of info do i need besides password? boo...)
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
atxavier wrote: this is my last configuration before i move to tomatousb

WPA2-personal
AES
WPA button disabled(this feature is absolutely annoying, i just want to enter password and done)

it worked fine for most of my wireless devices;however, some of them popup a message like:
additional log on information required. (cannot access internet, where and what kind of info do i need besides password? boo...)

you like tomato a lot.
Sep 22, 2010
272 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
infamouskid wrote: you like tomato a lot.

actually i like dd-wrt better than tomato :razz:
i'm sick of tomatousb's web ui :(
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes

WPA2-personal
AES

Sounds like you have a handshaking problem between pc and router. First make sure the problem pc has a strong signal first. Try setting AP isolated to No. Data/multicast rate to Auto. Set channel width to 20 not auto as other might connect it at 40. Play around by lowering Beacon Interval to 50. Disable Tx burst which is only support by certain cards. Also Greenfield is only good for new adapters.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Dec 25, 2005
501 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

WPA2-personal
AES

Thanks this worked for me. Will stay with this setup for a while and think about changing the firmware later.