Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8946 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto

Processor speed has reached its limit?

I forgot where I read this article.. but it basically said that the processor race is over.. that both parties have reached its limits.. and we need a new breakthrough to continue making faster and better processors.. true?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
I would think they would use a non-conductive metal so that the higher mhz processors won't fry. Just a theory.
Nov 15, 2003
684 posts
Yes,especially for Intel.
I think they should design fast dual CPUs that can work as one. Then we can have true 8-16(quad)Ghz systems.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
MtX wrote:I forgot where I read this article.. but it basically said that the processor race is over.. that both parties have reached its limits.. and we need a new breakthrough to continue making faster and better processors.. true?
For the near term, yes. For the longer term, they need some break-thrus in the manufacturing process. Totally different material maybe.

So we will probably not see 5GHz for at least a couple of years ... It maybe a good thing for users. Cheap speed increase from hardware is harder to come by. We may finally see smarter software design from now on ...
Oct 20, 2002
256 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Dual core cpus is the next step the mfg are taking. Supposily AMD will release a dual core A64 in the fall. Intel will most likely redesign the P-M for desktop use, add another core and call it their next pentium
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Yes.

Just like 640K is enough memory anyone will ever need. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Prices will probably keep going the same way they always do.

Just because the speeds have reached their limits doesn't mean they're won't be new CPU's released. I'm sure they will find some marketing terms that they can use to hype "new" features that do nothing.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
They had the same problem with either 2 or 3 GHz, that they had to re-design the interfaces and cooling systems.
- Absolute
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
willy wrote: We may finally see smarter software design from now on ...
haha, good one. as far as the modern software industry is concerned, bloatware = betterware