Shopping Discussion

Product shrinkage and price increases. Why and how?!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2010 7:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto

Product shrinkage and price increases. Why and how?!

I have been noticing this happening more and more lately.

Product shrinkage and often times a price increase. Here's an example: Tropicana OJ priced at $4.49 for 1.75L. It used to be $3.99 for a 1.89L of the same carton. How can companies do this? It feels like they're shortchanging the consumer in anyway they can. Not only has Tropicana been doing this but also President's Choice (Loblaws) brands, Irresistibles (METRO) brands, MinuteMaid, Oasis and many more.

It isn't just happening with juices, but also ice creams, granola bars, etc. I know a company can do whatever they really want, but can someone explain to me how they can so easily get away with this?! Are the consumers out there so blinded by sales that mask price increases?!

Another thing. Remember when there were damaged crops in Florida which lead to orange shortages? We saw a big spike in orange juice prices. I remember Tropicana OJ (1.89L) was $2.99 then boosted to $3.49 to $3.99 and now to $4.49 (for 1.75L). Are the crops still suffering from poor yields? If they aren't (which is what I'm assuming) then why aren't the savings being passed on to the customer?
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
40 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
Why and how you ask? Because they think we are idiots and don't notice the ever shrinking packages. The reality is that many people don't notice. Every packaged products' manufacturer is doing it and have been for a long time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 3:36 pm
Why and how you ask? Because they think we are idiots and don't notice the ever shrinking packages. The reality is that many people don't notice. Every packaged products' manufacturer is doing it and have been for a long time.

Must be. The cartons look pretty much exactly the same too. Take a 1.89L and a 1.75L and stand them side-by-side and they look the same.

It really sucks that we are losing out because of...greed.

Peace!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2232 posts
498 upvotes
Rising costs....I don't have any problem with them making changes. It's not like they are claiming it's 1.89L when they are now selling 1.75L.

Costs have gone up across the board........it's either increase prices, or cut quantity.

Sure, it sucks paying more, but it's not some big conspiracy. It's just the way it is......
Apr 18, 2010
66 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Well nothing is going to have a stagnant price over your lifetime - if your wages increase over the years, so will the cost of living.
Some people complain when the reduce the amount they give you without lowering the price. Others complain when they reformulate the product and cut corners on the quality to trim their costs. A flat out honest price increase on the exact same item would upset other people too.
As jrees said, inflation is a normal part of life.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think you can put that all on inflation and costs.

I don't mind the increase in price so much but having the product lose it's original/standard size and a price bump is ridiculous.

Are we going to see 2L milk cartons shrink size now too? I'm used to seeing milk & dairy prices go up pretty much every year but I haven't seen any milk sizes shrink down.

Peace!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8819 posts
2222 upvotes
London
Pro wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 2:19 pm
I have been noticing this happening more and more lately.

I remember my parents complaining about this at the dinner table 30 years ago. It's nothing new.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
Some changes are just very inconvenient. I feel like I am constantly changing the toilet paper roll and I live alone. I can't imagine how many rolls a large family goes through. The rolls are so small now even when you buy the double rolls. I'd rather they raise the price than make the rolls any smaller. You can say the same for a variety of other products.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1839 posts
189 upvotes
If you don't like the price increases, then don't buy the product. It's pretty simple. If you buy the product, then it means you are OK with the changes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8227 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Pro wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 5:25 pm
I don't think you can put that all on inflation and costs.
actually you pretty much can
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1033 posts
81 upvotes
same with mcdonald burgers! They are getting smaller..The bigmac looks cute now.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
775 upvotes
guessaaa wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 6:43 pm
If you don't like the price increases, then don't buy the product. It's pretty simple. If you buy the product, then it means you are OK with the changes.

It's like saying, if you don't like HST or tax increases, then don't live in Canada. If you pay taxes, then it means you are OK with the changes. If you don't pay taxes,...oh well...go south?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8819 posts
2222 upvotes
London
bonita! wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 6:53 pm
same with mcdonald burgers! They are getting smaller..The bigmac looks cute now.

A Big Mac in Canada and the US has always been the same size.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3801 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
belowzeros wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 6:46 pm
actually you pretty much can

Ok. Well if we can blame this on increasing manufacturing costs and inflation. Why not just increase the price again? Or just shrink the size...again!?
Why do both?
bonita! wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 6:53 pm

LOL. I don't know about McDs but I know Wendy's shrunk the size of their Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. It's too "cute" now

Peace!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3657 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
I don't under stand how people can shop at the smaller grocery stores, such as Metro, Inter-Marché IGA. Stuff there is often 1.5x to 2x more expensive than places like MAXI/RCSS or Costco. It's totally ridiculous how much they charge for food, you'd be better off eating out almost.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0