[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5633 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC

Profanity Filter for Advertising

I know that RFD has the following site-wide forum rule,

“Profanity is not allowed (this includes bypassing the bad word filters and using asterisks or other characters instead)”.

You might want to mention this to the advertising service you use.

I just saw the following on an advertising banner,

“From okay sound To oh sh*t sound.”
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
13 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13981 posts
934 upvotes
Is it ok to swear and let the filter do it's job? So not bypassing the filter, but letting it replace the word with ****? I asked Tom this and he never got back to me.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 27, 2003
8514 posts
1735 upvotes
Newmarket
Ojam wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:09 pm
Is it ok to swear and let the filter do it's job? So not bypassing the filter, but letting it replace the word with ****? I asked Tom this and he never got back to me.
Profanity is against the rules; however, you won't have any issues if the filter blocks a swear word unless the entire sentence is full of filtered words.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5633 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
MrDisco wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:25 pm
for what it's worth, "shit" is no longer banned.
My recollection is that it was banned in the past.

Is there a list somewhere of what swear words are permitted?

God
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5633 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
MrDisco wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:17 pm
that's the only word which was lifted a few months ago.
Is there a list? People’s views no doubt differ and the views of RFD change over time. I have reported shit in the past and seen it changed and not changed, causing me to be uncertain in the past. I report other words as well that sometimes get changed and other times do not. I have assume do it was based on differences between mods. If there is a list, it might be helpful to know what the words are.

God
Sep 30, 2001
26605 posts
5519 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:57 pm
Is there a list? People’s views no doubt differ and the views of RFD change over time. I have reported shit in the past and seen it changed and not changed, causing me to be uncertain in the past. I report other words as well that sometimes get changed and other times do not. I have assume do it was based on differences between mods. If there is a list, it might be helpful to know what the words are.
i'm not aware of a list.

to keep it simple - if it's words you wouldn't use in a professional business presentation, then it's probably not allowed here either.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8654 posts
12973 upvotes
Scarborough
There's no public list and we advise users to use common sense when choosing what words to use in their posts. It's very unlikely anyone will receive a penalty on a first offence if they happen to use a censored word which the filter doesn't automatically remove.

Back to the original question, no the advertisements don't go through our forums censor. If you happen to see one which you think is offensive, take a screen shot and send it to support@redflagdeals.com for review.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5633 posts
635 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
MrDisco wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:00 pm
i'm not aware of a list.

to keep it simple - if it's words you wouldn't use in a professional business presentation, then it's probably not allowed here either.
I have never used the word shit in a professional business presentation. I would be surprised if you said that RFD would use the word shit in a professional business presentation. Up until today I would have been shocked if someone else did.

God
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
16193 posts
4708 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I notice that if a thread title has a profanity in it, say the word **** for example, and i get a thumbs up for a post in that thread, I can see the unfiltered profanity on my account history.

I’m not complaining. It’s refreshing to see an unfiltered curse word on the forums.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8654 posts
12973 upvotes
Scarborough
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:32 pm
I notice that if a thread title has a profanity in it, say the word **** for example, and i get a thumbs up for a post in that thread, I can see the unfiltered profanity on my account history.

I’m not complaining. It’s refreshing to see an unfiltered curse word on the forums.
There was a similar issue in this regard with emails which was fixed. Send me a PM with a screenshot and I'll submit a bug ticket.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7303 posts
1016 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrDisco wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:25 pm
for what it's worth, "shit" is no longer banned.
whaaaaaaaaaaat???????????
I got an edited message for saying "sexual intercourse". No profanity, but for saying "sexual intercourse" in relation to "apple pricing" maybe I crossed the golden rule. He with the gold makes the rules. But a mod called it inappropriate!!

now thats a real sign really posted on a billboard. Is it inappropriate?

my favorite

Yet costco sells "pocket juice"!!! doesn't matter what the product is we all know what it could mean!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)