Home & Garden

professional painters - $800 to paint a 500 sq. ft. condo?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2010 9:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1668 posts
120 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 12:07 pm
How many colours are you doing? Darker colours require more paint - sometimes 3 coats. You might also need bathroom, kitchen and ceiling paint, which all costs extra.

Labour is about 1 - 1.50 a square foot.
I am doing 1 colour, in medium grey. He is doing 2 coats (eggshell), and semi gloss white finish for the doors. Nothing is being done for the ceiling/bathroom. The kitchen is an open concept, so there are no walls that separate the kitchen from dining/living area..

I would say that in total he is painting the walls and doors that surround approx. 350 sq. ft. of living area. If you say labour is about $1- 1.50/sq.ft., well i guess i'm not getting ripped off; it's just a bit on the high end..?

coolspot wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 2:07 pm
Good point - hence the OP should get the exact model of paint being provided. For all he knows, the painter could be supplying crappy contractor grade paint :|
He asked me if I liked the shade of grey he already had, and I didn't. I found a ralph lauren paint I like, so I am going to ask him to use that.. what does everyone think of ralph lauren?

thanks for the replies guys
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8097 posts
3839 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 2:29 pm
$25 per hour and he supplies the Benjamin Moore paint. That is a smokin hot deal. :)
Where is he and how far will he travel?
Should have clarified Pete; that's his work rate. Materials and paint are not included :)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
leoben wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 6:01 pm
He asked me if I liked the shade of grey he already had, and I didn't. I found a ralph lauren paint I like, so I am going to ask him to use that.. what does everyone think of ralph lauren?
I would stick with Benjamin Moore or Para Paints. Most paint stores can mix any colour ... provided you give them a paint chip or colour code.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8721 posts
819 upvotes
Yeah I would agree with BM paint, they can mix almost any colour. Did the painter show you his paint deck?