Art and Photography

Which program to create spectacular photo slideshow?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2017 12:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
473 posts
117 upvotes

Which program to create spectacular photo slideshow?

What options does one have to make a fantastic photo slideshow with music? I would pay $ if value is there. Thanks for any advice.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9195 posts
3396 upvotes
Southern Ontario
General user: Photos app on Mac (built-in theme changing, music overlay). Or Movie app on iPhone/iPad/Mac. For PC options, someone else can chime in.

Professional: FCPX (Mac), Adobe Premiere Pro/After Effects (Mac/PC)
Jan 22, 2015
453 posts
94 upvotes
N/A
Hi OP, TBH the times I've wanted that sort of thing I use, believe it or not, Blackberry Story Maker, an app that ships with BB10 just because it's really quite nice with the super benefit of being super quick to use. Not a really helpful answer, but anyway, moving on... Any of the video editing suites gives you the ability to create a slideshow but without scripts and whatnot it can get quite involved -- I use Vegas Pro and it works in a serviceable manner and there is a script plugin that will take most of the work out of it. I haven't picked it up as the developer of the plugin in asking a pretty high price for that functionality.

Anyway, Corel has a product called FastFlick that works in a pinch - I've tried it but after the Blackberry version I'm a bit spoiled and would rather roll my own through Vegas now. Corel sells it separately for $19.99 but you can pick up the Paint Shop Pro package which includes that whenever they offer a deal for pretty much that price.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6728 posts
518 upvotes
chekacr9 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:57 pm
Photodex Proshow. One of the best.
Have used proshow for almost a decade. There's other programs that do what it does, but for ease of use & all around time savings proshow is good.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6358 posts
850 upvotes
For our wedding, friends suggest we use their account for a website that had easy to use inputs with no much learning required and created a beautiful slideshow that everyone thought was done by professionals.

Price isn't too bad for just a month of use and you can probably could find coupons / codes for less.

Check out the sample videos.

https://animoto.com/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Nov 1, 2003
590 posts
71 upvotes
I'm looking for a program that can beat-map easily, eg. set photos to change at certain lyrics or beats in a song. Any advice for PC or Android programs?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1939 posts
181 upvotes
Mississauga
jetsfan69 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 10:31 am
What options does one have to make a fantastic photo slideshow with music? I would pay $ if value is there. Thanks for any advice.
I use Photodex Pro Show gold. Easy to use and fantastic results.
Aug 22, 2014
141 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I used the one that's part of Lightroom when I need to create a slideshow last Christmas. It's not fully featured, but it what it does it does well.
Jan 22, 2015
453 posts
94 upvotes
N/A
BreadBagSeals wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:00 pm
I used the one that's part of Lightroom when I need to create a slideshow last Christmas. It's not fully featured, but it what it does it does well.
Astonished Face Ooh, I'll have to check that out! I didn't know there was one, never looked at the print options either really.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9093 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
What's your target audience? I've done some wedding slide shows lately and really, all those ones that move fast, or have too much animation is dizzying and distracting. You might think yours will be different, but really, it's not.

Fundamental understanding and storytelling will IMO beat out lazily put but compensated by technology anytime. Fundamentals = takes time.

This includes individually editing photos if necessary (cropping, filtering, light adjustment). Music selection. Any faster moving rock song really doesn't jive well with pictures unless you are really doing it as a fast paced slideshow with a younger audience. Personally putting the pictures in the order you want is also key. Editing or cutting clips.

Music is also a big factor. Not only the choice, but how you mix it. There's really no short cut around it. Basically, you have to develop an ear for it. And mix it (can use audacity) and 'tell' the slideshow when to transition at points you want. A program may try to do it, but it won't do it in the way you want it. All this is to say, if you want a quality product, it'll take a lot of time. Now these programs may really make it stand out, help save some time with the mechanics, but depending on what you want to do, just learning to 'storyboard' at the most basic level is a good way to learn. Can be easily done with moviemaker, picasa for editing and audacity for music editing.