Careers

Project management course from Canada

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 10:17 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2018
1 posts

Project management course from Canada

I have done done B tech in IT and have 1 year of work experience as an Android developer in Delhi .
Now i want to go to Canada to pursue the 1 year course on project management.
But i have some doubts regarding this.
1)I got to know that , to work as a project manager there, we need to have 5 year of work experience. is that so?
2) will there be job availability for me after completing the PMP course of 1 year?
3) I am planning to do the project management 1 year course from george brown college. is this college good?
does it have nice placement statistics?
4) If PMP course is not beneficial for me in getting the job, then can you suggest me some good courses in the management field only, which have good scope for placement?

It will be a great help for me. Thank you in advance.
5 replies
Dec 9, 2006
893 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
1) You need 4500 hours of PM experience first. You can worry about question 2-4 later when you're eligible.

In my experience, having a PMP designation won't automatically land you a job. It is something nice to have.

I'd suggest finding a job to bank up your PM hours first, and gain industry knowledge. Once you start gaining PM exposure you can sign up for a PMP course to strengthen your competencies.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1293 posts
558 upvotes
PMP is a certification not a course. It requires 4500 hours in a project management role, and 36 non over lapping months Experience.

Taking the class is just help prepare you for the exam.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote:
May 15th, 2018 11:00 pm
PMP is a certification not a course. It requires 4500 hours in a project management role, and 36 non over lapping months Experience.

Taking the class is just help prepare you for the exam.
Prerequisites before taking the exam:

Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
7,500 hours leading and directing projects
35 hours of project management education

or

Four-year degree
4,500 hours leading and directing projects
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1293 posts
558 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:17 pm
Prerequisites before taking the exam:

Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
7,500 hours leading and directing projects

or

Four-year degree
4,500 hours leading and directing projects
In addition, they need the experience to be over 60 months (no degree) or 36 months (degree) non overlapping. This may be the 5 years OP was referring too. I made the assumption he had a degree, but that was probably a wrong assumption.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on May 17th, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
OP, you want to come to Canada just to do a one year course at George Brown? I don't think that GB is worth the trip and relocation for a year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)