Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes

Promotional Apple Products

I went to a car dealership the other day and the sales rep offered me a free Ipad mini if we close a deal within the next two days.
So that sparked my mind and i checked how much they cost and figured, why don't i do the same thing? Offer Ipad/Ipod or whatever in return for clients buying my expensive service.
Anyone has any experience working with Apple Business Department about volume purchases? Is it possible to get any discount if i buy 10+ units?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2647 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
flafson wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 7:54 pm
I went to a car dealership the other day and the sales rep offered me a free Ipad mini if we close a deal within the next two days.
So that sparked my mind and i checked how much they cost and figured, why don't i do the same thing? Offer Ipad/Ipod or whatever in return for clients buying my expensive service.
Anyone has any experience working with Apple Business Department about volume purchases? Is it possible to get any discount if i buy 10+ units?
Your looking at $20-30 off iPads.

Dealer most likely working the "free ipad" into the final price. If you tell the dealer you don't want the ipad, they'll be happy to reduce the car price by the same amount. Same with Gas Card, LCD offers, etc.

i'm not kinky at all! just kinky for HOT deals. i swear!

Sale: Jailbroken Apple TV 2 - $100
Sale: LG G4 Promo Kit (oem battery, charge cradle & 32gb microsd) - $60
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
Thanks for the info.
For sure the dealer is adding that price, i have no doubt.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13009 posts
3789 upvotes
You could always look into having someone who is eligible to receive the Apple Higher Education discount (staff and students of post secondary institutions) purchase the products. They typically receive a small discount on most products (I find the discount isn't really there at product launch). On tablets/small items even the volume pricing given to places (that buy hundreds) is not that great; we would typically just buy our small products (iPad's, etc) from the Apple store because the discount was minimal (and in some cases nothing).

Apple does offer some OK deals to us on older items/refurbished items. However I'm not sure you want to give away an older (or refurbished) product.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
I finally got an answer from Apple. They don't allow any promotions with any iPads and any iPhones. Anything else is fine.
So i asked how come other do it, he said they don't have permission to do that so they could face legal action if found out.
About the discount, he told me if i buy more than 5k, they give 5% discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
This is not new practice, any FREEBIE for signing up, the end customer ends up paying for it in services or goods.....

Last year I saw some small income tax companies with a do your taxes with us and get a FREE IPAD ( certain conditions apply ), was $120 for service, and minimum of 1500 back from government but you have to take $ in advance at at 30% loss...

So $450 + the cost of service ( $40 cost so 80 prophit ) so $550 overcharged and gave you a 400 ipad and still made extra $150....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 7:24 am
This is not new practice, any FREEBIE for signing up, the end customer ends up paying for it in services or goods.....

Last year I saw some small income tax companies with a do your taxes with us and get a FREE IPAD ( certain conditions apply ), was $120 for service, and minimum of 1500 back from government but you have to take $ in advance at at 30% loss...

So $450 + the cost of service ( $40 cost so 80 prophit ) so $550 overcharged and gave you a 400 ipad and still made extra $150....
That is a little bit too obvious because the service itself costs less than the freebie.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
flafson wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 9:36 am
That is a little bit too obvious because the service itself costs less than the freebie.
And you think they can't hide $500 in a car...promotional items are most times not even negotiated with company at all.

Same as these buy car from use we will pay upwards of 5k on your CC, they just up your loan amount on car approval to what you owe on credit card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
In a car many people think the dealer is making many thousands per vehicle so to many of them, $300 item looks like small change.
I decided i'm going to offer people the Nexus 4, it costs about the same money and i think it will have even more demand than an iPad mini.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13009 posts
3789 upvotes
flafson wrote:
Jan 31st, 2013 8:40 pm
In a car many people think the dealer is making many thousands per vehicle so to many of them, $300 item looks like small change.
I decided i'm going to offer people the Nexus 4, it costs about the same money and i think it will have even more demand than an iPad mini.
We've talked about using Samsung products for giveaways and many of us thought the same thing; Apple is still the cool product to have and people love the name so they are instantly drawn to it, especially when they do not have to pay for it. It still comes down to "what's cool" in the end and Apple is still on top amongst the average consumer.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Why not just do $300-$400 Gift cards, load when sale is final. Versus paying out 20 units at once....consumer gets GC feels happy and get swhat they want or resells it at 20% loss for cash, end both parties happy.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9444 posts
883 upvotes
Doesn't really need to be "what's cool"

People just want free things in general. When they see something "FREE" in the description, they all rush in.
TrevorK wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 10:49 am
We've talked about using Samsung products for giveaways and many of us thought the same thing; Apple is still the cool product to have and people love the name so they are instantly drawn to it, especially when they do not have to pay for it. It still comes down to "what's cool" in the end and Apple is still on top amongst the average consumer.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13009 posts
3789 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 11:28 am
Doesn't really need to be "what's cool"

People just want free things in general. When they see something "FREE" in the description, they all rush in.
But you don't want people who just want free things you want to appeal to people who may be future customers (or so I assume is the goal of this) so that alone should not be your basis of this.

I believe he's running a salon-type business. Which is centered around a person's appearance. Why wouldn't you try to appeal to someone who desires a specifically branded item to "look cooler"?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3901 posts
493 upvotes
Problem with a gift card, you right away know the value of it. So in their mind they will think they give out x money and get back y money. If you give a cool expensive product, it will probably turn on their "i want stuff" corner of their mind.
I agree that Apple is cooler which is why i'm going with the Nexus 4 which is both cool and a smart phone which everyone needs and wants.
And about the buying 20 at a time, i won't do that, ill just buy 1-2 to have on hand like a demo units and then order based on need.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3845 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
flafson wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 5:29 pm
Problem with a gift card, you right away know the value of it. So in their mind they will think they give out x money and get back y money. If you give a cool expensive product, it will probably turn on their "i want stuff" corner of their mind.
I agree that Apple is cooler which is why i'm going with the Nexus 4 which is both cool and a smart phone which everyone needs and wants.
And about the buying 20 at a time, i won't do that, ill just buy 1-2 to have on hand like a demo units and then order based on need.

I understand what you mean about the mind trick.

But as well, its technology and everything changes weekly.

I can't remember how many ipad mini's I saw after xmas forsale as GIFTS and didn't want or do not use or have another tablet.

Maybe wii U ( j/k )
× < >