• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 3:35 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
4 posts

proofreading and its issue

hi guys
I really need your help and opinions.
I may be just too paranoid just seeking for help at this time. when I was in university for few years ago. I had a term paper based on my learning curve and experience for that term. but my prof was very harsh on APA, grammar and punctuation. she even told us to do the proofread before submit the paper

I have never done proofreading service I guess I was panicking. I was walking around the campus and saw the English tutor&proofreading service. I trusted it so much and that was foolish of me. I thought I could trust those posts are posted in the campus. I thought they are all approved by the university....like condominium board.

I called the service and they asked my course outline and everything. so I sent them along with my essay. i clearly told them i just want you do proofread and send it back to me. but the guy was so insist that he will guide from the beginning to the end. he said also send him all the template copies to him so that he said he will teach me how to write better. so I gave him all of that. few days later I received a weird email and clicked and the whole computer crashed....all of my data was gone. due date was approaching and I was so panicking. the guy who said he will guide me and teach me thru my writing style and how to get better, he didn't do any of that and went missing. few days later he just showed and saying proofreading is done and my paper was attached. Since it was my experience paper there was no way that he could change my sentence or idea, he just made it smooth. that was it. but he sounded like he wrote it from the beginning to the end and if I dont pay him he said he will send an email to university. yes it was threat.
my computer hard drive was gone...there is no way that I could prove that I wrote this paper. But, it is in my brain 100 percent it is my paper...this guy just edited some grammar to get the money out of me.

I recently saw the lawyer. he said " do not worry about it, he is far gone or do not even go to your prof because they will be skeptical why you called the such a writing service in the beginning. if this guy ever send an email to the prof or the university. you will win 100percent they can't kick you out because you did not buy the essay, you simply asked for help and proofread and the guy simply threatened you to get the money without proper service"
I have his phone number and everything.

what do you guys think? man...this was very stupid of me...I did not even know there was a such thing as a ghostwriter exist in our world...I learned my lesson but can't get away from it...

thanks guys
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3987 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto
garyha wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 5:56 pm
I may be just too paranoid just seeking for help at this time. when I was in university for few years ago. I had a term paper based on my learning curve and experience for that term. but my prof was very harsh on APA, grammar and punctuation. she even told us to do the proofread before submit the paper

I have never done proofreading service I guess I was panicking. I was walking around the campus and saw the English tutor&proofreading service. I trusted it so much and that was foolish of me. I thought I could trust those posts are posted in the campus. I thought they are all approved by the university....like condominium board.

I called the service and they asked my course outline and everything.
OP can you please clarify - is this something that is happening now? Or did you get scammed a few years ago, but you're still worried that the school will take action against you?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
253 upvotes
garyha wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 5:56 pm
hi guys
I really need your help and opinions.

I called the service and they asked my course outline and everything. so I sent them along with my essay. i clearly told them i just want you do proofread and send it back to me. but the guy was so insist that he will guide from the beginning to the end. he said also send him all the template copies to him so that he said he will teach me how to write better. so I gave him all of that. few days later I received a weird email and clicked and the whole computer crashed....all of my data was gone. due date was approaching and I was so panicking. the guy who said he will guide me and teach me thru my writing style and how to get better, he didn't do any of that and went missing. few days later he just showed and saying proofreading is done and my paper was attached. Since it was my experience paper there was no way that he could change my sentence or idea, he just made it smooth. that was it. but he sounded like he wrote it from the beginning to the end and if I dont pay him he said he will send an email to university. yes it was threat.
my computer hard drive was gone...there is no way that I could prove that I wrote this paper. But, it is in my brain 100 percent it is my paper...this guy just edited some grammar to get the money out of me.

I recently saw the lawyer. he said " do not worry about it, he is far gone or do not even go to your prof because they will be skeptical why you called the such a writing service in the beginning. if this guy ever send an email to the prof or the university. you will win 100percent they can't kick you out because you did not buy the essay, you simply asked for help and proofread and the guy simply threatened you to get the money without proper service"
I have his phone number and everything.

what do you guys think? man...this was very stupid of me...I did not even know there was a such thing as a ghostwriter exist in our world...I learned my lesson but can't get away from it...

thanks guys
He proofread it, made it smooth and you aren't going to pay him? I hope he reports you to the university. PROOFREAD - understand the definition of the word. His job is to correct spelling, grammar and flow - that is it. SMH
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
4 posts
Manatus wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:07 pm
OP can you please clarify - is this something that is happening now? Or did you get scammed a few years ago, but you're still worried that the school will take action against you?
thanks for your msg. it happened few years ago and i got my degree already and working. I am just too paranoid about what if this guy sends an email to the university and making things up that he wrote the paper for me. i over paid him. my original idea was to get the writing help like the one that ur getting it from the school. well paper is all about my experience and research so he cannot prove that he wrote the paper for me. but he was scamming so badly...not trustworthy
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
4 posts
niroopg wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:38 pm
He proofread it, made it smooth and you aren't going to pay him? I hope he reports you to the university. PROOFREAD - understand the definition of the word. His job is to correct spelling, grammar and flow - that is it. SMH
money is not a concern here. I overpaid him. he was scam that is the reason I was worrying about thx
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
4 posts
tonershop wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 7:50 am
Couldn't you just re-write another paper and submit that instead? You should look into attending writing centres at your school, they are free.

UofT: http://writing.utoronto.ca/writing-centres/
Ryerson: https://www.ryerson.ca/studentlearnings ... g-support/
York U: http://writing-centre.writ.laps.yorku.ca/
thanks for the support! the only reason I looked for additional service was whenever I tried to make an appointment they were always closed. thanks though!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3987 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto
garyha wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:48 pm
thanks for your msg. it happened few years ago and i got my degree already and working. I am just too paranoid about what if this guy sends an email to the university and making things up that he wrote the paper for me. i over paid him. my original idea was to get the writing help like the one that ur getting it from the school. well paper is all about my experience and research so he cannot prove that he wrote the paper for me. but he was scamming so badly...not trustworthy
The university is not going to revoke your degree years after you graduate just because some random person makes an unverifiable accusation that they helped a former student cheat years ago. It's just not in the realm of possibility. Stop worrying. Why would he even do it now, years later, and not then? Sadly there are probably a dozen students he's scammed since then, he won't even remember you. And why would your school believe him rather than you?

There is really no chance of this happening.
Last edited by Manatus on Oct 4th, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7092 posts
4056 upvotes
Edmonton
garyha wrote:
So you're afraid he's going to blackmail you based on something that happened years ago? Don't you have something more concrete to get stressed about?

I seriously doubt that he's going to do anything. And even if he does, he wouldn't have proof of anything. I also doubt your university is going to expect you to keep backup documents from your university work from years ago.

C
Jul 31, 2017
299 posts
76 upvotes
niroopg wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:38 pm
He proofread it, made it smooth and you aren't going to pay him? I hope he reports you to the university.
For what? If the OP wrote the paper there is no academic misconduct involved in having someone else proofread it. In fact, having someone proofread papers is encouraged. And since I am a prof, I am far more familiar with what constitutes an academic offense than most here will be.
Jul 31, 2017
299 posts
76 upvotes
garyha wrote:

Relax, it ain't going to happen.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5537 posts
3145 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If it passed the plagiarism check, you're not going to heck
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jan 4, 2007
51 posts
7 upvotes
garyha wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:52 pm
thanks for the support! the only reason I looked for additional service was whenever I tried to make an appointment they were always closed. thanks though!
Based on your posts, you might benefit looking into tonershop's suggestions even though you have already graduated.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)