Home & Garden

Proper location of toilet paper holder (ha ha)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2010 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2230 posts
189 upvotes

Proper location of toilet paper holder (ha ha)

Installing a new toilet paper holder. Does anyone know what the "standard" location is? I read some where it is 24-26 inches from the floor, but what about the back wall?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6391 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
e-man wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 4:07 pm
Installing a new toilet paper holder. Does anyone know what the "standard" location is? I read some where it is 24-26 inches from the floor, but what about the back wall?
Back wall, as in behind you when sitting? Don't know how comfortable it will be to grab the roll behind you! It'll be a good stretch, if nothing else! :D

Your best bet is to sit on the toilet and see where it feels 'natural' to grab the roll. I don't think it really matters if it's to the left or right of where you're sitting, as it doesn't take much to grab the roll if you are left or right handed.

Also, a roll that is too far behind you may be a little awkward to grab, but it may be your optimal location (one of my bathrooms is set up this way)...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Just make sure you install the toilet paper roll "over" and not "under". ZING!
This space for rent
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2230 posts
189 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 4:12 pm
Back wall, as in behind you when sitting? Don't know how comfortable it will be to grab the roll behind you! It'll be a good stretch, if nothing else! :D

Your best bet is to sit on the toilet and see where it feels 'natural' to grab the roll. I don't think it really matters if it's to the left or right of where you're sitting, as it doesn't take much to grab the roll if you are left or right handed.

Also, a roll that is too far behind you may be a little awkward to grab, but it may be your optimal location (one of my bathrooms is set up this way)...
What I meant was the horizontal distance from the back wall, not on the back wall.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2463 posts
157 upvotes
I'm in the middle of renovating a powder room and was wondering the same thing. Its actually a lot more complicated than it seems. Its really not like anything else with a set spot like the toilet, sink, light fixture and mirror. Put the holder in the wrong spot and there goes the whole flow in your washroom.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6159 posts
239 upvotes
e-man wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 5:01 pm
What I meant was the horizontal distance from the back wall, not on the back wall.
Well first of all it depends on the toilet and where you want to put the toilet paper holder, in front or beside it.

Anyway, my toilet paper holder is beside my toilet. My dad installed it for me and it's 25 inches about the ground and about 12 inches outwards from the toilet bowl.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4045 posts
12 upvotes
Cambridge
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 6:52 pm
Don't screw it on the wall....why stress over it.....your Wife will tell you it is wrong... no matter what you do....

http://toiletpaperstand.org/
http://www.comforthouse.com/toilets.html

for the solution :cheesygri
lol. our solution too.

On the off chance it isn't "wrong" it will for sure be out of date and need replacing soon!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Si98 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2010 5:30 pm
I'm in the middle of renovating a powder room and was wondering the same thing. Its actually a lot more complicated than it seems. Its really not like anything else with a set spot like the toilet, sink, light fixture and mirror. Put the holder in the wrong spot and there goes the whole flow in your washroom.
Are you redesigning the room? If not, just put it back where it originally was. That's what I plan to do.
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2463 posts
157 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 8:58 am
Are you redesigning the room? If not, just put it back where it originally was. That's what I plan to do.
There was no holder in the first place. I told the builder not to install them in all my washrooms because I knew I would be replacing them. Builders usually use the ceramic ones that are GLUED to the wall and a hassle to remove without damaging the drywall. The same goes for builder towel racks and mirrors.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1784 posts
14 upvotes
something so simple, yet so complicated, haha

most of ours is on the side just a little forward
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6159 posts
239 upvotes
Si98 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 9:13 am
There was no holder in the first place. I told the builder not to install them in all my washrooms because I knew I would be replacing them. Builders usually use the ceramic ones that are GLUED to the wall and a hassle to remove without damaging the drywall. The same goes for builder towel racks and mirrors.
Yeah when I bought my house my dad had to deal with the ugly ceramic ones and had to patch up some walls. At the end of the day it's all on you, where you want it. Just like the towel bar, how long and where.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Si98 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 9:13 am
I see...

So what is considered "nice" nowadays?

New houses have the ceramic ones, old houses have the metal/chrome ones.
This space for rent
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6159 posts
239 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 11:49 am
I see...

Anything that doesn't look builder. :lol:

It's not necessarily the material, it's the design.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2463 posts
157 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 11:49 am
I see...

Really depends on the look you want. Nothing wrong with ceramic or chrome as long as it flows and coordinates well with the surrounding.
× < >