Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

Proper time to switch from puppy to adult food

So my labradoodle Angus will be turning 1 in a few weeks and I'm starting to ponder the idea of switching him over to adult food. I've read online that for large breed dogs, switching over between 1-2 years is advised but that's a massive range. He's 62 pounds as of 3 weeks ago so probably up to 64-65 by now. Any ideas of when would be a good time to switch him over? Thanks.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
I switched my lab over at 8 months, she's 50 ~ 60 lbs, that was recommended to me but could be wrong, regardless she eats up the adult food no problem.
The only thing worse than human ignorance is human pride in that ignorance.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
usually you switch once the dog is mostly finished growing, how large do you expect him to be? usually you take 85% of the guesstimated adult weight and then switch when your dog reaches that weight. Or you can eyeball it and when growth slows down switch over.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Well he's about 63-64 lbs now and tbh I have no idea what weight to expect him to level out at. The breeder told us that his mom was 54 lbs and dad was 50 lbs but that's looking more and more like a bit of an untruth given the fact that our dog has passed that weight and looks to be still growing. If I were to guesstimate I'd say he will probably max out at 75-80 lbs.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
you could probably start switching over now or in the next few months then, you're feeding a quality food so it should be fine, usually it's a matter of having their skeletal growth being mostly done, they'll still fill in afterwards but you want the puppy food nutrients for the majority of development.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
starrlamia wrote: you could probably start switching over now or in the next few months then, you're feeding a quality food so it should be fine, usually it's a matter of having their skeletal growth being mostly done, they'll still fill in afterwards but you want the puppy food nutrients for the majority of development.
Great thanks for the reply. I'll probably buy him one more large bag of orijen large breed and switch him over in the next 6 weeks or so then. Appreciate the recommendation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)