Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Prophet River

Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 riflescope Matte/Duplex $269 - FREE SHIP & NO TAX!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 12:15 am
19 replies
Nov 10, 2013
492 posts
503 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
It's a good no frills scope that does what it's supposed to do. I bought it last year to replace Minox which had better glass but the tube was too thin which caused issues
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
Yes, very clear glass, and you can't beat the lifetime warranty!
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
These scopes will handle the magnum calibers without issue as well, unlike lower quality scopes.
Jan 18, 2010
645 posts
571 upvotes
Some one tell me why i need this on my 7mm magnum.

I have the scope that came with it on it now.
Oct 31, 2014
506 posts
467 upvotes
Victoria, BC
hearnoevil wrote: Some one tell me why i need this on my 7mm magnum.

Sharper sight picture (great for picking up game in the bush or low contrast ares), brighter sight picture - good for lower light (dawn and dusk/the most productive times to hunt)
Plus you get that little gold ring, which some consider a status symbol of sorts ;)
Jan 18, 2010
645 posts
571 upvotes
smallwavesteve wrote: Sharper sight picture (great for picking up game in the bush or low contrast ares), brighter sight picture - good for lower light (dawn and dusk/the most productive times to hunt)
Plus you get that little gold ring, which some consider a status symbol of sorts ;)
this come with mounts ? or i use my mounts ?
Oct 31, 2014
506 posts
467 upvotes
Victoria, BC
hearnoevil wrote: this come with mounts ? or i use my mounts ?
Pretty much no quality scope I've seen comes with rings. Use your own or get some talley lightweights. Having your rings lapped (either yourself or by a gunsmith) can make a huge difference as well, especially on something like a 7mm rem mag.

This is all assuming your combo scope is just a cheap no-model Bushnell or something worse, sometimes combo's come with ok vortex or bushnell. (if it's a cheapo POS the recoil from that gun will probably kill the cheapo scope before too too long anyways). It all depends..
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19855 posts
4076 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
hearnoevil wrote: Some one tell me why i need this on my 7mm magnum.

If you actually use the rifle for hunting, you'll see the difference at dusk and dawn. Better scopes give better light transmission, and can give you a few extra critical minutes at the best time for hunting. I get 10 or 15 minutes extra over my brother in law with his savage rifle/scope combo.

Cheap scopes will fail suddenly at the worst time, losing their seals and fogging on the inside, losing zero, etc.

Cheap scopes won't have the same POI at 3x and 9x.

Cheap scopes won't have repeatable zero. If you move 20 clicks left, then 20 clicks right, you won't be back at the same place.

I have a couple of Leuopold VXIIs on my .22s and Zeiss scopes on my bolt centerfires. I usually use Leopold baes and rings as well.

Rule of thumb is to spend at least half of the rifle cost on its scope.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
i6s1 wrote: If you actually use the rifle for hunting, you'll see the difference at dusk and dawn. Better scopes give better light transmission, and can give you a few extra critical minutes at the best time for hunting. I get 10 or 15 minutes extra over my brother in law with his savage rifle/scope combo.

Cheap scopes will fail suddenly at the worst time, losing their seals and fogging on the inside, losing zero, etc.

Cheap scopes won't have the same POI at 3x and 9x.

Cheap scopes won't have repeatable zero. If you move 20 clicks left, then 20 clicks right, you won't be back at the same place.

I have a couple of Leuopold VXIIs on my .22s and Zeiss scopes on my bolt centerfires. I usually use Leopold baes and rings as well.

Rule of thumb is to spend at least half of the rifle cost on its scope.
I thought the rule of thumb was to spend twice as much on glass as on gun :)
Oct 31, 2014
506 posts
467 upvotes
Victoria, BC
gw105 wrote: I thought the rule of thumb was to spend twice as much on glass as on gun :)
That's just for those snobs who think anything that isn't a steiner or schmidt and bender is junk. It may have been the case years ago, but you can get pretty bloody good glass (certainly good enough for the average joe) for $300-$500 for a 3-9.
Jan 18, 2010
645 posts
571 upvotes
I use it for moose hunting. I spend years knocking them down with a 303 open sight. The 7mm mag is only a few years old it's already bagged 2 bulls. Not really big on long shots. Last one was 400 + yards but I was on a hill looking down. I want it but do I really need it for a couple shots a year.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I just ordered a XCR-M .308. Would this scope be good for it? Mainly for target practice or maybe even use it for hunting. What other options are there as well? Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
Damn were getting hosed on exchange. Basspro has this for $179.97 us. Not as bad with no tax and free shipping, but if your going to the U.S anywhere may want to look there.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
slayerwulf wrote: Damn were getting hosed on exchange. Basspro has this for $179.97 us. Not as bad with no tax and free shipping, but if your going to the U.S anywhere may want to look there.
Just don't get caught bringing it back to Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1597 posts
1455 upvotes
gw105 wrote: Just don't get caught bringing it back to Canada.
Ahh right damn u.s export laws apply to everything firearm related. Maybe trump could get rid of that.
Apr 26, 2010
375 posts
1600 upvotes
BC
slayerwulf wrote: Ahh right damn u.s export laws apply to everything firearm related. Maybe trump could get rid of that.
Word is he is currently working on relaxing the ITAR regulations.
Dec 20, 2007
958 posts
339 upvotes
I heard about that as well...
I'm conflicted as that would be AWESOME but I really don't want to have to thank Trump for anything