• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 11:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
100 posts
27 upvotes

Prosciutto vs Jamon Iberico

What do you prefer? To my taste, iberico is a little better.
I saw the proscuito you can buy easily while iberico is harder to find here in Mississauga.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1687 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I'm italian so Proshoot all the way. I LOVE prosciutto, its the best ever. who ever invented that stuff is a genious
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6240 posts
1390 upvotes
Isn't prosciutto drier? Jamon Iberico is very moist and tender.

Prosciutto is good, but (even the more basic) jamon iberico is delectable as long as it's been freshly sliced and not pre-packaged. The first time I had it, I didn't even really know what it was, and I was chomping it down.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4660 posts
2010 upvotes
Toronto
Neither.... jamon de bellota FTW
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2201 posts
616 upvotes
Given the choice between the two, Iberico. They were freshly slicing platters when I was at IESE and oh my god it was melt in your mouth delicious.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1108 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
Proscuitto ftw !! I always make sure my fridge is stocked with the stuff from the European delis around me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6240 posts
1390 upvotes
roblombardi wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:15 am
Neither.... jamon de bellota FTW
What you mean is jamon (iberico) de bellota...it's still jamon iberico! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2538 posts
942 upvotes
Everywhere
GoodFellaz wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 10:41 am
I'm italian so Proshoot all the way. I LOVE prosciutto, its the best ever. who ever invented that stuff is a genious
Another genius invented prosciutto e melone!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2538 posts
942 upvotes
Everywhere
Ever seen this before? Face With Tears Of Joy

Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4660 posts
2010 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 11:24 pm
What you mean is jamon (iberico) de bellota...it's still jamon iberico! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
True that!.... however, usually people in Spain refer to jamon iberico de cebo as "jamon iberico", and to jamon iberico de bellota as "jamon de bellota", which is better in my opinion
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31145 posts
5889 upvotes
Ottawa
peanutz wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:21 pm
Isn't prosciutto drier? Jamon Iberico is very moist and tender.

Prosciutto is good, but (even the more basic) jamon iberico is delectable as long as it's been freshly sliced and not pre-packaged. The first time I had it, I didn't even really know what it was, and I was chomping it down.
In my opinion and from my experience Jamon is far drier than prosciutto. I personally like prosciutto better as it seems to have a stronger lingering taste. It seems to go with other things better and can be cooked (and still taste good).
Spanish Jamon (Iberico or other) is drier, chewier and is best on it's own. We went to the Museo del Jamon in Madrid (there are 3 of them https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_R ... adrid.html ) and were astounded at the variations of Spanish jamons and nearly fell over at the prices of some of it.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2201 posts
616 upvotes
I'm going to Barcelona next week. I wish there was a way to do a RFD Jamon Iberico group buy.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1203 posts
561 upvotes
Much prefer iberico as its dryer and I find have much better flavor. For sandwiches, prosciutto, but for eating on its own or with breadsticks or cheese, iberico

Iberico is also a lot more expensive than prosciutto here (GTA) I find. It's around $30/100g of iberico at Schaefers which is only place I know of that sells it