Tags:
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto

protect dog from ticks?

how do I protect my dog from ticks in the woods?

should I spray it with deet or permetherin (ticks spray) ?
16 replies
Oct 13, 2014
995 posts
421 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
I would not spray my dog with anything as they do have a tendency to lick themselves thus ingesting the spray. Even the prescribed topical treatment is once a month rubbed into the back of the neck. The best you can do is to have your veterinarian prescribe some medications for this. It may not prevent a bite but it will prevent the after effects, myself I chose the oral medications for ticks and fleas.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
We use chewable meds for both Heartworm and Ticks.

For Ticks we now use Nexgard - given orally once a month. We used to use BravEcto given every 2 months.

For Heartworm we give our dog chewable Heartgard Plus. He has a double coat so we are happy that we no longer have to use the topical Revolution.

We buy both meds from our Toronto vet. Toronto has seen quite a rise in tick bites. People as well.
Apr 25, 2011
700 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
NextGuard or Bravecto are the products of choice. They are essentially the same product but made by different companies; NextGuard is monthly and Bravecto is every 3 months. The only reason vets would suggest NextGuard over Bravecto would be to try and ensure compliance. Every three months people may tend to forget.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3224 posts
572 upvotes
London
Why are we not using revolution anymore?
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Do I need Vet prescription for Nextguard? can I buy it off the internet?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:30 am
Prescription required.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Is there any medication that don't require prescription?

How do these medications protect dogs from ticks?
Apr 25, 2011
700 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
I don't know about alternative medications for ticks, but NextGuard and Bravecto work systemically. The tick/flea must bite to be killed...

Some people get worried thinking that means their pet will be exposed to Lyme disease but from what I understand it takes about 12 hours of feeding before it transfers. The tick will have died by then. On top of that, apparently a tick that bites that has Lyme (which is a very small percentage of ticks) will have a very low transfer rate of giving a dog Lyme. Humans on the other hand have a high chance of getting Lyme if a tick with Lyme bites them.
Aug 1, 2006
70 posts
34 upvotes
K9 Advantix II and Vectra 3D are both good topical flea and tick preventatives. They both contain permethrin which will repel mosquitoes too.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1594 posts
171 upvotes
Calgary
Go to a horse and tack shop if there's one near you and buy some permethrin horse spray. Its FAR cheaper than K9 Advantix II and does the same thing. I give my dog a quick spray about once or twice a season depending on if he's in the water a lot or not. I've found a dead tick on him, but never a live one.

Keep permethrin away from cats
Dec 23, 2015
129 posts
76 upvotes
picard12 wrote:
May 29th, 2017 8:30 am

You can definitely buy it online but would you really trust your dog's life with it to save 20 bucks ? In case you are unaware pharmaceuticals for sale online are often counterfeit and apart from being ineffective often contain harmful substances. Would you buy a prescription for someone you cared about knowing this?
Jan 24, 2008
187 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
If you guys read about Nexgard, do a little bit research and you will see on how this medicine is killing dogs. Bravecto even worse. These are actually pesticide that you feed your dogs.
Apr 25, 2011
700 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
rulerman wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:26 am
If you guys read about Nexgard, do a little bit research and you will see on how this medicine is killing dogs. Bravecto even worse. These are actually pesticide that you feed your dogs.
Yes... Pesticides in quantities to kill a flea. Any products used to effectively kill fleas/ticks aren't going to be non-toxic. You do realise we eat pesticides every day in our fruits and vegetables, right?

The company takes complaints of this nature -- or any side effect for that matter -- very seriously and wants them reported immediately. They need to by law. Instead of posting on a Facebook group, if these stories are true they should be getting reported to the company.

Bravecto has quickly become the best selling product since its release... I do not believe I have heard a single complaint besides maybe diarrhea.

Here's the flip side of "Bravecto kills":
http://www.walkervillevet.com.au/blog/d ... kill-dogs/