• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 4:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2009
428 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal

Protecting backpack from snow & water

I'm going on a trip for work in snowmobile and I want to protect my backpack from snow & water. It will be attached at the back of the snowmobile.

Use a garbage bag rolled around my bag or something else more useful ? I was thinking about something like this https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/pa ... D_719.html
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
A good liner or cover would work. I don’t have one so can’t recommend anything. However for girl guides when we camp in the snow or rain, we have the kids do a proper bedroll. Essentially small tarp wrapped around items like a purity secured with bungee cords or camping straps, That’s our frugal way to protect everything for the wet
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
elpaso wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 3:18 pm
I'm going on a trip for work in snowmobile and I want to protect my backpack from snow & water. It will be attached at the back of the snowmobile.

Use a garbage bag rolled around my bag or something else more useful ? I was thinking about something like this https://www.osprey.com/ca/en/product/pa ... D_719.html
Best would be some mechanical barrier, like,
plastic membrane or big plastic bag or tarp...

Also, in many sport/outdoor activity shops they sell
silicone water repellent spray. It is good for coats, tents and backpacks.

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11481 posts
4730 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Two words -> dry bags.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10083 posts
7396 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Upvotes for
@craftsman & @Macx2mommy

Dry Bags (best waterproof solution ... ala canoe, kayak, boating trips)
Tarp wrapping the exterior
OR...
Easy peasy, just wrap all your contents in plastic bags
(Green, Black, Blue, Clear = the type you use for Garbage or Recycling)

I use this trick often when travelling with soft sided bags / luggage
Then it don’t matter if the exterior bag / suitcase gets rained or snowed on... at least my stuff inside stays dry
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 2:22 am
Upvotes for
@craftsman & @Macx2mommy

OR...

Then it don’t matter if the exterior bag / suitcase gets rained or snowed on... at least my stuff inside stays dry
For girl guides, we also teach the kids to put all their stuff inside plastic bags. We don't allow garbage bags because they are not sturdy enough for the type of usage we do. We also try to find cheaper alternatives than the sacks (though I have one because I am out more).

Another couple of options we have used
Plastic Shower curtain - the little holes at the top are great for having them pre secure their ropes. The bad part is really cheap curtains freeze and then crack in winter camping.
Plastic lined table cloth - these don't seem to freeze as much, and are more pliable, however, the sometimes get a little damp on the inside because of the material liner. I like it because when you are taking 300 girls on buses from other areas, everyone has a blue tarp and it makes it hard to find. Table cloths are easy to find, but that shouldn't be a concern for the OP
Tarp - our go to. It's the most water proof and the cheapest
Ikea zippered bag or very large zippered plastic shopping bags - last year, they had the blue Ikea bags but with zippers. These had handles and easy access. I loved these and would use these for the back pack, just don't know if they always have them. I also saw some very very large plastic zipper bags at dollarama.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11481 posts
4730 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 2:22 am
Upvotes for
@craftsman & @Macx2mommy

OR...

I like dry bags better if you can fit the entire backpack into the bag and strap it on something to carry it as it keeps the pack itself dry as well so you won't have to worry about drying the pack out. If you wrap the contents in individual bags, the backpack not only gets wet but the individual plastic bags do as well which just makes for a mess as you try to dry them out before repacking everything. Of course, if you are just backpacking without strapping everything down to a snowmobile, then the bag liner would be better as it will allow you to use the backpack as a backpack - dry bags don't make good backbacks.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11410 posts
1643 upvotes
Mississauga
elpaso wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 3:18 pm

Check out these backpack covers that MEC sells.

MEC backpack covers