• Aug 16th, 2016 8:18 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 5, 2012
368 posts
254 upvotes
RICHMOND

Protein Bars

I've been looking into this for a long time and finally bit the bullet on some quest bars based on all the reviews on the web of how good they are. The initial thing that lead me to quest too was all the flavours they had... so I bought the Best Seller Variety Pack so I could sample a bunch and see what I liked, but no matter what flavour I've had so far they all have this sickening aftertaste to them that really puts me off.

I was wondering if there are any that taste more natural or don't have this kind of aftertaste to them? It also seems they use "soluble corn fibre" which I believe is corn syrup so that might also be the reason for the weird taste.

What is everyone's favourite protein bar to buy? And where to get them from?
15 replies
Jul 15, 2006
219 posts
25 upvotes
Gravenhurst
I'm enjoying Mission 1 (from Walmart) but only the Cookies and Cream. The others aren't great. They have no sugar alcohols or artificial ingredients. Cheaper than quest too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
If you don't like quest, then you're less likely to like the other ones given how much other crap most of them have on the ingredients list.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
piezo5 wrote: I've been looking into this for a long time and finally bit the bullet on some quest bars based on all the reviews on the web of how good they are. The initial thing that lead me to quest too was all the flavours they had... so I bought the Best Seller Variety Pack so I could sample a bunch and see what I liked, but no matter what flavour I've had so far they all have this sickening aftertaste to them that really puts me off.

I was wondering if there are any that taste more natural or don't have this kind of aftertaste to them? It also seems they use "soluble corn fibre" which I believe is corn syrup so that might also be the reason for the weird taste.

What is everyone's favourite protein bar to buy? And where to get them from?
Combat crunch bars are my fav and a lot of people say they are better than quest. I always buy when they have buy 2 get 1 free sales. They are high quality, taste really good and they have lots of different flavours. I buy them from bodybuilding.com

http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/muscle ... -bars.html
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
i love the birthday cake one bars.. so pricy at $4 each
Apr 13, 2004
458 posts
438 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Doctor's Carbrite! FAR superior taste to anything I've tried thus far.
May 2, 2011
82 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
I used to like the Quest bars, but lately I'm off them due to the consistency.
I tried the Combat Crunch - quite good!
For taste and consistency, my favourite are the Cliff Builder Bars, but sooo much sugar! Also, when I'm in the US I always pick up Think Thin bars - really good taste and consistency as well...
2013 WINS: 2 Run-of-engagement passes to To The Wonder, $25 Rocco's Plum Tomato GC, 2 Tix Mill St Beer Hall GO
2012 WINS: 100g Lindt bar, EXCEL mug, 300g Lindt bar, Turbo Tax Online, $75 STC GC, $125 Best Buy GC, 2 passes to MTCC Yoga Show, Lunch @ 3 Brewers, Cool Beer Brewing GB
Apr 20, 2009
794 posts
76 upvotes
The amount of sugar and other crap in the Cliff's builder's bar is frightening. Sadly it tastes so good :(

OP not sure if you're picky about the type of protein. I generally find protein bars that contain Whey to be consistently gross, whereas ones with Soy tastes better.

I've stopped eating bars because the taste just doesn't justify the high price. If your circumstances allow, I would stick with protein shakes, canned tuna, hardboiled eggs etc.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Don't get Arnolds MP bars, taste like crap.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jun 10, 2016
525 posts
407 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I love the Oh Yeah bars from GNC - they are some of the largest bars out there, yet not as expensive as quest and some others...
Apr 5, 2012
368 posts
254 upvotes
RICHMOND
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm gonna try those combat crunch bars and misson 1 + cliffs. I've been meaning to do a walmart order anyway so I'll order both the mission 1 and cliffs with that to try them. The sugar issue you mention worries me a bit but i may just give them a try anyway.

I'm mainly eating them as a meal replacement for breakfast/lunch to aid me in losing weight. I just wanted something quick that will keep me full until dinner time. I just bought these Elevateme bars from costco that aren't too bad... not a huge fan of fruit but they taste alright. They basically taste like a mix of fruit leather and a nutrigrain bar and the price isnt too bad (I think around ~$20 for 12 bars).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4377 posts
1595 upvotes
i've searched online about "best protein bars" and reading it just made me feel that i'm better off buying nuts from Costco and make my own bars instead... most of these bars have too much sugar and glucose...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
Mission1 from walmart is decent.
May 1, 2016
32 posts
5 upvotes
Quebec city
i buy the cliff at Costco, about 18$ if i remember well for 24 bars.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
1003 posts
401 upvotes
I've eaten a lot of protein bars over the years, here are my general thoughts on the major "premium" brands:

Quest: S'mores, Mint Chocolate Chunk, White Chocolate Raspberry, Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are the only flavours worth the price. Even then, I only buy boxes of these when I can get the price close to $25/box. After the new formula, the texture on WCR/C&C have gotten a little worse, but the rest are still very good. Their coated pumpkin pie bar is straight nasty, only quest bar I've had to spit out.

Combat Crunch: Cinnamon Twist and Chocolate Coconut are phenomenal. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup is also pretty great. The biggest issue with these bars is the quality varies dramatically. When fresh, these have the perfect texture and flavour, but if you catch a bad batch they're as hard as rocks and sometimes have a funky taste. Birthday Cake is straight nasty, tastes like froot loops with about 10 lbs of added sugar.

ONE: Birthday Cake, Almond Bliss are two of the best protein bars I've ever tasted. Peanut Butter Pie, Lemon Cake and Mint Chocolate Chip are all great as well. Texture for all these bars are phenomenal, extremely consistent and very soft. Their white chocolate raspberry is nasty.

Mission1: Hard as a rock. Taste is alright, they're extremely not sweet, so if you find all the other bars way too sweet these might be your answer. Would not buy again because I think they're just slightly worse than all the other bars. Everyone else says cookies and cream is their only good flavour, but I absolutely hated their cookies and cream and didn't mind the other two.

B-Up: Opposite problem as Mission1 bars - they're completely soft with absolutely nothing else going on texture wise. I thought the flavours were alright but nothing great. Would not buy again for the same reason I wouldn't buy mission1 again - just a step below other bars.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Have to ask here-in what store chain can you get Manitoba Harvest hemp bars? I sampled one at Sobeys Extra during a demo last year but the item (3 flavours actually) is not actually sold at that store (I've checked several times). Chocolate is a bit oily tasting but I love hemp.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)