Automotive

Which province pays the most for auto insurance

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 8:07 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 21, 2018
657 posts
571 upvotes
Vancouver

Which province pays the most for auto insurance

It's a frequent topic of discussion here whether private or public auto insurance is better, and who pays the most.

Adding fuel to the fire, there's a new study by the General Insurance Statistical Agency concluding that BC is the highest (by a long shot), and Ontario 2nd.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/08/13 ... -premiums/

As the article mentions, BC's public insurance agency ICBC is trying to fight rising rates by unilaterally reducing legal settlements, although it's yet to be seen if this ends up actually raising rates if lt leads to longer and more costly court battles.

BC does not have the equivalent of the Insurance Act in Ontario that sets specified fault rules for different types of collision accidents regardless of any argument about actual fault. Therefore every accident in BC is open to a legal fault dispute.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8509 posts
6007 upvotes
Markham
I don’t suppose Brampton is itself a province.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
49847 posts
14947 upvotes
Probably Brampton Ontario.

I recall in the mid 90's, my dad paying $1600 to ICBC for each car. We lived in Coquitlam back then and were new to Canada.

I am paying around $800 for each car now with an occasional driver on the policy. This is in the suburbs still part of the GTA.

Maybe the long driving history made a difference.
<unnecessary>
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
49847 posts
14947 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:49 pm
I don’t suppose Brampton is itself a province.
A friend there got a good deal with one insurer. I dare mot share the insurer for his sake lol.
<unnecessary>
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 21, 2018
657 posts
571 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure why Quebec is the cheapest. I haven't noticed Quebec drivers being particularly safety-conscious! Must be some other factor affecting auto insurance pricing there? Court system? Government regulation?
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2012
513 posts
200 upvotes
Victoria
ICBC is a complete joke. Just like BC Ferries, horribly rum companies.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 5, 2004
4168 posts
533 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Scote64 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:08 pm
Not sure why Quebec is the cheapest. I haven't noticed Quebec drivers being particularly safety-conscious! Must be some other factor affecting auto insurance pricing there? Court system? Government regulation?
Quebec has the worst accident benefit coverages. You pay for what you get.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3705 posts
1913 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:08 pm
Not sure why Quebec is the cheapest. I haven't noticed Quebec drivers being particularly safety-conscious! Must be some other factor affecting auto insurance pricing there? Court system? Government regulation?
Quebec is the cheapest because of the no fault law. If I have an at fault accident, my insurer pays for my damages, the other party's insurance pays for the other party's damage, the other party can't sue me to criminal court. This, even if I am dead drunk and stoned by the recently legalised marijuana. And, over all, if I become paraplegic because of this same accident where I was dead drunk and stoned, it's the SAAQ who will pay my wheeling chair, the doctors, the private nurse, and my livings… that's why private insurance is so cheap in Qc., government almost takes it all. That's the reason why we probably are the province where it costs the most to plate a car and for driving license.

Source: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/traffic-acci ... /in-brief/

One thing, If I am involved in an accident where I am dead drunk and stoned, the other party can't sue me, but the Crown will, as it is illegal to drive while intoxicated
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Aug 13th, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3705 posts
1913 upvotes
sixer wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:59 pm
Quebec has the worst accident benefit coverages. You pay for what you get.
where did you get this? Source, please? For sure, you pay for what you get. I can have a 250 deductible, or a 1000 deductible. The first one costs more. Same for protections. I can have protection for rented cars. I'll pay for this. I can have an extra protection in case of death in an accident. even if government pays for this. This, again, is an extra. So yes, we have what we pay for like everywhere else, for anything else. But it have nothing to do with having the worst accident benefit coverage.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 5, 2004
4168 posts
533 upvotes
Guelph, ON
DoorCrasher wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 7:45 pm
where did you get this? Source, please? For sure, you pay for what you get. I can have a 250 deductible, or a 1000 deductible. The first one costs more. Same for protections. I can have protection for rented cars. I'll pay for this. I can have an extra protection in case of death in an accident. even if government pays for this. This, again, is an extra. So yes, we have what we pay for like everywhere else, for anything else. But it have nothing to do with having the worst accident benefit coverage.
In Quebec, your auto insurance policy does not include bodily injury, its actually added as part of provincial license registration. That said, coverage are not very good at all. Hence lower car insurance premium.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1857 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
QC doesn't have accident benefits as part of the auto insurance product... this is the main reason why costs are much lower. Keep in mind though that Quebecer's generally pay more for social services, including medical coverage through taxes so while their car insurance maybe lower, it comes out of another pocket, ie taxes. Previous poster is accurate in their statement.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3705 posts
1913 upvotes
sixer wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 7:58 pm
In Quebec, your auto insurance policy does not include bodily injury, its actually added as part of provincial license registration. That said, coverage are not very good at all. Hence lower car insurance premium.
Why would private auto insurance policy would include body injury if it is covered by the public insurance provided by the SAAQ? why coverage are not very good at all? Because of this? No need to pay for this, as you said, we pay it through registration AND driver's licence. So we are covered like anybody else in the country. Your point makes no sense, unless there is something I don't catch? Please elaborate, if this is the case...
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1857 posts
614 upvotes
Kitchener
DoorCrasher wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:23 pm
Why would private auto insurance policy would include body injury if it is covered by the public insurance provided by the SAAQ? why coverage are not very good at all? Because of this? No need to pay for this, as you said, we pay it through registration AND driver's licence. So we are covered like anybody else in the country. Your point makes no sense, unless there is something I don't catch? Please elaborate, if this is the case...
Bodily injury is covered as part of auto policies in most provinces. Why? good question... reason is that in provinces where its part of the auto policy its due to the provincial health plan charging back services to the insurance provided. So when someone is hurt in a car accident, your health care is charged back to your insurance, assuming you have insurance. This is why its part of the policy. In QC, the health plan does not do this so thats why its not part of the policy. If you look at your policy you'll see that 40-50% of the cost of your insurance policy is Accident Benefits. Its a very large portion of the overall $$ we pay
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3705 posts
1913 upvotes
peelhic wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 9:13 pm
Bodily injury is covered as part of auto policies in most provinces. Why? good question... reason is that in provinces where its part of the auto policy its due to the provincial health plan charging back services to the insurance provided. So when someone is hurt in a car accident, your health care is charged back to your insurance, assuming you have insurance. This is why its part of the policy. In QC, the health plan does not do this so thats why its not part of the policy. If you look at your policy you'll see that 40-50% of the cost of your insurance policy is Accident Benefits. Its a very large portion of the overall $$ we pay
Thanks for the reply, butI know all of this. Because of the "no fault" I cannot sie, or my insurance cannot sue another party involved in an accident with me, even if this party is not at fault. Same thing for medical services, those services cannot be charged back to insurers. And what you and I explained does not make Qc. private insurance policies with a coverage "less good" than elsewhere in Canada like our fellow RFD'er sixer says. If I have an accident, damages to my car are covered, if I have any injuries, hospital is free, days off work lost because of injuries are covered by SAAQ, and i I ever become with an handicap I will have a pension paid by the SAAQ. Anybody involved in an accident implying a car in Qc. is covered by the provincial plan, regardless if it is a car driver, a cyclist, a pedestrian, or whatever road user. And, IMHO this is one of the best insurance coverage in the world. But it have a price (taxes, registration and driver's license price)

Top