Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa

Provincial Dental Coverage for Children

I've always thought that other provinces have similar cutoff dates for dental coverage at around 10-12 years old for children and never bothered to look up the cut off ages to other provinces. BUT this article states that most provinces are covered up to age 18! :-0 :-0 And that we're the oddball at ending it at age 10!! Is there other provinces that end it close to age 10 too?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... teeth.html
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I wish my teeth didn't get destroyed from too much Coke, ice cream and other sweets.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
A lot of provinces the cutoff is 17 or 18 BUT just so you know in case the article was not clear, provincial coverage is for low income families only not just anyone under 18.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3807 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
setell wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 1:25 pm
I've always thought that other provinces have similar cutoff dates for dental coverage at around 10-12 years old for children and never bothered to look up the cut off ages to other provinces. BUT this article states that most provinces are covered up to age 18! :-0 :-0 And that we're the oddball at ending it at age 10!! Is there other provinces that end it close to age 10 too?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... teeth.html
There is free dental coverage for children under 10? Is it at any regular dentist like you can with work insurance??? Thanks
May 28, 2012
8890 posts
1504 upvotes
Saskatoon
Title should state for low-income families. We've always had to pay for our children's dental. I remember years ago, the dental services would come to the schools...those were the days. In our province, annual eye appointments are still covered for children up to 18.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
Nope, in NS it's for every kid up to age 10. It's not income tested to receive the benefit. Show up to your dentist with your health card and the dentist bills MSI (similar to OHIP in ON). The article just highlights how low income families can't afford to provide dental care beyond age 10 and is causing a strain on the system after age 10.

We even have a public drug plan that you can opt into!

Brief highlight of what NS offers in their public health plan:

http://www.caahealth.ca/caa/what-cover/ ... nId=000130
Prescription drugs

•Individuals over 65 who receive GIS are eligible for Seniors Pharmacare Plan.
•There is no premium and you pay 33% of your prescription up to a maximum of $30.00 per prescription and $350 a year.
•Individuals over 65, who do not receive GIS, must pay a premium up to $390.00 per year and 33% of your prescription up to $350 per year. Lowincome seniors may qualify for reduced premium.

Dental care

•Children under 10 years and individuals 65 and over: coverage for preventative and restorative services.
•Coverage for medically necessary surgical procedures, when performed in hospital available to everyone.

Vision care

•Children under 10 years and individuals 65 and over: coverage for one optometrist visit every two years.
•Individuals between 10 and 64: No coverage available.
× < >