• Oct 20th, 2004 8:24 am
Tags:
None
Mar 21, 2003
664 posts
42 upvotes

PS2 or Xbox???

trying to decided which one to get
ps2 seems to have much much better games... xbox only has a few that i'd want to play
but with the xbox u can watch movies etc.. and u got an HD, dont have to deal with burning cds and all that crap

so what would u buy? ;)

btw whats with that HD advance thing... can u now use the PS2 like the XBOX???
86 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1864 posts
838 upvotes
Oakville
HDAdvance & HDLoader allows to back up your own games to a hard drive you install in the PS2.

I personally prefer the XBOX.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1440 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
100% for the XBox
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Xbox, for 3 reasons.

1)Halo2
2)Halo2
3)Halo2

My PS2 is only still around for GTA. Actually the past year I've had it lent out to freinds. Most games are on all platforms(and xbox wins that as it's more powerful then the other 2). And the PS2 exclusive titles with the exception of GTA do little for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
2315 posts
578 upvotes
Vancouver
Xbox, because you will be a cool manly man if you got one....

PS: I am getting a PS2 next week (if it does actually ship next week) and I don't think I will ever get an Xbox unless it's below $50. ;)
Halo 2 and most Xbox games do not interest me at all but if you enjoy shooters or the general 'guy' games then you should get an Xbox.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
Enough of the system wars.
Get both. Xbox is a fantastic system hardware wise (plus the moddable stuff you can do with it kicks the PS2's even with the HD enabled) but the sad fact is, PS2 has better exclusive games and wayyyy more variety.

Get the one with the games you want to play, don't buy one to admire ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2481 posts
14 upvotes
sfu_lifer wrote:Enough of the system wars.
Get both. Xbox is a fantastic system hardware wise (plus the moddable stuff you can do with it kicks the PS2's even with the HD enabled) but the sad fact is, PS2 has better exclusive games and wayyyy more variety.

Get the one with the games you want to play, don't buy one to admire ;)
Agreed 100%. Xbox only has a few exclusive games worth it, Halo, Fable, KOTR. But games on both are generally better on the xbox.

PS2 on the other hand, exclussive games are endless, Final Fantasy, Socom, every other RPG, Killzone ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9079 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="Carnage"]Xbox, for 3 reasons.

1)Halo2
2)Halo2
3)Halo2

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... err is that all the xbox have?!... lol... not to mention it will be ported out for the pc within a few weeks/months and it will be soo much better...

id say PS2... lots of titles to choose from ranging from first party to third party.. the only thing saving the xbox is its third party support...
so PS2 all the way
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Another vote for the Xbox.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
cmge wrote:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... err is that all the xbox have?!... lol... not to mention it will be ported out for the pc within a few weeks/months and it will be soo much better...

id say PS2... lots of titles to choose from ranging from first party to third party.. the only thing saving the xbox is its third party support...
so PS2 all the way
Sure the system has other good games. But Halo is by far the best one.

If it is ported to PC it won't be a matter of months. At the earliest it could be a year. But to be honest Halo PC isn't that much better then the Xbox version.

And with Halo2's xbox live support a PC version really wouldn't have that much of an advantage.

Good point someone else said about getting both. I've got an Xbox,PS2,and Gamecube. So there's nothing I miss out on. ;)
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
xbox by far.

i have both. the PS2 is just way too outdated hardware wise. a good game such as GTA was ruined by the PS2 b/c of bad graphcis, rediculous load times.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1085 posts
3 upvotes
Côte Saint-Luc
these days

XBOX for sure. .. since you can do so much to it to mod it ...
Jun 17, 2003
739 posts
stunaz wrote:trying to decided which one to get
ps2 seems to have much much better games... xbox only has a few that i'd want to play
but with the xbox u can watch movies etc.. and u got an HD, dont have to deal with burning cds and all that crap

so what would u buy? ;)

btw whats with that HD advance thing... can u now use the PS2 like the XBOX???
I've had both systems for a couple of years now...and my PS2 gets 90% of my playtime. Mostly cuz I love turn-based rpg's and hardcore action games, both of which ps2 has. Been gaming for years so i'm not really a graphics whooore, while most people will buy an xbox game for graphics I'll be the ps2 version because the controls on ps2 tend to me much more precise.

Good stuff on xbox though, you can mod it like crazy...+Riddick, Halo 2, and the Tom Clancy games are the best. Maybe ninja gaiden too, but the controls + camera are awful. However, notice a trend? Mostly shooters.

Good stuff on ps2 (keep in mind i'm not a GTA fan), Devil May Cry, FF series, Shadow Hearts 2, Xenosaga, Castlevania (repetitive tho), Ratchet series, Jak series, street fighter anniversary, viewtiful joe....I dunno, it just seems that ps2 has more variety.

Can't go wrong on either system =)
Jul 15, 2003
910 posts
554 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
vonteego wrote:I've had both systems for a couple of years now...and my PS2 gets 90% of my playtime. Mostly cuz I love turn-based rpg's and hardcore action games, both of which ps2 has. Been gaming for years so i'm not really a graphics whooore, while most people will buy an xbox game for graphics I'll be the ps2 version because the controls on ps2 tend to me much more precise.

Good stuff on xbox though, you can mod it like crazy...+Riddick, Halo 2, and the Tom Clancy games are the best. Maybe ninja gaiden too, but the controls + camera are awful. However, notice a trend? Mostly shooters.

Good stuff on ps2 (keep in mind i'm not a GTA fan), Devil May Cry, FF series, Shadow Hearts 2, Xenosaga, Castlevania (repetitive tho), Ratchet series, Jak series, street fighter anniversary, viewtiful joe....I dunno, it just seems that ps2 has more variety.

Can't go wrong on either system =)
I could not possibly agree more. If you're out for shooters, why are you playing it on X-box when you can have a keyboard/mouse on computer?

PS2 has such a nice variety of genres, that if you get tired of one, move on to the next one. There are so many good series out on PS2, I'd like to add Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, .hack, Shinobi/Kunoichi, the list is pretty endless. Action games have a very nice selection as well:

- Blood Will Tell (you're a man who has 48 prosthetic limbs and you're on a quest to get them all back, you begin the game in black and white and you when you get parts back, you get new abilities, like seeing in colour, sword arms and a knee-mounted cannon for example).

- Bujingai (if you like crazy chinese action movies, imagine how it turns out when you put it into a video game. I can't even describe this one, just watch a vid or two)

- Dynasty Warriors series / Samurai Warriors series (this is just beyond words, with two player mode, you can relieve so much stress with games like these. You just run around and hack and slash everyone to death, SW is more mission based if you're up for that kind of thing. DW boasts a 42 character repertoire whereas SW has a 15 character repertoire to give you more than enough action to last you quite a while)

Then there are games like Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath which are great if you like to play by yourself and you can even go online and play with others to get the maximum party and best if possible.

There are just too many good games on PS2 to skip over the system for X-box. Not that X-box doesn't have any good games, just that the amount on PS2 vs X-box is no comparison. I'm hoping that they do do well on the next one though, but right now, PS2 is a much better choice if you don't like FPS (which PS2 has quite a lot of too).
Jun 30, 2004
761 posts
2 upvotes
Though I am anti-Microsoft and anti-Sony, I would go with the PS2, because of the games

I am a Nintendo fan, but the reason that I got a PS2 instead of Gamecube, is beacause there is no Piracy with the gamecube
and also SNK vs Capcom 2, which wasnt out on the gamecube before

get ps2, since Games>>>>power(graphics, sound), unless u wanna buy the system for the graphics and not the game
ps2 has great graphics also though
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
I'm probably in the minority of people who actually like the Xbox controller more then the PS2 one. ;)

For FPS's I've found the PS2 controller to suck horribly. The analog sticks just don't seem to be in the right location for those types of games.

Although a controller is no match for a mouse and keyboard, the control scheme used in games like Halo works very well, and can in someways match what experience you can get on a PC.

That's the problem I've having with Metroid Prime on the GC. Although it's a great game, the controls just seem very inferior. The lack of a 2nd analog stick to use as a look is driving me mad at times.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
17278 posts
73 upvotes
Neither!! Nintendo all the way!! :D
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4848 upvotes
Burnaby
went through this myself.... ended up with PS2 because I couldn't come up with a single RPG that appealed to me on the xbox (fable's too short, too actiony), and gamecube had 2 (skies of arcadia, tales of symphonia)

PS2? FFX/X-2, Suikoden III/IV, Grandia 2 and Xtreme, LA PUCELLE TACTICS, DISGAEA, PHANTOM BRAVE, all the PS1 RPGs... FF 7-9, Alundra 1,2, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, FF Tactics, Breath of Fire...
Jun 17, 2003
739 posts
crimsona wrote:went through this myself.... ended up with PS2 because I couldn't come up with a single RPG that appealed to me on the xbox (fable's too short, too actiony), and gamecube had 2 (skies of arcadia, tales of symphonia)

PS2? FFX/X-2, Suikoden III/IV, Grandia 2 and Xtreme, LA PUCELLE TACTICS, DISGAEA, PHANTOM BRAVE, all the PS1 RPGs... FF 7-9, Alundra 1,2, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia, FF Tactics, Breath of Fire...
My gawd....Final Fantasy X-2...heh I played that before i even played X. It's so whimsical and wacky and depressing and exciting...you can pick up and play for 5 mins or 5 hours with the mission-based play. It's so anti-reality and quirky - no wonder it's such a perfect "escape" to engross yourself in. I loved it! It's like watching a B-movie with characters you care about! :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)