• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2004 8:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
Interesting note for mod users - apparently now the Xbox Live people can ban people from Live even when the mod is disabled. Has something to do with checking for a replaced hard drive or something.

Anyway, just a FYI, do not try using Live on a modded xbox! :)
Nov 29, 2003
400 posts
Carnage wrote:I'm in the same situation. The games I have gotten lately for Gamecube have really let me down.

Zelda:Wind Waker I still haven't finished as it seems very drawn out and boring.

Smash Bros Meele pretty much sucks. That let me down as the original on N64 I was really addicted to.

Metroid Prime I've just started playing. I wouldn't call it a let-down, but it is way over hyped. The controls are just too painful, and obsolete. Mouse look, and dual analog usage is just standard now adays. Having to hold a button to free look is just painful, and IMHO kills the promise of the game.

Mario Kart Double Dash is also really boring. Although I still have some hope for battle mode which I haven't tried. But what I've seen of the single player races is pretty bad. I've gone through the first 3 circuits, and can only come up with 1 track which I though was fun and original.

It's never a good sign when 4 seperate franchise games let you down that much.

If it wasn't for Mario Sunshine which I thought was great, and alot of fun I would have been really critical of the system as a whole.
Hmm... I disagree, I really enjoy the games that the gamecube has to offer. I love all the classics reborn in their gamecube glory... they are so much fun to play. I especially love F-Zero GX... the speed in that game is incredible. Ever try Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2? Those games are classics and are an absolute ball in multi-player. Another good 'gem' to try is Ikaruga. Awesome shooter.

I gotta say with the gamecube it is about quality over quantity. Sure I would like some more games, however what I have right now I am content with (although overall I am a PC gamer!!)
Nov 29, 2003
400 posts
Txiasaeia wrote:It's not about amount of games, it's about quality. Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, & Viewtiful Joe guarantee replayability and play time. Plus, the system is cheaper. Besides, any game I would really want to play for the XBox I can play on my PC.

Furthermore, what's the deal with Halo? Unless it has a significantly better online experience, for the life of me I have no idea why it's so popular.
I agree... I think people are afraid to play GC because of it's "kiddy" image. I'll tell ya what folks, I play video games to have fun and I think gamecube has the biggest fun factor out of all the consoles... Sure MGS2 is a good game but are you really having a great time sifting through cutscenes? I think game makers should stop focusing on a huge story line (especially in action games... in RPGs it is okay) and focus more on the gameplay of the game. If I want a deep and involved story I will watch a movie!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3651 posts
133 upvotes
Txiasaeia wrote:It's not about amount of games, it's about quality. Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, & Viewtiful Joe guarantee replayability and play time. Plus, the system is cheaper. Besides, any game I would really want to play for the XBox I can play on my PC.

Furthermore, what's the deal with Halo? Unless it has a significantly better online experience, for the life of me I have no idea why it's so popular.
It's hard to say why, it just is. I have never encountered a console game that has been so popular. Ppl don't get together to play xbox, they get together to play Halo. There is nothing extraordinary about it, it's just damn good.

I'd pick xbox any day, for most of the reasons that ppl have already listed. Primarily because of its MODDING capability. Once you have the mod set up, you will be dumbfounded at how powerful and cheap the multimedia capabilties are. Setting up an equivalent HTPC with HDTV video and DD5.1 sound would be much more costly, inferior in quality and harder to use.

Some other reasons not mentioned:

1. xbox controller > ps2 controller > gamecube controller. i think ppl like ps2 controller's because they grew up with playstation. for uninitiated gamers, the xbox controller s is always more popular. for ps players who give it a chance, they also see the light. xbox controller is MUCH better for FPS (orientation of thumbsticks) and racing (how can you ever go back to ps2 after using analog triggers for racing). everything else is probably even, although i personally find the composition of the thumbsticks and shape of the controller more forgiving on the xbox than ps2 during marathon sessions.

2. everyone mentions rpgs are better and exclusive on the ps2. personally i've played my share of RPGs and the best by far has been KOTOR which is xbox exclusive. Bioware is now working on 3 more RPG titles for xbox (kotor sequal, one based in mythical china, one based on standard fantasy) which are sure to be hits (Bioware has always released hits). If you're a real RPG fan, I don't know how you can pass up games like these. fable is pretty damn cool too, if not a lil short. definately rpgs like these are much more immersive and involving than anything i've played on ps2 (run around, random encounter, level up, etc...)

3. xbox live. playstation doesn't have anything to compare. tunneling services (free networking using your computer) are always more popular for xbox than ps2. more supported games and more players.

4. well ppl have mentioned graphics. xbox graphics are just plain superior to ps2 in terms of textures, framerate, features, etc... What ppl don't mention is that AV quality is much higher as well. HDTV is supported by most games, dolby digital sound (using nforce 2 soundstorm i believe) is much higher quality than ps2. if u have some high-end home theater equipment, the xbox will make the best use of it

So those are some of the other reasons to pick xbox. it's basically a good console to start with, but with so much potential to be more. it's the center piece in my home theater. it can potentially save u money in the long run (by DLing games, movies, etc...). i don't even have cable anymore... all the shows i want to watch, i download the hdtv recordings from the internet and play them on my home theater thru the xbox. look up how much an hdtv cable box or satellite receiver will cost you!!!

buy xbox... if u have some money left over (with all the savings... u might), then think about a different console
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13164 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Well said. I like my XBox for the superior audio and visual quality. I have a widescreen TV and a 5.1 speaker setup and the Xbox is the only system to consistently exploit this. As for the superior RPGs of the PS2, KOTOR was awesome and I much prefer the RPGs for PCs (Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc.) overall anyway.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
Beradon wrote:http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_compatibility.htm

Where did you see that info? It'll be cool if they do come through.

chdude3

Sorry dude but GC has even less games than the xbox. Then there's the question if there will even be more games made for it. I remember the N64 and how fast that dropped off the radar.
It's all about the games you like. The Nintendo exclusives happen to be very very good.
I have the GC just for those, can't get them on any other console and IMO (and others as well) they beat Sony's and Microsoft's 1st Party exclusives. GC should've been markedly superior to the PS2 hardware wise but nobody is spending any time to exploit its capabilities, not even Nintendo :( .
Modding scene is just about non-existent (the PSO hack is far too annoying).
I prefer the Xbox controller for FPS (far more natural, kudos to MS for putting the analog sticks like that) but the default triggers for racing games is hard on your fingers after a while.
Check PS2Ownz for the latest BS news (they've been more accurate the last year but they get over optimistic and they love to promote stuff they get paid a referral fee on).
I don't get Halo either but it was revolutionary for console FPS at the time, although Halo 2 is set to rock, can't wait for dvdsoon to deliver my stuff.
Graphics wise, Xbox kicks butt over everything else (although when properly pushed, the GC can get close). Imagine MGS3 on Xbox, it would look amazing with the bump mapping and shader effects. Seeing the PSM demo was disappointing graphically (same textures over and again).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
The thing about Halo is that it's a very polished game. Every aspect of the game is balanced so well. Plus it's just fun as hell romping around in a warthog. ;)

But most of the people who say it's over hyped are those who have only played it by themselves. Playing it solo is fun and all. But it gets so much better when you have to peaople playing the campaign co-op. Just adds so much more to it when you got a buddy playing along with you.

And the multi-player is also a blast with 3-4 people, and should be even better with full blown battles via xbox live.

Halo is a good single player game, and aweseome multi-player game. It'd be like reviewing Golden Eye for the N64 only on the single player game.

Edit: I should also add about the physics and environment. Halo has what Doom3 lacked(but that is due to resource limitation). You fight waves of enemies at one time, and as you knock them off their bodies will be strewn all over the wall/hallway. Grenades will detonate other grenades, scattering the bodies across the hall. Driving around in the warthog getting knocked flying by explosions,etc. It's just a fun game to play. But it's also a game which you can easilly miss it's strong suits if not experienced properly.

But it's still a matter of opinion. There's plenty of games that I hate that other people love(FFX comes to mind).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)