Computers & Electronics

PS3 Emulator On PS4

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2013 11:36 pm

Poll: YES or NO

• Total votes: 25. You have voted on this poll.
YES

12%
NO

88%
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough

PS3 Emulator On PS4

I know it's not possible at the moment but do you guys think there will ever be a PS3 software emulator on the PS4 so that we can play last gen games? Is it even technically possible with this gens current specs?

Made a poll and voted no. Would like to hear some responses.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
No,

Sony won't let this happen.

/thread.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
I wish at least PSN PS3 games could be played. Guess we'll just have to keep our PS3s around as well.

But I'm wondering if it's even technically possible because the PS3 used a Cell processor. So even a hacked PS4 would probably not work. Only way I would think is if Sony made an official software emulator that used some crazy algorithms.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
3061 posts
182 upvotes
No, never.

But with Gaikai you should be able to stream/play anything. It will be a while before they do that and you'll need faster internet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
I have read that decent emulation requires 10x the processing power of that which is emulated, I do not think current gen stuff is 10x more powerful as the previous gen stuff.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
toalan wrote: I have read that decent emulation requires 10x the processing power of that which is emulated, I do not think current gen stuff is 10x more powerful as the previous gen stuff.
Yea I heard that too but certain PS3 models that took out the emotion engine were able to still emulate PS2 games via software emulation built by Sony. I know it's a long shot and it's more likely that Sony would create a backward compatible PS4 before that happens.

It would be more cool if they instead recoded all their PS3 digital content to just be compatible on PS4s as well. Don't think any of these theories will happen tho since this is $ony we're talking about.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
725 upvotes
Why ps3 is so cheap.... And ps3 still have so much life.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
I'd like them to port last of us to ps4... that's really the only ps3 game I really want to play...
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
markj wrote: I'd like them to port last of us to ps4... that's really the only ps3 game I really want to play...
Yea i think that's a possibility that they'll just port a few titles
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
The gaikai (sp?) asset that sony bought is a a great move, I am pretty sure down the road a large portion of the PS library will be made available on the PS4, probably PS4 games and PC games might be made available to PS3 and vita, hopefully sony will have a PC client also. I played the ME3 demo on gaikai before they got bought out by sony and I was seriously impressed, it was smooth, looked sharp, and in a browser no less. Gaikai really puts onlive to shame. One can only imagine how beastly gaikai is now with sony pumping large sums of money into it.

I think that gaikai will change the face of console gaming and even PC gaming, it is very possible that this is there will be no next gen console launch, if there is then it will be a cheap $100 android console with gaikai client baked in.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
I'll have to read up some more about Gaikai. I just heard the name floating around quite a bit before and that is the impression I'm getting that people really like it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
A quick Gaikai google search brought me to this recent article just posted less than 24 hours ago

http://gamingbolt.com/sony-ps4-gaikai-o ... t-possible

Here is an interesting quote from CEO Andrew House:

"I’m not sure I look at it as backwards-compatibility; I look at it as a different way to offer PlayStation 3 gaming experiences – eventually to a much broader range of devices. So it starts with PlayStation 4, then it’s possible on PlayStation Vita, but eventually it will move out to things like smart TVs and other connected boxes," House said.

And here is another excerpt about the feature

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/530879/2 ... rGzAXi9Kc0

"Though a lot of people are looking at the Gaikai service as a loophole for the lack of backwards compatibility for the PS4, House did mention that it can be more than that. Gaikai is a new way to offer and experience PS3 games via the PS4."
Jul 17, 2006
964 posts
123 upvotes
TDotHacker wrote: Yea i think that's a possibility that they'll just port a few titles
I wish they had done so for launch. The launch lineup is, to be honest, pretty weak for the PS4. I wish they (sony & other developers) had done a better job filling the gap with upscaled versions of good PS3 games. I think there is a good market right now for high res versions of The Last of Us / Borderlands 2 / Bioshock Infinite / etc etc.

I'm playing Contrast for crying out loud. Come on Sony.. give me something !
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
Gaikai....... how is it different than OnLive is for PCs??? I was a beta tester for OnLive, never caught on to me. I think OnLive is dead, or as good as dead, now.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
TDotHacker wrote: Yea I heard that too but certain PS3 models that took out the emotion engine were able to still emulate PS2 games via software emulation built by Sony. I know it's a long shot and it's more likely that Sony would create a backward compatible PS4 before that happens.

It would be more cool if they instead recoded all their PS3 digital content to just be compatible on PS4s as well. Don't think any of these theories will happen tho since this is $ony we're talking about.
Even on the "software" ps3's there was still a partial hardware emulation going on. There was still 1 chip (but I can't remember which one) that was needed for software emulation to work. Once they came out with the newer 80gb models the took the chip off and stopped offering ps2 compatibility.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
tomincanada wrote: I wish they had done so for launch. The launch lineup is, to be honest, pretty weak for the PS4. I wish they (sony & other developers) had done a better job filling the gap with upscaled versions of good PS3 games. I think there is a good market right now for high res versions of The Last of Us / Borderlands 2 / Bioshock Infinite / etc etc.

I'm playing Contrast for crying out loud. Come on Sony.. give me something !
Yea none of the launch PS4 titles were for me.

I like games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear and there's usually a handful of next gen games (at the time of ps3) that I like, like Uncharted and Last Of Us and a few other gems.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
CFRTim wrote: Gaikai....... how is it different than OnLive is for PCs??? I was a beta tester for OnLive, never caught on to me. I think OnLive is dead, or as good as dead, now.
Well from what I've read Sony bought them out and is planning to integrate its legacy PS titles to be playable on the PS4 and possibly vita and other connected devices. Seems like a good solution for the lack of backwards compatibility with much more flexibility. They are gonna start rolling out the service in 2014.

It would be awesome if the streamed titles were linked to our PSN account so that we can have access to our already purchased titles and not have to rebuy
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2803 posts
702 upvotes
Scarborough
zod wrote: Even on the "software" ps3's there was still a partial hardware emulation going on. There was still 1 chip (but I can't remember which one) that was needed for software emulation to work. Once they came out with the newer 80gb models the took the chip off and stopped offering ps2 compatibility.
Ok got it. Think I remember now. I thought even after the partial hw emulated models there was 1 model after. Guess not.

Gaikai does seem like the solution I've been looking for even if it takes a while. It's nice to see that something is in the works.
Jul 17, 2006
964 posts
123 upvotes
TDotHacker wrote: Ok got it. Think I remember now. I thought even after the partial hw emulated models there was 1 model after. Guess not.

Gaikai does seem like the solution I've been looking for even if it takes a while. It's nice to see that something is in the works.
Call me skeptical but I don't see how it's physically possible to do without lag. On some games that won't matter.. but others it most definitely will.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Gaikai....... how is it different than OnLive is for PCs??? I was a beta tester for OnLive, never caught on to me. I think OnLive is dead, or as good as dead, now.
gaikai is much much better than onlive, sharper images, higher resolution, responsive, and they did all that in a webbrowser. Onlive is total crap and they do it using their own client. Sony will probably make it's own client for gaikai and cache some of the game assets on the clients device/computer, if they play their card's right a typical gamer will not see any difference between native and cloud gaming, unless they are a really bad internet connection.

Before gaikai was bought out by Sony, their technology was good enough to offer a great gaming experience over the browser, much better than onlive. Sony has been keeping things under wraps for 2-3 years now and pumping gaikai with money and resources, the next time the public sees a sony demo of gaikai, everyone's jaw will drop. I am thinking about picking up sony stock just before they start rolling out gaikai.