• Sep 18th, 2008 7:31 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan

PS3 Repair in GTA (outside warranty)

I have a 60GB PS3 that freezes within a few seconds of boot. All lights come on, DVDs insert and eject okay, but the unit is freezing up on me. The cost to repair with [rfdlink=108]Sony[/rfdlink] is $190 (shipping + taxes included). Since the unit is over 1 year old, I'd be willing to check out a GTA based solution if it costs $100 or less. Does anyone have any experience with local PS3 repair service providers? Thanks.

Mic
12 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan
I found a disassembly guide for PS3 units at:

http://www.consolezombie.com/PS3/Sony-P ... orial.html

I read that some guys are having freeze ups on their 1st gen PS3s due to GPU overheating. This is allegedly caused by a failure of the thermal compound, and some reported that their freeze ups stopped after they cleaned and re-pasted the GPU.

My PC experiences over the last 10 years have left me with the lasting impression that it's always a good idea to have a spare power supply kicking around. Where does one find a replacement PS3 PS in the GTA? Online order only? Who has legit units? Any upgrade options?

Mic
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
6994 posts
59 upvotes
Nepean
I can't imagine the PS3's PSU is that much different from a PC ones. Maybe you can rig up the PSU from PC to output the voltage/amp you need for PS3.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone ever work with VGR (video game repair) down at 223 Jameson? I emailed the guy there and he claims they do PS3 repair, but as it's not a flat rate service, there is no price until after repair. Ya know what, that shipping box that Sony sent me is starting to look tempting! Anyways, if anyone has any good/bad experience with GVR, please let me know (from Google Maps, it looks like a dude working out of his apartment at Queen/Jameson). Thanks!

Mic
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
6880 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
mobile_mic wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2008 5:51 pm
Anyone ever work with VGR (video game repair) down at 223 Jameson? I emailed the guy there and he claims they do PS3 repair, but as it's not a flat rate service, there is no price until after repair. Ya know what, that shipping box that Sony sent me is starting to look tempting! Anyways, if anyone has any good/bad experience with GVR, please let me know (from Google Maps, it looks like a dude working out of his apartment at Queen/Jameson). Thanks!

Mic
i prob wouldnt go to a store with no flat rate, u never know how outrageous they can get. Esp when they got your ps3

I probably recommend dragon center (midland/sheppard) *They repair xbox red lights there, dunno about ps3
if not, pmall may do it (steeles/kennedy)
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
4150 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
did you try simple things such as formatting the hdd ? Was the unit dropped ? may just be some loose connection somewhere if it was dropped.

I wish I did the PS3s, but until we can mod them I am not really interested in cracking it open.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan
The unit was inherited from my brother-in-law who left the country and donated this to me in its current condition. He said he had it running with zero problems until early July, then he went to start it up one morning and it was freezing up in 0-10 secs from boot (current condition). I had it run once for about 3 mins (started a game), but that was a freak try, and mostly it produces no image at boot. He indicated that the night before the unit croaked there had been multiple power flickers, and the unit was on a mediocre surge protector. He thought the failure may have been due to that event.

If I had a 2.5" SATA drive here I would definitely try a new HD, but I'm outta luck on that front. As I'd be sending it back to Sony, I might as well clean the drive first anyways and try a re-install. Thanks!

Mic
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan
I removed the HD (very easy - see UTube) and hooked it up to my computer (Seagate 60GB 2.5 SATA drive). The drive was recognized in BIOS, but not by Windows. I re-formatted it as a NTFS drive and a FAT32 drive (recognized by Windows), but the PS3 wouldn't boot either way with the drive re-installed. I'm pleasantly suprised that swapping the PS3 drives is such an easy task. I have no idea why anybody pays Sony extra $$ for a larger drive system since 2.5 HDs are reasonably cheap. You can toss in a 160GB HD for less than $100. Interestingly, the 7200 drives seem to offer almost no performance advantage over the 5400 drives. I think the Sony fleece squad has won this round. I look forward to the day when I can score PS3 parts more easily, and rebuild this machine in a properly vented tower case!

Mic
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
4150 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
if its powersurges then something has gone, perhaps just a fuse somewhere. This happened to a customer of mine that brought their 360 over to mod and when we went to boot it on it didnt turn on, turns out he had it plugged into the wall directly and with all the rainstorms lately something happened to it.

The reason im writting this is its of the utmost importance to have any such device plugged into a high end surge protector. I myself use a battery backup & Surge. They cost a bit of money but they protect your electronics from dying. Otherwise unplug whenever youre not playing for a while or its raining.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2006
982 posts
69 upvotes
Vaughan
So, I got a PS3 unit back from Sony in about 1 week. They didn't have any problems with the fact that I had removed and reformatted the 60GB HD on my PC. The unit I received back appears new (not a scratch, scuff, or grain of dust on it). The total cost including shipping was $190, and they provided the shipping box (came by Purolator). I think the repair was kinda pricey, but at least it was an all-inclusive fix. I look forward to having a GTA based solution though should the need ever arise in the future!

Mic
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15594 posts
558 upvotes
Niagara Falls
DJXP wrote:
Aug 25th, 2008 11:39 am
if its powersurges then something has gone, perhaps just a fuse somewhere. This happened to a customer of mine that brought their 360 over to mod and when we went to boot it on it didnt turn on, turns out he had it plugged into the wall directly and with all the rainstorms lately something happened to it.

The reason im writting this is its of the utmost importance to have any such device plugged into a high end surge protector. I myself use a battery backup & Surge. They cost a bit of money but they protect your electronics from dying. Otherwise unplug whenever youre not playing for a while or its raining.
I usually turn off the power bar that it is plugged into when not in use. I've been told it's the same as unplugging it.
× < >