Computers & Electronics

PS4 Console repair in Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarket area?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2016 7:00 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
127 upvotes

PS4 Console repair in Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarket area?

Does anyone know of a place that will repair PS4 consoles in that area? The closest one I can find (via Kijiji) seems to be in Mississauga.

I messed up the optical drive cable when I took apart the PS4 to replace the thermal grease on the CPU. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is (could be one of several pieces) so I think it's time to admit defeat and take it to an expert.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Um did you try MTC? They're actually one of the only places in all of Canada that is Sony Authorised to repair these things (and I believe it's who Sony uses themselves for warranty repairs and Canadian refurbishing).

http://www.mtcservice.com/customer/playstation.php

Note however that since you're out of warranty (either by time or by tampering, or by both) flat rate repair (at a minimum) will apply. For PS4 that's $150 plus taxes which really isn't that bad if it can be repaired. They may however deem the unit requires replacement/can't be repaired but you'll have to call Sony and arrange and then send/take to MTC to find out.
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
127 upvotes
I haven't come across them, but it seems like they're extremely expensive. This is a day-1 console that's well out of warranty. The place in Mississauga is going to charge $60-$100 for the fix (depending on if the daughterboard is damaged as well). If it's going to cost me more than $100-ish, it's probably not worth it to repair as I can get a new unit for $350-ish.
I did find a place in Pacific Mall that might work out. I'll try them today or tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
I don't understand the thinking that it's better to spend $350 than $150 (maybe $250 would make sense but 3x the cost?), but whatever you think your money is better spent is up to you.

I think Sony (and MS alike) just people coming that are willing to just fork over $350-500 again and again for hardware that was dated when it came out, but that's just my $0.02.
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
127 upvotes
New unit: $350-ish
Sell old unit: $200
Cost to me: $150-ish

The old (current) unit works just fine to play digital games, but it just won't read discs. It'd be fairly easy to sell it off for $200.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)