PS4 finally gets external HDD support

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2017 11:37 am
[OP]
Nov 22, 2004
362 posts
203 upvotes

PS4 finally gets external HDD support

Edit (3/9/17): The update is available now. Here is the list of significant changes:
  • External HDD Support
  • 3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR
  • Boost Mode (for PlayStation 4 Pro only)
  • Custom Wallpapers
  • Quick Menu Refresh
  • Simplified Notification List
  • Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
  • Improved 2D Images on PS VR
  • Voice Chat for Remote Play
  • Off Console Availability

Another PS blog post on it: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/ ... -tomorrow/

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------
I've been waiting for this for the longest time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/ ... -detailed/
Last edited by mwatcher on Feb 3rd, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: mwatcher
XBL: LionChi
35 replies
Oct 28, 2016
79 posts
13 upvotes
Oh, that's a great great news. It took soooo much time to make it happen. Now PS4 gonna kill more of my time.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1110 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Mind you what's even sweeter is it's 8 TB of external hard drive support. Love that there will be a performance boost for older games to for all us PS4 Pro owners.
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2266 posts
618 upvotes
Any recommendations for a 4TB drive? Would it be better to buy an enclosure and add a drive to it myself? I assume we can use the back usb 3.0 port on the Pro.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6876 posts
599 upvotes
Victoria
That's great for people that like the external storage. One of my favourite things about playstations is that you can ramp up the internal storage so you don't need external storage. (less stuff sitting on my tv stand). Right now I'm using about 1.2tb out of 2tb, so I'm hoping there's larger smaller profile internal drives by the time I get closer to using the whole thing :)
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14054 posts
962 upvotes
I love Sony products but this delayed decision is embarrassing. We're they testing the market with one of their own proprietary hdd? This should have been in a patch long long ago.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2468 posts
269 upvotes
BC
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 3:14 am
I love Sony products but this delayed decision is embarrassing. We're they testing the market with one of their own proprietary hdd? This should have been in a patch long long ago.
Bigger issue was probably potential attack vector for piracy. MS was the guinea pig. Replaceable drives on PS4 was already very convenient.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25993 posts
1460 upvotes
Winnipeg
SwaunyJones wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:02 am
Mind you what's even sweeter is it's 8 TB of external hard drive support. Love that there will be a performance boost for older games to for all us PS4 Pro owners.
eh? doesn't say it is pro only?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST & free stuff giveaway
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25993 posts
1460 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ren wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 12:17 pm
Bigger issue was probably potential attack vector for piracy. MS was the guinea pig. Replaceable drives on PS4 was already very convenient.
2.5" drive that fits in the ps4 only goes up to 2tb though, 1/4 of the size is a huge difference to big gamers
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST & free stuff giveaway
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5488 posts
1150 upvotes
divx wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 1:09 pm
^you saying there is no usb 3.0 for the peasant ps4?
He is referring to the Firmware 4.50 update that adds a new performance boost mode. For PS4 Pro users, older games that never received official patches from the developers will
take advantage of the increased specs of the PS4 Pro regardless of whether the developers released an offical PS4 Pro enabled patch.

The PS4 amateur (the base and slim models) cannot run games any better than they currently do.

I signed up for the 4.50 firmware beta test but I never received a code for it. They sent the codes out to people that signed up earlier.
I signed up for the beta test yesterday but now registrations are closed.

source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340529

divx wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 12:53 pm
eh? doesn't say it is pro only?
The external hard drive works on all PS4 models and all PS4s have USB 3.0 ports already.
The Performance Boost mode is exclusive to PS4 Pro.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6876 posts
599 upvotes
Victoria
I missed the part about the performance boost. That's awesome!
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4033 posts
1518 upvotes
Mississauga
Happy with my 2TB internal. Don't think I'd use an external unless I absolutely needed to.

The performance boost is great for Pro owners!
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13669 posts
3079 upvotes
3D movies on the PSVR. Hmmm...most TV manufacturers no longer produce 3D TV panels. My $1,500 Samsung 4K Smart TV isn't 3D compatible. Guess it really is as just a fad after all. External HDD is welcome. Was wondering if I should add my extra WD 2TB drive to my satellite TV but this puts it where it will be used more. Most people still yelping for ability to change your user name or ability to play media like audio CDs. These should have been year one addons but NOPE. Going to have to await Sony's response to the Scorpio project to see where they want to go with consoles in the future. Was going to get a Pro but now may be tempted to get a Switch in March or else just be patient until the Scorpio is released. Going to be an interesting year in the console market...
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14054 posts
962 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 1:12 pm
He is referring to the Firmware 4.50 update that adds a new performance boost mode. For PS4 Pro users, older games that never received official patches from the developers will
take advantage of the increased specs of the PS4 Pro regardless of whether the developers released an offical PS4 Pro enabled patch.

The PS4 amateur (the base and slim models) cannot run games any better than they currently do.

I signed up for the 4.50 firmware beta test but I never received a code for it. They sent the codes out to people that signed up earlier.
I signed up for the beta test yesterday but now registrations are closed.

source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340529

The external hard drive works on all PS4 models and all PS4s have USB 3.0 ports already.
The Performance Boost mode is exclusive to PS4 Pro.

When is the patch released for public consumption?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel