PC & Video Games

PS4 finally gets external HDD support

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2017 11:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
Reading on neogaf, the 4.50 firmware will probably be released to the public in about a month from now, judging from
previous firmware Beta tests Sony has done.

Someone on neogaf is sharing a burner account that has the firmware available to download on it. Only one person can log-in
at a time and the account has to be deleted off the system afterwards. I was able to download the Beta firmware that way.
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 2:23 am

When is the patch released for public consumption?
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14171 posts
988 upvotes
Thanks but I'll wait for the official patch. It's ridiculous how much space these games take up. I have to either delete old games I may not want to play or pick wisely what games I want for long term. 500GB doesn't go far anymore.
Sep 4, 2016
323 posts
88 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 8:13 pm
3D movies on the PSVR. Hmmm...most TV manufacturers no longer produce 3D TV panels. My $1,500 Samsung 4K Smart TV isn't 3D compatible. Guess it really is as just a fad after all. External HDD is welcome. Was wondering if I should add my extra WD 2TB drive to my satellite TV but this puts it where it will be used more. Most people still yelping for ability to change your user name or ability to play media like audio CDs. These should have been year one addons but NOPE. Going to have to await Sony's response to the Scorpio project to see where they want to go with consoles in the future. Was going to get a Pro but now may be tempted to get a Switch in March or else just be patient until the Scorpio is released. Going to be an interesting year in the console market...
There is a reason why "greatness awaits" is the PS slogan.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2515 posts
279 upvotes
BC
I own 70 physical PS4 games, and I'm happy with 2tb's. Maybe a SSD inside with a 2tb external will get me to use an external drive.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3286 posts
218 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 2:44 pm
I own 70 physical PS4 games
that's pretty damn impressive considering we're only mid-cycle.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6224 posts
486 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Feb 4th, 2017 8:13 pm
3D movies on the PSVR. Hmmm...most TV manufacturers no longer produce 3D TV panels. My $1,500 Samsung 4K Smart TV isn't 3D compatible. Guess it really is as just a fad after all. External HDD is welcome. Was wondering if I should add my extra WD 2TB drive to my satellite TV but this puts it where it will be used more. Most people still yelping for ability to change your user name or ability to play media like audio CDs. These should have been year one addons but NOPE. Going to have to await Sony's response to the Scorpio project to see where they want to go with consoles in the future. Was going to get a Pro but now may be tempted to get a Switch in March or else just be patient until the Scorpio is released. Going to be an interesting year in the console market...
3D was a fad mostly due to the glasses being a nuisance. People who already have eye problems were inconvenienced, others cant even see 3D at all, it wasnt handled or developed properly. I personally love 3D for certain movies, like Avatar or some animated features, but it only works on roller coaster ride type movies.

4K is also a fad, marketing specific, as it doesnt provide anything new for people that dont have screens above 60 inches, or that dont stick their eyes to the tv set, to be close enough to notice pixels.

HDR is the most important tv update since SD to HD, but the manufacturing industry finds it easier to market 4k because "bigger is better" is a much easier and self explanatory sell to uneducated buyers, than explaining what HDR and 10 bit images are.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3286 posts
218 upvotes
if you create content even basic photos and videos, you would know 4K is certainly not a fad.

I'm keeping my 64" TV which is a 1080 panel...but everything else from my phone, laptop, gaming console, cameras got the 4K treatment. I'll be upgrading my PC and monitor this year too.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 3:25 pm
HDR is the most important tv update since SD to HD, but the manufacturing industry finds it easier to market 4k because "bigger is better" is a much easier and self explanatory sell to uneducated buyers, than explaining what HDR and 10 bit images are.
Yup, it's also easier to explain to people what higher resolutions looks like, versus trying to explain HDR and the improved colour palette and contrast ratio. It's hard enough to explain to some people why I prefer my plasma to LED in terms of black levels, I can't even imagine having to address the whole colourscape thing without being able to show it.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6945 posts
620 upvotes
Victoria
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 4:27 pm
if you create content even basic photos and videos, you would know 4K is certainly not a fad.

I'm keeping my 64" TV which is a 1080 panel...but everything else from my phone, laptop, gaming console, cameras got the 4K treatment. I'll be upgrading my PC and monitor this year too.
I'm the opposite. I can't see the difference between 1080p and 4k on small screens. Definitely not a 5 inch phone, 10 inch tablet or 15 inch laptop screen. I can't even see the pixels on my 27inch 2k screen. 4k still feels like overkill to me, I'm in no rush to get there. Like others have mention the HDR thing interests me much more than 4k.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3286 posts
218 upvotes
At under 6" the 4K provided a superior image qualitynext to a QHD display...at least I was able to discern the difference, not everyone has equal visual acuity (Z5 Premium vs Note5 )
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1349 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
The only requirements I see for the HDD is that it's usb 3.0 and up to 8 TB.

What's the optimal speed for the HDD to play games?

Any good deals out there on HDD optimized for this new support for the ps4?
Everyone's out to screw you over....now that's positive thinking! :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2274 posts
622 upvotes
Can we format a 2TB to ExFat from a windows PC? or is it something we let the PS4 do?
Jan 12, 2017
673 posts
92 upvotes
is the ps4 4.5update ready today for toronto location? or not yet? i just got a ps4 lol
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
[OP]
Nov 22, 2004
363 posts
204 upvotes
Yes, it's available now. Just tried it with my 2TB external HDD, works like a charm.
PSN: mwatcher
XBL: LionChi
Jan 12, 2017
673 posts
92 upvotes
say u have TWO psn IDs... ID1 buys one game street fighter...can ID2 still play street fighter as well? or only the ID that buys the game can play it on the same ps4
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel