Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

[PS4] The Order: 1886

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/b ... order-1886

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/43 ... -gameplay/

So GameInformer recently got some time with the studio who develops this game (Ready at Dawn), and they have a special report in their upcoming issue, in addition to the cover spot.

They seem pretty impressed, especially with the visuals (claiming it's the best looking console game they've ever seen so far). First gameplay screenshots have been released as well.

Some comments and quotes from the articles (I know a lot of you wont open the links most likely)

-As was readily apparent when the game was first announced at E3 2013, The Order: 1886 is beautiful. And Game Informer confirms that “the visuals on display in [the debut] trailer represent The Order’s in-game graphical quality.” Indeed, the technology behind the game and the game’s proprietary next-gen engine are quite impressive, as we noted when we saw the game behind-closed doors at Gamescom. Ready at Dawn showed the trailer again to GI, while adjusting camera angles and modifiying light sources on the fly to confirm it is in fa

-Ready at Dawn’s co-founder Ru Weerasuriya has gotten help in writing The Order: 1886 from screenwriter Kirk Ellis. Game Informer notes that the game’s plot revolves around “an unusual amalgam of history, fantasy, mythology, and science fiction.”

-The Order of the knights itself is created to buffer humanity from the threat posed by the "Half-Breeds", and humanity wages a losing war against these mysterious monsters until a liquid known as “Black Water” begins to give The Order an advantage. “By imbibing the strange liquid, the knights [of the Order] gain incredibly longer lives and equally impressive abilities to recover from injury. The knights continue to age, but at a dramatically slower rate, letting them wage war across centuries,” Game Informer explains.

-The Order: 1886 also touches into real history, and twists it a bit. The third character introduced is none other than Marquis de Lafayette, as in, the real Marquis de Lafayette, the man who proved vital in both the American Revolution and the French Revolution. He’s still alive and kicking as of 1886, as is Sebastian Malory, titled Sir Percival, who is a relative of Thomas Malory, the famed British author.

415 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4679 posts
589 upvotes
This game looks simply incredible. I'm a big fan of the way Gears of War plays and if they can create a similar style of gameplay in this time period with even a decent story then this game has some potential to be amazing.

Outside of maybe Titanfall this is easily my most antipated next-gen game but the more I hear about the more I like it.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2020 posts
190 upvotes
Ready at Dawn has turned out some really good PSP games in the past, so I'm actually looking forward to this. Only downside is that they're probably not working on anything for the PSV.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4679 posts
589 upvotes
Ascott wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 11:25 am
Ready at Dawn has turned out some really good PSP games in the past, so I'm actually looking forward to this. Only downside is that they're probably not working on anything for the PSV.
Remote play my freind!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2020 posts
190 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 11:28 am
Remote play my freind!
I can't imagine remote play is going to work well on an 10-hour intercontinental flight (My first experience with Ready at Dawn was Daxter, on a flight from Calgary to London).
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4576 posts
783 upvotes
Milton
TheBatManRising wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 11:32 am
Ahh, sounds like another Zombie game.... :facepalm:
where was that stated in the article? or are you trolling .... :facepalm:
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
spena wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 12:01 pm
where was that stated in the article? or are you trolling .... :facepalm:
"The story’s alternate history arc begins “around the seventh or eighth century,” Weerasuriya told Game Informer, as “humanity starts splitting” into two groups. A “genetically different” group called “Half-Breeds” begins to wage war against the rest of humanity, and this war rages right up into the late 19th century, when The Order: 1886 begins."

"The Order itself is created to buffer humanity from the threat posed by the Half-Breeds, and humanity wages a losing war against these mysterious monsters until a liquid known as “Black Water” begins to give The Order an advantage."

Sounds like Zombies.... :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4679 posts
589 upvotes
I don't think it sounds like zombies.

but whats wrong with zombies?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2895 posts
213 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 11:24 am
This game looks simply incredible. I'm a big fan of the way Gears of War plays and if they can create a similar style of gameplay in this time period with even a decent story then this game has some potential to be amazing.

Outside of maybe Titanfall this is easily my most antipated next-gen game but the more I hear about the more I like it.
+100000. For me personally, this is the only PS4 game right now that I am truly excited about, every since I saw the first trailer (granted it didn't show much). The whole time-period, environment, atmosphere, and mood of the game, amazing.

Maybe because I love Charles Dickens and Sherlock Holmes books, but this is an awesome time-period to have a game in, industrial century Britain. Seriously looking forward to this. Use of historical characters is also pretty exciting.

I actually know nothing about this developer, have they ever made a console game before? My only concern is if the game-play ends up being weak (obviously the visuals are amazing).
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Not a launch title. If this thing is as good as it sounds, I might grab a PS4 earlierer than I expected, when it's released. ;)
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16522 posts
329 upvotes
I dont get it, I have literally zero interest in this game. Something about it just seems boring as crap. I even like these kind of games. Bit odd... maybe when i see more.

It does look pretty though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 2:05 pm
I dont get it, I have literally zero interest in this game. Something about it just seems boring as crap. I even like these kind of games. Bit odd... maybe when i see more.

Well we don't know much about gameplay, that's a big question mark right now for sure.

You don't like the time-period the game takes place in? London 19th century, horse-drawn carriages? lol

Seems a bit refreshing, given the usual military or sci-fi theme we see all the time.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Setting kind of looks like a super-realistic looking Dishonored, minus the vomit-inducing bad graphics and art style of that game.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4679 posts
589 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 2:05 pm

I kind of get that vibe from Infamous:SS. This game looks like it has some great personality and style.

I think it's made by Sony Santa Monico I belieive. They made God of War on Vita which was supposedly pretty good but haven't put out a console game yet.

I wonder when the release date for this game will be? It doesn't seem as far along as some of these Q1-Q2 release games like Infamous or Titanfall. If I had to guess I would say next Summer sometime.