Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26677 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
ReeGee wrote:
May 17th, 2017 10:40 am
OK the opening couple hours were the worst but the over the top weapons you get later on are starting to make it somewhat interesting. It just sucks that you can only carry one primary weapon and it seems like every time I start enjoying one, it gets swapped out for another. I would still kill for a motion blur toggle and I still can't comprehend why the visuals looks so washed out and like the screen is smeared with Vaseline

no doubt. I can't stop playing that game smh
Once you join the master race, you can't live the life of a peasant anymore.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
246 upvotes
i enjoyed it for the most part...esp for $5
the graphics looked good, but it was my first 'real' current-gen console game (played strider and last guardian prior to it...last gen garbage from a technical standpoint). Too bad no PS4P enhancement for this title
the half-beasts were stupid...I'm just glad you didn't have to fight vampires
the length was perfect for me...i can't stand games that are over 15 hours haha
motion blur was fine, i adjust my expectations for 3rd person games on a controller
i actually like the letter box ...i think it's neat when studios attempt Victorian era games...the atmosphere was better done than Dishonored
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Finished this last night and while it had some decent moments this game is probably the clearest case of a rushed out before it was ready release I've ever played. There was potential here but it was brought down by some really bizarre design choices and was obviously duct taped together to meet a release date.

The good - great sound design, visceral shootouts, nice animation and voice acting, some nice looking environments
The bad - Inconsistent visual design, poor use of post FX, black bars (WTF?), boring story, no likable characters, abrupt start/end of chapters, very small arsenal, checklist gameplay design (insert stealth section here), awful ratio of gameplay to cutscenes.

I'm not even sure what I'd rate this. 5/10 I guess? It's weird because there was potential for a great game here, but it needed at least another year in development
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4666 posts
799 upvotes
Milton
ReeGee wrote:
May 29th, 2017 12:14 pm
Finished this last night and while it had some decent moments this game is probably the clearest case of a rushed out before it was ready release I've ever played. There was potential here but it was brought down by some really bizarre design choices and was obviously duct taped together to meet a release date.

The good - great sound design, visceral shootouts, nice animation and voice acting, some nice looking environments
The bad - Inconsistent visual design, poor use of post FX, black bars (WTF?), boring story, no likable characters, abrupt start/end of chapters, very small arsenal, checklist gameplay design (insert stealth section here), awful ratio of gameplay to cutscenes.

I'm not even sure what I'd rate this. 5/10 I guess? It's weird because there was potential for a great game here, but it needed at least another year in development
still waiting when this game becomes free for psn plus
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
spena wrote:
May 30th, 2017 1:00 pm
still waiting when this game becomes free for psn plus
I don't have PS+ so I paid the $4 for it in the last sale. It's not a great game but I felt like it was worth playing just to experience how a big budget platform exclusive went so wrong.
May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 5:47 am
Ready at Dawn has to make Indie games now because nobody wanted to fund their next game after The Order 1886.
Their work they are credited for before The Order 1886 was just acting as a 3rd party that does coding or port conversions for other companies (instead of making games themselves):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_at_Dawn

Comparing Ready at Dawn to Naughty Dog is not a fair comparison.
ND is probably the top game developer right now or at least in the top 3 most talented game developers.
There is a big gap in talent between the two.

The Order 1886 looks good in motion, but the image clarity looks worse because of motion blur and it is running at 900p resolution with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.
Overall it is about a 6/10 game at best. Some parts are slower than others.

You might want to avoid Killzone Shadowfall (it is a First Person Shooter, not 3rd person) because it is also a game that looks good graphically but has poor level
design in some stages which drags the whole game down.

Just platinumed The Order 1886. I enjoyed it for what it was. Took about two days. Refreshing to play a nice short game for change. The game would probably have benefited from removing the film grain and black letterbox. Hard to complain for the price and considering it was one of the first PS4 exclusives to come out. However Ryse: Son of Rome was a much better game both graphically and gameplay wise and that came out full year before on the much weaker xbox one.

The game was not terrible and deserves at least a sequel. I liked the Victorian setting and the lycan, vampire and Knights of the Round Table mythology. I don't understand why Ready at Dawn is getting such bad press. The game was polished which is more than I can say about most games these days and they made the two God of War games for the PSP which I enjoyed as well. Look at Guerilla Games, they were allowed to make 5 Killzone games before hitting it out of the park with HZD and pretty much all of the Killzone games have been flops.

Ready at Dawn recently released an indie online brawler game called Deformers and one of the modes is a Rocket League clone lmao.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5852 posts
1229 upvotes
Actually, the Killzone games sold well that is why their sequels were greenlit despite being very overrated IMO.
The Killzone titles outsell some of Sony's other game franchises such as Ratchet and Clank, and InFamous.

For critic reviews:
Killzone 2 averaged a 91. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killzone-2
Killzone 3 an 84.
Killzone Shadowfall a 73.

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
246 upvotes
killzone 2 a flop?

it was an absolute powerhouse for its time in the graphics dept and was one of the fastest selling games for Sony.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 9, 2007
771 posts
195 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:14 am
killzone 2 a flop?

it was an absolute powerhouse for its time in the graphics dept and was one of the fastest selling games for Sony.
The Order 1886 was also a graphical powerhouse at the time and Killzone was supposed to be a Halo killer but that never happened. The game was not the best I ever played nor the worst but from a technical stand point it was pretty impressive what Ready at Dawn was able to accomplish for a brand new IP and brand new engine which they built in house with only 100 person staff. Many AAA studios have easily 4x as many people. According to VGChartz The Order 1886 sold nearly 2 Million copies. Killzone 1 didn't even break 1 million, neither did the much beloved Persona 5 or the Dead Space series which is probably why we will never see another sequel. The point being that games with much less sales have seen sequels.

Where it can be argued is that it wasn't reviewed very favorably. I suspect that Metacrititc scores hold more weight than we imagine, In fact I know for a fact that Devs get bonuses for achieving higher metacritic scores.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5076 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 5:55 am
Where it can be argued is that it wasn't reviewed very favorably. I suspect that Metacrititc scores hold more weight than we imagine, In fact I know for a fact that Devs get bonuses for achieving higher metacritic scores.
Ugh Metacritic is like cancer for the gaming industry. There are way too many examples of bad overrated games and good underrated games and I cringe at the thought of people using this website as a guideline for what games to buy. It's especially worthless for people who don't buy games on launch day rather wait for patched, complete or "GOTY" editions at deep discounts.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
246 upvotes
that's me exactly

my game purchase process

Metacritic that can't even crack a 70..forget it

if 75+:

will I play it within the next 12 months?

nope..wait for GOTY edition/deep discount on Steam
yes..go look up HLTB...over 15 hours...forget it...wait for GOTY/deep discount

I'm also way more open to try new IP instead of sequels unless it's something I really enjoyed.

When there's handful of worthy games coming out every month and you only have few hours a week to spare...this is the unfortunate process.
Russell wrote: