PC & Video Games

PS4 Pro could be faster than Xbox One X?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 3:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5455 posts
2501 upvotes

PS4 Pro could be faster than Xbox One X?

"The Rapid Packed Math technology is essentially hyper-threading for GPUs. In some cases, RPM could double PS4 Pro's performance, overtaking the Xbox One X. Apparently, the Xbox One X does not support the RPM feature."

"In some scenarios, depending on how well the games are optimized, the PS4 Pro could effectively double its performance, from 4.2 to 8.4 teraflops, overtaking the Xbox One X, which is capable of only 6 teraflops and does not support RPM. Horbury cautioned that the performance gains wouldn’t exactly be doubled and this will only happen then 32-bit precision is not required, thus reducing overall fidelity."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PS4-Pro-c ... 410.0.html
16 replies
Aug 20, 2009
6933 posts
1615 upvotes
Grimsby
I mean that's a cool bonus if true but I wonder, do people really care about performance at this stage of the console wars? I think consumer sentiment shifted on that awhile ago, we're into exclusives again. At the early stages where we had no games it was fun to dissect the differences but optimization has made big differences rare. I don't even care about the performance crown anymore, I just want games. Sony and Nintendo are delivering them, Microsoft isn't. That's why I don't spend much time on that platform anymore and why I won't be picking up an X. I don't do much online gaming and the few people I game with on consoles have PS4s now instead of Xbox like last gen.
Feb 12, 2009
21 posts
Toronto
It's not, it's unlikely to ever be. Rapid packed math enables you to fit 2x16bit values into a 32bit register and perform the same function on both, that's fine and dandy provided you aren't bottlenecked elsewhere in the system.

In general, graphics guys, will generalize the performance of a video card based upon it's TFLOP performance, ti's a simple way to compare numbers. However, this generalization takes into account that the rest of the card is strengthened to support the TFLOP performance as well, looking at cache sizes, registers, ROPs, etc all these additional features have been beefed up to support the larger pipeline. This is not all that different from having a car with a huge HP engine, and requiring the additional airflow and exhaust for everything to run smoothly throughout.

The Xbox One X is designed around it's performance profile of 6TF, the 4Pro is designed around 4.2 not 8.4. It will have some minor gains from RPM, but will hit bottlenecks elsewhere. Perhaps and only perhaps in a completely fabricated demo could one push the 4Pro to 8.4TFlops of performance (one win which the system is just reading and writing values back to cache), much like the fur mark demos. But I don't see it ever coming close to the performance of a One X. The lack of bandwidth is going to be the largest culprit among other things. But it really comes down to how both systems gained their power. 4Pro went wide, which is a traditional way to gain power, however that introduces bottlenecks in places that aren't as wide (and this is where bandwidth becomes an issue for it). Xbox One X pushed for clock speed, which speeds up the entire pipeline, and they pushed for more bandwidth and memory space.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3221 posts
488 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Redmask wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:20 am
I mean that's a cool bonus if true but I wonder, do people really care about performance at this stage of the console wars? I think consumer sentiment shifted on that awhile ago, we're into exclusives again. At the early stages where we had no games it was fun to dissect the differences but optimization has made big differences rare. I don't even care about the performance crown anymore, I just want games. Sony and Nintendo are delivering them, Microsoft isn't. That's why I don't spend much time on that platform anymore and why I won't be picking up an X. I don't do much online gaming and the few people I game with on consoles have PS4s now instead of Xbox like last gen.
100% this. Though I am HEAVILY invested in XBOX ONE at this point and even though they have Spotify now, I am still considering jumping over once my already failing any day now ONE bites the dust. The ONLY way I could see myself staying with Xbox is if Microsoft has a wicked trade in deal when X is released and my console is still running.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8375 posts
1101 upvotes
Victoria
Redmask wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:20 am
I'm the same way. I was an XBox person. I had the original xbox and the 360. I bought the ps3 as a bluray player. The last few years of the ps3's life, sony kept pumping out really good exclusives, and I shifted from using my 360 to the ps3. That naturally transitioned me to the ps4. Microsoft seems superfocused on the 3rd person shooters/online multiplayers. At least Sony still makes 3rd person action/adventure/rpg games. I have no problem owning multiple consoles if the games are there, but Microsoft doesn't make any that I want to play.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6246 posts
1763 upvotes
I keep seeing all this talk about how great the PS4 Pro is but ... I seriously find PS4 Slim on my regular 1080P plasma still looks amazing. I'm sure Pro on 4K looks even better but I don't see the need to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1781 posts
220 upvotes
North York
Redmask wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:31 am
One thing I really like about the Slim is how quiet it is. Running Horizon full tilt for like 3 hours and you can't even hear it. Sony's hardware engineers are amazing.
Are you running digital or disc? My slim still gets a little noisy when playing from disc but silent when digital.

Not sure why it needs to periodically read from the disc and thus the fans go a little crazy. I thought it read from the disc only at the beginning to authenticate you own the game.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1568 posts
1002 upvotes
Windsor
Not gonna happens. Games do FP32 most of the time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5097 posts
775 upvotes
calgary
This reminds me of the ES-RAM on the OG XB1 that people latched onto.

In very specific situations and only where a game is optimized to take advantage of FP16 will it make any sort of difference and I imagine those situations will be far and few between.

spawn582 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 3:11 pm
Are you running digital or disc? My slim still gets a little noisy when playing from disc but silent when digital.

Not sure why it needs to periodically read from the disc and thus the fans go a little crazy. I thought it read from the disc only at the beginning to authenticate you own the game.
Im guessing thats probably your hard drive, games get installed from the disc and are played off the hard drive, the disc is only for verification.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9339 posts
2712 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am opposite from some of you. Had 360, then got ps3 after multiple 360 hardware failures. Loved the software and games, but 360 was not reliable at all at the time, replaced 4 times under warranty. Rock solid performance from ps3 launch unit. Traded for ps4, still have it. However, it mostly collecting dust while I play on xbone. I like 360 compatibility and controller much better than ps4. Xbone just appeals to me more. I don't like that Xbox store charges tax, as opposed to Sony. Though, I'll pay that premium to game on my preferred platform. Next step will probably be new Xbox, when its time to upgrade, I don't feel like continuing with Sony.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1781 posts
220 upvotes
North York
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 5:55 pm
Im guessing thats probably your hard drive, games get installed from the disc and are played off the hard drive, the disc is only for verification.
I know. I'm trying to say there should be no more disc access after the initial verification but it still does it.

Like in Persona 5, the cinematics were skipping cause it seemed it was reading from the disc vs the hard drive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5097 posts
775 upvotes
calgary
spawn582 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:35 am
I know. I'm trying to say there should be no more disc access after the initial verification but it still does it.

Like in Persona 5, the cinematics were skipping cause it seemed it was reading from the disc vs the hard drive.
I don't think its your disc drive, its most likely your hard drive. I had the same issue with my launch Xbox one, everyone said those things were whisper quiet but every so often (typically it would coincide with the launch of the game) it would sound like it was getting ready for take off for about 10 seconds or so and then it would go away. When I finally got an external and started playing games off of that the sound went away completely.

If your talking about the PS4 (which it sounds like you are since you mentioned persona), those things are just loud when playing certain games, but I think that is the internal fan's/cooling system and not the disc or hard drive. People have actually disassembled those and applied some thermal paste to prevent the fans from going into overdrive because as it stands its a bit annoying.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1781 posts
220 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the insight. I'll keep an eye on it and call Sony if it gets worse since it's still under warranty.