PC & Video Games

PS4 & Xbox One 'Trade-Up' Program

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2013 10:42 am
Aug 21, 2011
442 posts
238 upvotes

PS4 & Xbox One 'Trade-Up' Program

There have been lot's of talk of these upgrade programs which will allow gamers to play the latest games without holding out until the next generation of consoles drop. Below are a list of participating retailers as well as information for upgrading through PSN.

On the PS3/PS4, with specially marked games you will be able to do a digital upgrade. By putting the PS3 disc in the PS4, you will be able to download a digital version of the game for only $10.00 The only downside to this is that you will have to have the PS3 version of the game in your console while you are playing the digital version of the PS4 game. An upside of this is that every PS4 will come with a $10 voucher which will let you essentially upgrade one of your games for free. Supported games: BF4, AC4, CoD:G. Click for more details

Discount: If you sign up for their new EDGE rewards card(not to be confused with their old EDGE card), You can get an extra 5% towards trade-ins. It's free to sign up and it takes about three minutes at the register. After this discount, you will be effectively upgrading for $8.00/per game

Confirmed:
EB Games[Expires: 12/31/13)]
conditions: It appears they will let you upgrade for $9.99***. There is no information on whether the current-gen version has to be purchased from their store. Also no mention(as far as I can see) of proof of purchase being required. It seems like the game can be open. It seems like people have been having luck upgrading their games albeit with some discrepancies from the actual promotion(getting charged 15 instead of 10)(conditions apply)*
Best Buy (US?)
conditions: BestBuy.ca does seem to have a trade-up promotion with select games. Fifa 14, Madden 25 (conditions apply**)
Future Shop
conditions: Same as Best Buy, it seems they are doing the promotion with select games. Fifa 14, Madden 25(conditions apply**)

Unconfirmed:
Amazon (US?)
Microsoft Store (US?)

No information:
Walmart

*At EB Games, you can only upgrade within the same brand/product line.(ie: Xbox360 CoD > XboxOne CoD)

**At Future Shop or Best Buy it seems that you can trade in an Xbox 360 version and upgrade to the PS4 version as they give you a credit towards the next-gen version of the game.(Unconfirmed)

***Eligible games include Call of Duty: Ghosts, FIFA Soccer 14, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs?(delayed)
24 replies
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
50 upvotes
Can I go from 360 cod to ps4?
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
Rawker wrote: Can I go from 360 cod to ps4?
no at ebgames...fs doesn't do COD "trade up"

but u can go from madden 25 360 to ps4 at futureshop
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2968 posts
685 upvotes
Great idea OP, was thinking about doing the same thing. I was under the impression you could upgrade BF/COD at Futureshop.. guess not. Guess I'll have to try EBGames.
Aug 21, 2011
442 posts
238 upvotes
Yeah, as far as I know EB Games will only let you upgrade to the same product line. I thought Future Shop/Best Buy were doing the trade-up promotion too but it seems like they have limited to select sports titles.
Oct 24, 2010
482 posts
330 upvotes
Surrey, BC
I traded a xbox version to PS4 version at EBgame XD
Jan 5, 2008
181 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton, ON
chan1600 wrote: I traded a xbox version to PS4 version at EBgame XD
Which EB did you go to? The one I tried said no to 360 to PS4.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
2397 posts
2724 upvotes
Does the game have to be sealed for eb to let you upgrade?
Oct 19, 2012
942 posts
96 upvotes
Brampton
fluidmax wrote: Does the game have to be sealed for eb to let you upgrade?
No, that wouldn't make sense. It can be sealed but it doesn't matter.
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
fluidmax wrote: Does the game have to be sealed for eb to let you upgrade?
ofcourse not lol

whats the point then?lol
Jul 15, 2009
619 posts
158 upvotes
Are the xbox one games (AC4, BF4, and COD:G) out yet and available for the trade program?
Aug 21, 2011
442 posts
238 upvotes
The deal is live starting today for Xbox One titles. Not all Xbox One games have been released, I was able to trade in two games. (BF4/CoD:G)

If you sign up for their rewards card, you will get an extra 5% for your trade-ins. After discount, was able to upgrade for 8$/game
Mar 7, 2011
2 posts
Sainte-Thérèse
Yesterday I went to my local Future Shop and Best Buy. Both stores refused to acknowledge the existence of this "trade-in current-gen toward next-gen" program. I was mad as hell. They would only give me 15$ for BF4 (360).

Any of you have seen an official posting/page by Future shop or Best Buy for BF4? I'm glad I found the Fifa and Madden page posted by OP, but having a Battlefield 4 official mention somewhere would be quite helpful to me.
Aug 21, 2011
442 posts
238 upvotes
3ti3nn3 wrote: Yesterday I went to my local Future Shop and Best Buy. Both stores refused to acknowledge the existence of this "trade-in current-gen toward next-gen" program. I was mad as hell. They would only give me 15$ for BF4 (360).

Any of you have seen an official posting/page by Future shop or Best Buy for BF4? I'm glad I found the Fifa and Madden page posted by OP, but having a Battlefield 4 official mention somewhere would be quite helpful to me.
I think they're only doing it with Sports games. Only their US stores are doing the other games.
May 5, 2006
820 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
I also went to Ebgames yesterday and was able to trade PS3 AC4 to Xbox One AC4.

This was at the Bayview/Major Mac location.
Feb 18, 2013
137 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
Do FS and BB need the receipt for the trade-up? Thx
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the promo at EB was supposed to run until the end of December. Did they change it? I can't even find the promo in their site anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
I called an EB last night and was told the promo was over. I went to Best Buy this morning to grab a couple of things and brought the game with me just in case. I tried but Customer Service told me that yesterday was the last day for the promo. Sounded like BS but they tried to cover saying the new flyer came out today even though it had nothing to do with the flyer.

I went to EB a few feet away to pick something up and tried it, just said I wanted to do the upgrade promo. The guy processed it for $10 no problem at all, no mention of the promo expiring or anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
3108 posts
690 upvotes
Ottawa
kindred_99 wrote: I called an EB last night and was told the promo was over. I went to Best Buy this morning to grab a couple of things and brought the game with me just in case. I tried but Customer Service told me that yesterday was the last day for the promo. Sounded like BS but they tried to cover saying the new flyer came out today even though it had nothing to do with the flyer.

I went to EB a few feet away to pick something up and tried it, just said I wanted to do the upgrade promo. The guy processed it for $10 no problem at all, no mention of the promo expiring or anything.
seriously? was at an EB today, asked, guy said he thought it was over. I asked him to try, said it didn't work.

Now it appears I'm stuck with a 360 COD!
Pepsi WEH Winner - 4 for 5
Didn't win a Xbox X.. but next best thing. Scored at the Brick for $249! $300 off!!!