• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2017 1:04 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
712 posts
376 upvotes

PS5 Release date?

So, Sony announced that a PS5 will be released, but no actual release date given. PS4 Pro was released in fall of 2016. I was hoping to get some mileage out of my PS4 Pro for maybe another 3-4 years, before upgrading.

What do you folks think? Too soon for Sony to release PS5? Just the right time? Or not soon enough? Will you buy one? Personally, I'm still making my way through my PS3 backlog.
29 replies
Dec 22, 2011
307 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville
I say 2020 at the earliest,they're still making tons of money off ps4.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11833 posts
2614 upvotes
Montreal
I just hope Sony doesn't go all "crazy walled garden" again, and follows Microsoft's lead and allows full BC with existing PS4 games - the consoles are all PC-based now so there is zero excuse not to, other than scamming customers into rebuying old games.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1683 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
This question pops up occasionally on these forums. It is important to remember that the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation lifespan was uniquely long. The recession and the rise of mobile gaming caused the delay of the Xbox One and PS4.

Historically, new gaming consoles releases every five years. Even if the PS5 releases in next fall, it wouldn't be a big deal. Sony will still support the PS4/PS4 Pro. God of War 2 released on the PS2 after the PS3 was out. Gran Turismo 6, South Park: Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 and others launched on PS3 and not the PS4, even after the latter was out in market.

If I were to take a guess, I would say the PS5 releases in Fall 2019. Also, I think there will be one more PS4 redesign - a PS4 Pro "slim".
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6047 posts
1320 upvotes
XBox One X pre-order numbers are very positive. It is a sign that people want new, more powerful hardware.
https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/25/xbox-o ... ling-xbox/

I pre-ordered a Scorpio Edition mainly for the 4K Blu-Ray player (PS4 did not include one), and not really for XBox's exclusive games lineup.

I think 2018 or 2019 would be a good time to release a PS5 because that would be 5 and 6 years after the launch of the PS4. Which is usually how long
console cycles are supposed to last. Last gen dragged on far too long.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7504 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
It's only been 1 year since the pro came out, so a ps5 coming out next year (2018) would seem a little quick. I acknowledge that the last gen was uniquely long.... but given we got mid-generation upgrades, is there a real need to rush in the next generation now?

I guess the issue might be the xbox one x. It seems pretty powerful. Almost a backdoor next gen console. It might cause Sony to escalate the next gen to make it look bad :)

Personally I think 2019 or 2020 would be a good time to do it. 2018 seems to short for me. That was what..2 years for the ps4, 2 years for the pro?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3748 posts
339 upvotes
2018 Sony is releasing the PS4 S and S plus version which will have a better camera and come in two colors.

2019 Sony will release PS4 SE aka old PS4 and special edition PS4 with more GBs in gold color.

2020 PS5 will be released and will be deep discounts up to $20 off the old PS4 SE edition.

(Yes I am bored)
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Dec 16, 2015
723 posts
324 upvotes
Canada
If sony is smart, just drag the ps4 generation for 10 years and continue growing the userbase and milking it

Then it will still be the best place to play simply due to the sheer numbers of userbase for multiplayers
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
2019 seems possible but 2020 seems realistic...esp as that's when Japan wants to push 8K broadcast so you bet Sony will want a way to say their console supports it much like how the PS4 supports 4K in 2013 but it was half-baked at best
last gen's 'uniquely' long lifeline won't seem that long now that mid-gen refreshes are an option
honestly there still haven't been that many must-plays 4 years in...unless they announce a bunch of killer apps next year for 2019/2020...could be safe to say that you aren't missing out too much if you skip this gen completely...
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11833 posts
2614 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:05 pm
XBox One X pre-order numbers are very positive. It is a sign that people want new, more powerful hardware.
... that runs all their existing Xbox One and Xbox 360 BC game software.

if Sony goes all "walled garden" and makes up all kinds of excuses why their "new PC-based console" can't run games from their "old PC-based console", then don't expect such a warm welcome and I would think 20X before buying into a PS5 at release.

personally, I have no problem upgrading console hardware on a regular basis if it fits the PC gaming model, i.e. my Steam library doesn't get tossed in the garbage every generation just to resell "new" versions of existing games.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11833 posts
2614 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 2:13 am
honestly there still haven't been that many must-plays 4 years in...unless they announce a bunch of killer apps next year for 2019/2020...could be safe to say that you aren't missing out too much if you skip this gen completely...
Now that I think about it, I'm in the same boat and the games I continually go back to play/replay on PS4/Xbox One are actually *all* last-gen games like Diablo 3 (basically the reason I own consoles right now), GTA V, FarCry 4, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Mordor, the Borderlands games, and a few others. If Blizzard had upgraded the last-gen editions of D3, I would really start questioning the value of this console gen.
Jan 28, 2014
423 posts
98 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:30 am
Now that I think about it, I'm in the same boat and the games I continually go back to play/replay on PS4/Xbox One are actually *all* last-gen games like Diablo 3 (basically the reason I own consoles right now), GTA V, FarCry 4, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Mordor, the Borderlands games, and a few others. If Blizzard had upgraded the last-gen editions of D3, I would really start questioning the value of this console gen.
Same here I owned a ps4 at launch and returned it because the games were just rehashed garbage from ps3

I went to PC now and haven't looked back.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6031 posts
814 upvotes
Grimsby
To contrast, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my PS4. I don't mind remasters as long they aren't low effort and I've had plenty of exclusives and third party stuff to keep me going. I feel like its best years are to come even. I am really into Japanese games too which helps.

I'm actually not a fan of mid cycle upgrades as they should be cheaper IMO but I don't mind having the option at least.

I'm in no rush for a PS5 until games start exhibiting major performance problems like they did at the tail end of last gen.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11077 posts
1158 upvotes
London
I believe they will give a tease next summer
Unveil it around E3 2019 launch it in 2020
Jan 29, 2013
658 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:30 am
I don't replay old games and I've gotten tons of usage of my PS4. I've played a great deal of titles that were PS4.