Personal Finance

PSA: AB/SK/MB/ON residents, get your carbon tax rebate.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2020 10:35 pm
Tags:
May 31, 2018
380 posts
633 upvotes
Saskatchewan
TrevorK wrote: { sigh }

Do you forget what you wrote about our carbon tax and our government controlling the climate of the planet?

Our emissions are extremely low on a volume basis:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/all-th ... one-chart/

1.6% of worldwide emissions.

Our goal of reducing emissions is to be responsible and do better. We cannot control the climate of the globe and we cannot pretend to. We need to be responsible with what we have.
So the carbon tax really has nothing to do with the Paris Agreement, the stated intent of which was to combat Climate Change? And Climate Change wasn’t a huge part of the last federal election, with the Liberals, Green Party and NDP all promising to do much more in the way of reducing emissions in the name of climate action by way of carbon taxation?

You are so far off base you’re not even in the same area code of the stadium.
Jan 15, 2009
362 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
So is this applicable to "small and rural communities" only? What if if you live in the GTA?
Jul 6, 2017
138 posts
86 upvotes
showmethemoney2009 wrote: So is this applicable to "small and rural communities" only? What if if you live in the GTA?
It's not just for small and rural communities; you just get more money out of it if you live in one.
May 5, 2006
643 posts
92 upvotes
Hm, a lot of unsourced opinion here.

I use wikipedia as a resource only because it's the generally accepted and not-very-contested conclusion that carbon taxes are effective and not harmful to the economy. It includes sources that can be followed up as desired:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax

I mean, you can deny climate change too, and probably less reputable sources that will contest the carbon tax will do that as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: So the carbon tax really has nothing to do with the Paris Agreement, the stated intent of which was to combat Climate Change? And Climate Change wasn’t a huge part of the last federal election, with the Liberals, Green Party and NDP all promising to do much more in the way of reducing emissions in the name of climate action by way of carbon taxation?

You are so far off base you’re not even in the same area code of the stadium.
None of what Canada achieves with a carbon tax will impact world emissions. Only a fool would think so.

Perhaps you should look at how countries are meeting their commitment to the Paris Agreement before spouting off about it:
https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/

The Paris Agreement is simply about a bunch of countries wanting to stand up and say "See we are going to do something". You'll notice from above most have not even come close, and if you recall the Paris Agreement had countries determining their own goals. Not exactly a recipe for success.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6913 posts
7295 upvotes
Vancouver
TrevorK wrote: None of what Canada achieves with a carbon tax will impact world emissions. Only a fool would think so.
Everyone has their price before they start cutting back. If people aren’t cutting back enough to make a difference, then obviously the tax isn’t high enough.
Nov 24, 2019
100 posts
139 upvotes
Saskatoon
Kiraly wrote: Everyone has their price before they start cutting back. If people aren’t cutting back enough to make a difference, then obviously the tax isn’t high enough.
Sure, how dare people continue to use their vehicles to drive to their job, or heat their homes because we live in a northern country. Let's jack the price until we either take away all enjoyments and put people out on the street. Yes, we decreased quality of life and created a bunch of new welfare recipients, but at least we "changed habits." Oh and you farmers? Time to stop running you tractors, and using propane to dry grain in a wet year like this. What do you mean there's no food left to eat?

Well, less people living is good for the environment I guess
May 31, 2018
380 posts
633 upvotes
Saskatchewan
randomthoughts wrote: <snip>
I mean, you can deny climate change too, and probably less reputable sources that will contest the carbon tax will do that as well.
Ha, I wondered how long it would take before someone threw out the "denier'. It was just a matter of time, because we all know if you're not with climate change, then you're against it.

I'm a climate change "embracer". I love it, and it simply can't change fast enough. Right now we're lucky if we can get 120 days between frosts on any given year, which really sucks and limits a lot of crops we can grow. If that could be stretched out to 130 or even 150 days we would be able to feed significantly more people every year while growing a greater variety of crops. And that is great for the environment in general as larger crop rotations can mean less reliance on pesticides and even fertilizers. It's a real win-win.

TrevorK wrote: None of what Canada achieves with a carbon tax will impact world emissions. Only a fool would think so.

Perhaps you should look at how countries are meeting their commitment to the Paris Agreement before spouting off about it:
https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/

The Paris Agreement is simply about a bunch of countries wanting to stand up and say "See we are going to do something". You'll notice from above most have not even come close, and if you recall the Paris Agreement had countries determining their own goals. Not exactly a recipe for success.
Well, now I have no idea what you're going on about. I agree that our government is full of fools, but you're maintaining that the carbon tax actually has nothing to do with what they said it was for during the last 2 elections, which was fight climate change? That makes the government liars too, which I also fully agree with.
May 31, 2018
380 posts
633 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Kiraly wrote: Everyone has their price before they start cutting back. If people aren’t cutting back enough to make a difference, then obviously the tax isn’t high enough.
So it's really nothing more than another sin tax like on cigarettes and alcohol then? If the taxes raise the price high enough then we'll see the error of our evil ways and wean ourselves off fossil fuels?

Interesting. Except for our desire to eat, not live in sod huts and stay warm through winter, I guess fossil fuels are just another vice we could do without.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
a) It's still not going to impact world emissions. Canada is such a minor player it's not going to cause an impact
b) The carbon tax is simply starting off low to acclimatize people to paying it and will increase over time to find the "cost" of it. I agree if the tax is small enough people do not care that's a problem. But it's a lot harder to start off with a very high tax.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: Well, now I have no idea what you're going on about. I agree that our government is full of fools, but you're maintaining that the carbon tax actually has nothing to do with what they said it was for during the last 2 elections, which was fight climate change? That makes the government liars too, which I also fully agree with.
You need to revisit your initial statement, that our own carbon tax would help us control the climate "of the planet". This is not the truth, Canada will not be able to ever have this type of global impact unless it uses it's dollars as a donation to infrastructure in the more heavily polluting countries.
May 31, 2018
380 posts
633 upvotes
Saskatchewan
TrevorK wrote: You need to revisit your initial statement, that our own carbon tax would help us control the climate "of the planet". This is not the truth, Canada will not be able to ever have this type of global impact unless it uses it's dollars as a donation to infrastructure in the more heavily polluting countries.
You fail at reading comprehension. Or understanding (the concept of) sarcasm. Or both.

In any case, you’re absolutely right. About everything.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
FarmerHarv wrote: You fail at reading comprehension. Or understanding (the concept of) sarcasm. Or both.

In any case, you’re absolutely right. About everything.
I'll take that as your way of letting me know you were wrong and will be going back to study a little harder on the topic next time before posting. It was nice helping you out!

Edit: @FarmerHarv I appreciate your private message but perhaps keep your emotional outburst to yourself or medical professionals in the future.