PSA: All NCIX stores in Ontario closing

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 4:54 pm
Aug 28, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
Maplicito wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 10:50 am
It's too bad - they used to be my go to vendor. My last order, I had to cancel - they claimed that the manufacturer was no longer shipping the item in question, but my assumption now is, while that could be true, that they just aren't shipping to NCIX. While it doesn't have to mean anything, I bought the same item off Amazon later that week.
It means something.
Jan 16, 2009
138 posts
62 upvotes
Lethbridge
Freeatlast wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 1:50 pm
It means something.
Amazon has plenty of items that you can't buy new at any of the regular vendors - but yes, my assumption is that I was lied to, and that it's only NCIX that no longer is being sent the item.
Apr 4, 2009
594 posts
73 upvotes
Freeatlast wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 3:57 pm
Yep. They have singled handedly destroyed their social media presence, which is a terrible PR move given current circumstances. They hired Esther back to shore up that front but she is refusing to appear on camera.

Boom goes the dynamite

Noticed PCParker no longer lists NCIX/Direct Canada anymore either and based off /u/pcpartpicker, they've been removed due to user feedback.

They chose their userbase over $$$ off referral links.....
Aug 28, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
kitchensink wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 9:43 am
Boom goes the dynamite

Noticed PCParker no longer lists NCIX/Direct Canada anymore either and based off /u/pcpartpicker, they've been removed due to user feedback.

They chose their userbase over $$$ off referral links.....
Entirely predictable. I would imagine the non-compete has him still doing the odd contracted piece of video.

PCPP turning down money to disassociate themselves with a retailer who could tarnish their reputation speaks volumes, primarily about their (PCPP) integrity and how bad things are (NCIX).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1352 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto, ON
From the latest reddit update, this place seems to be imploding on its own. If all the allegations are true based on the post, NCIX is indeed very lucky to have avoided any costly lawsuits - https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... /?sort=new
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I miss the $10 32GB microSD cards. Damn, I should have bought more when I had the chance.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21650 posts
2407 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 6:58 pm
He sounds like a doofus.
LOL they were all doofuses to some degree--I thought that was the point, making silly yet informative tech videos. Linus had a very keen business sense and a mind to profitise/monetise YouTube content, which is how he became so successful on his own. That's basically the way things have always been--the people that make money in businesses typically are not geniuses or even experts on what their business does, they're just very good at making money, getting the right people (who often can be geniuses) to work for them, and making it all work. Sometimes you have a combination of both and sometimes you actually have someone that knows nothing about the businesses products, yet is still successful in making money out of it.

Of course businesses also don't last forever and it doesn't mean business ppl don't make poor decisions--when it comes to NCIX this is a very same example. Just because they make money at one point doesn't mean they will forever. NCIX certainly had its heyday, but then so did Sears, Toys 'R Us, Zellers, and the list goes on.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3187 posts
758 upvotes
This is sad indeed. Another decent sized Canadian retailer not doing well. There will always be horror stories with most companies who have disgruntled employees. Hope NCIX can turn things around and stay profitable with the remaining stores. Hate to see hard working staff lose their jobs in any industry.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1472 posts
446 upvotes
bowmah wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 4:07 pm
This is sad indeed. Another decent sized Canadian retailer not doing well. There will always be horror stories with most companies who have disgruntled employees. Hope NCIX can turn things around and stay profitable with the remaining stores. Hate to see hard working staff lose their jobs in any industry.
They're not coming back from this. They burnt too many bridges with suppliers and the industry people, including former employees. Any supplier who had trouble getting money from them will not want to do business with them again with any reasonable credit terms. Ever wonder why ncix was giving away gift cards like it was xmas every day for a month? Chances of using it is slim.

I see ncix going back to 1 store in BC or the owner just selling the business and exiting completely. This is a business death spiral by the looks of it. The B2B part of the company is the meat of the business, and they're screwing that up too. Big suppliers wont deal with them. Customers are defecting. Former employees want nothing to do with them, and ncix has a bad rep now. Only way to salvage the business is with a publicized change of ownership and management team with a huge injection of capital.
Aug 28, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 4:12 pm
They're not coming back from this. They burnt too many bridges with suppliers and the industry people, including former employees. Any supplier who had trouble getting money from them will not want to do business with them again with any reasonable credit terms. Ever wonder why ncix was giving away gift cards like it was xmas every day for a month? Chances of using it is slim.

I see ncix going back to 1 store in BC or the owner just selling the business and exiting completely. This is a business death spiral by the looks of it. The B2B part of the company is the meat of the business, and they're screwing that up too. Big suppliers wont deal with them. Customers are defecting. Former employees want nothing to do with them, and ncix has a bad rep now. Only way to salvage the business is with a publicized change of ownership and management team with a huge injection of capital.
I would agree that the chances of coming back are extremely remote without a wholesale change in ownership and management. The only way I could see that happening is with a buy out, but there is nothing of value there. No IP, no real assets (every owned asset seems to be for sale) other than inventory which isn't going up in value. Even the social media channel which has reach has been ruined by association with the company.

There are ways to conduct business during a restructuring that maintain relationships with the vendor community despite difficult circumstances, but that clearly hasn't happened given the number of vendors that have cut ties or have refused to continue extending credit without being paid. Past business relationships are coming back to haunt them as well. For years NCIX tried to bypass the subdistributors and distributors in the country and push for direct relationships to gain a price advantage. When business is running smoothly that sort of thing can be worked through as at the end of the day everyone has numbers to hit and there is still business that can be done as not every vendor sells directly or has stock all the time. When business goes south like it has now, those parties have no incentive to throw out a life preserver. Managing your reputation is one thing, but managing your creditworthiness and business integrity is critical. By now they will likely have set off alarm bells with credit insurers, which effects all current and future credit lines those insurers handle. Those who haven't been paid will likely not extend credit in the future without credit insurance on the line or drastically reduced terms. If you have to start borrowing at interest, you are going to end up making nothing in this industry. That is where your death spiral kicks in.

BC stores will follow the fate of the Ontario stores soon enough. They already tried to start the process with Surrey as documented here, but if they can't even afford the lease exit penalties that doesn't bode well. The B2B department will have been impacted severely by the credit holds. You only have to look at key categories like OS, CPUs, Hard Drives, Memory, etc to see how many key revenue products are not in stock which highlights how bad their situation is with the tier one distributors in the country. There isn't a single unit of WIndows 10 in stock other than the French versions. You'll also note they are misleadingly labeling the OEM english skus as being "in stock" on the product category/search pages, yet when you click on the product you'll see they have no stock and they are only available for drop ship (with the same distributors who aren't shipping them hard drives, memory, cpus, etc. You only have to look at the recent changes in hiding inventory numbers and this sort of misleading availability to see how hard they are trying to hide their vendor issues from customers. If you can't stock the essentials, you are already dead.
Aug 28, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
traderjay wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:21 am
From the latest reddit update, this place seems to be imploding on its own. If all the allegations are true based on the post, NCIX is indeed very lucky to have avoided any costly lawsuits - https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanad ... /?sort=new
NCIX uses the lay you off so you can collect EI along with forcing employees to sign agreements prior to disbursement of final wages owed to avoid this.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20828 posts
2013 upvotes
Freeatlast wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 6:21 pm
NCIX uses the lay you off so you can collect EI along with forcing employees to sign agreements prior to disbursement of final wages owed to avoid this.
Steve is SCREWED

RIP
Aug 28, 2017
157 posts
33 upvotes
george__ wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 7:46 pm
Steve is SCREWED

RIP
There is always the NCIX.CN and NCIX.TW domains to make use of.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1472 posts
446 upvotes
has Linus publically talked about the state NCIX recently?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)