• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2017 9:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1042 posts
171 upvotes

PSA: All NCIX stores in Ontario closing. Update: NCIX has filed for bankruptcy

Just went to my local NCIX (Toronto, Yonge St.) and was surprised to learn that they're closing. What's more, the guy said they're closing all physical stores in Ontario. He said that he only found out about it this morning, and they've got to get out of the building immediately (next few days). Seems very odd that management would give them no warning then tell all the employees to pack up and that they're out of a job immediately.

Shame, as I've generally preferred them to Canada Computers (who I still love) because they've had prices that were a bit better.
1132 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2662 posts
240 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Canada Computers will probably follow suit soon... it's not like their retail stores offer much value.

Now the issue will be how to return items.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1042 posts
171 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 9:58 pm
Canada Computers will probably follow suit soon... it's not like their retail stores offer much value.

Now the issue will be how to return items.
Really, you think? I'm under the impression they're doing very well - they've got several locations throughout the GTA and if not for the odd NCIX sale (like the 3TB Toshibas for $100 I was getting) I'd be shopping there exclusively.

As for returns, the site is still up and the company's not going anywhere, just closing brick and mortar locations in Ont. Probably more annoying now, but shouldn't be a huge issue.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2662 posts
240 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I don't think NCIX closed their physical locations because they're losing money. I think they did it because they realized that their retail stores don't generate any value.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1687 posts
500 upvotes
they'll probably be forced to reopen 2 locations later on once they realize sales is dropping.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3158 posts
553 upvotes
GTA
Weird. Has the First Markham Place location been closed for a while or something? I passed by there the other day. I didn't bother checking to see if it was open or not but I didn't immediately notice any indications it was shut down.

Oh well. That's too bad. I preferred NCIX as well and I still like to walk into physical stores sometimes since I get impatient and don't like to wait for shipping.

Now that I think about it. The last few times I've bought something at NCIX, the only location that had the item in stock was the Markham showroom. So, I guess things won't be much different for me after all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7016 posts
994 upvotes
It was bound to happen. Their clientele are people who know what to buy. They are generally a pickup depot and less of a store. Canada computers on the other hand is similar but with a lot of product out on display so the occasional customer can come in and browse for items. Not everyone like to shop on the computer. I've ran into situations where I don't have time to look on the website for the cheapest price so I look at a wall of product and go for the one that's on sale and sometime you want these customers as time crunch = profit. Could not do that with ncix. Had to look online and order then wait for pick up, taking too much time.

Their stores are generally empty when I go, with the occasional customer waiting to pick up.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14147 posts
2361 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:39 pm
It was bound to happen. Their clientele are people who know what to buy. They are generally a pickup depot and less of a store. Canada computers on the other hand is similar but with a lot of product out on display so the occasional customer can come in and browse for items. Not everyone like to shop on the computer. I've ran into situations where I don't have time to look on the website for the cheapest price so I look at a wall of product and go for the one that's on sale and sometime you want these customers as time crunch = profit. Could not do that with ncix. Had to look online and order then wait for pick up, taking too much time.

Their stores are generally empty when I go, with the occasional customer waiting to pick up.
Good summary. I never used their locations as actual stores, just pick up depots.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7514 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
I can't remember the last time I bought something in person at a computer store. I always order online. Even when I build a new PC. People like me probably make it harder to run physical locations.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10375 posts
663 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I was at the Vancouver, Broadway location a couple of months ago, after not being there for a long, long time, and they seem to have cut down the retail floor space to half.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2560 posts
596 upvotes
Mississauga
CC stores are a different operation. They sell a bunch of other things besides computer parts which means their customer base is broader.

Yes, I usually order my computer parts on-line but for those times when you're in the middle of a build and run out of thermal paste or a component dies, I like being able to go to a physical store.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25896 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
loserga wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:11 pm
I don't think NCIX closed their physical locations because they're losing money. I think they did it because they realized that their retail stores don't generate any value.
Isn't that the same thing? If it offers no value, your just wasting money paying rent and salaries.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2662 posts
240 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Sorry I meant that they aren't in the red.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10753 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
EPcjay wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 11:39 pm

yes. Everybody likes to hate on CC. Yes they basically have no return policy or PM policy but having CC around saved me a few times.

There were times when I needed something and needed to make a run to CC because I needed the item and couldn't wait for now. CC has lots of items in stock (and you can check online for stock at every store). NCIX, not at all. Even things like common memory cards or mice that NCIX had advertised ON SALE, you would have to order online for a in store pickup as they only had stock in the warehouse.

If CC closed up stores I would be a sad warpdrive, because there were more than a couple of times I needed to make a detour after work or lunch to pick up something I needed. My SATA cable is too long or my fan is making weird noises, run to CC. I needed some extra HDD screws or a new bracket for my SSD that I just got? Run to CC. I'm installing my cooler and I just ran out of paste, run to CC. CC prices can be just as good as NCIX but you have the option to go get it right away (and for things like HDD, I prefer picking it up than having them ship it to me anyway)
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!