PSA: All NCIX stores in Ontario closing. Update: NCIX has filed for bankruptcy

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 5:39 pm
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:12 pm
No, you clearly don't understand the situation NCIX is in and comparing it to a company pulling a business scam to get gov't handouts or to squeeze out of leases proves it.
I'm unaware of any statements, from the trustee, from others, etc., that NCIX is no longer a going concern insofar as mail order is concerned. Looking on Reddit, there are statements by people apparently knowledgeable about the matter that orders are continuing to be taken, shipments are continuing to ship, and certain senior staff remain with the company.

It is dangerous to just blindly assume that because the company entered into a bankruptcy filing, that they will shut down. There are reasons why they might need bankruptcy as a tool to deal with terminating their unsuccessful brick and mortar retail operations.
NCIX is dead, they have terminated all their employees (except for one guy processing orders/refunds and deleting comments on the forums),
That's not true according to comments on Reddit.
they owe tens of millions to suppliers, and these suppliers have all cut them off from products so they have ZERO inventory except the garbage they dredge up from the warehouse. They are D-E-A-D.
Are you stating these statements as facts? Did you spend the $6 to read the filing? Do you understand that a company like NCIX may not even have owned much of their inventory, as is common in the tech industry?
Oct 6, 2015
897 posts
435 upvotes
Spinner wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:18 pm
NCIX has no brand equity. It's a whitebox reseller with no value added services.
NCIX is a "go-to" name for Canadians when they purchase computer parts online or through mail order. I doubt there is a more recognizable company in Canada in that business. They are almost certainly one of the single largest customers of most of the major computer component manufacturers in Canada. They have receive extensive marketing support along those lines.
What's the difference between a CPU sold by Memory Express and NCIX? Nothing. The typical computer buyer in Ontario, Quebec, and Alberta has no idea what NCIX is. I think you're overestimating the value of the name.
They have extensive accounts with organizations across the nation that purchase equipment, and widespread brand recognition. NCIX was basically the benchmark against which every other company in the mail order computer parts business in Canada was benchmarked. There was just a recent court case where the Federal government purchased hundreds of thousands worth of components from NCIX and/or affiliates. The brand name is valuable and respected.
Any void in the sales channel is quickly being filled by Canada Computers, Mike's Computer, and Memory Express.
According to posts on Reddit, NCIX continues to accept orders and serve their customers. Spreading information which is false, or at the very least, not verifiable could be injurious to the company's reputation even if they have made an assignment in bankruptcy or filed some other sort of restructuring proposal.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11834 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:22 pm
That's not true according to comments on Reddit.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the front line guys are all gone except one, and that is straight from employees who got canned. Greg, a popular CSR at NCIX just got let go and that left just one guy according to NCIX employees. There may be some of Wu's relatives still hiding in the executive suites, but that's worth about 2 dead flies.

But we'll give it time and see who's right or wrong here and hopefully you can be man enough to admit you're wrong. If NCIX somehow rises from the ashes to become a viable company under the NCIX banner, I'll do the same.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2368 posts
960 upvotes
Vancouver
burnt69 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:27 pm
NCIX is a "go-to" name for Canadians when they purchase computer parts online or through mail order. I doubt there is a more recognizable company in Canada in that business. They are almost certainly one of the single largest customers of most of the major computer component manufacturers in Canada. They have receive extensive marketing support along those lines.

They have extensive accounts with organizations across the nation that purchase equipment, and widespread brand recognition. NCIX was basically the benchmark against which every other company in the mail order computer parts business in Canada was benchmarked. There was just a recent court case where the Federal government purchased hundreds of thousands worth of components from NCIX and/or affiliates. The brand name is valuable and respected.

According to posts on Reddit, NCIX continues to accept orders and serve their customers. Spreading information which is false, or at the very least, not verifiable could be injurious to the company's reputation even if they have made an assignment in bankruptcy or filed some other sort of restructuring proposal.
Sorry, that would be CDW. Their revenue is at least 3 times larger than NCIX.

The average computer enthusiast in BC may know NCIX but the typical enthusiast in larger markets like Ontario and Quebec does not.

NCIX is a parts mover, nothing more. Ask the largest employers in BC such as BC Public Service, Fraser Health Authority, or Telus whether they've bought boxes from NCIX. They would be laughing if you asked.

Anyone can sell parts because you're just being the lowest bidder. The federal government buying parts like flash drives or hard drives from NCIX is no surprise. Once again, that's low hanging fruit anyone like Canada Computers, Newegg, or Memory Express can grab.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
Spreading information which is false, or at the very least, not verifiable could be injurious to the company's reputation even if they have made an assignment in bankruptcy or filed some other sort of restructuring proposal.
Oh no, i will immediately cease posting negative information on any company that does business in Canada because i could single handedly destroy them. Lets hope all this power doesn't go to my head Face With Tears Of Joy
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1432 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto, ON
burnt69 wrote:

You mean the court case where that DOD employee purchased tons of stuff via fake NCIX account to resell and got busted?
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... -on-kijiji

Sorry friend, I don't think you have a good understanding on how enterprise/government sales works. Canada F100 companies purchase mostly direct from the OEMs, or in very specialized situation Softchoice and other top solutions resellers.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1419 posts
223 upvotes
Vancouver
adamtheman wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:56 pm
If I were you, I'd leave it alone. Trust me, you dig too deep and you won't like what you find. Walk away now.
?
Head-Fi Feedback (18)
eBay Feedback (79)
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1896 posts
233 upvotes
Waterlooo
I assume Direct Canada is toast also? I used to buy tons of stuff from there .. or price match NCIX with them.... there are related companies.

https://www.directcanada.com
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1681 posts
496 upvotes
Are you high? Greg got laid off. And that post was from September.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:12 pm
No, you clearly don't understand the situation NCIX is in and comparing it to a company pulling a business scam to get gov't handouts or to squeeze out of leases proves it.

NCIX is dead, they have terminated all their employees (except for one guy processing orders/refunds and deleting comments on the forums), they owe tens of millions to suppliers, and these suppliers have all cut them off from products so they have ZERO inventory except the garbage they dredge up from the warehouse. They are D-E-A-D.
He is under the impression that most vendors are offering products on consignment.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2368 posts
960 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:55 am
He is under the impression that most vendors are offering products on consignment.
I wonder where he got that incorrct impression. Anybody who has worked in this industry knows consignment doesn’t exist here.

Even common sense would tell you computer parts are fast evolving, extremely competitive, and expensive. The cost of holding on to goods is high. Prices drop every day and new stuff is always coming out. Consignment would kill a manufacturer.

These aren’t low value items like Christmas ornaments. Computer parts are expensive, time sensitive, and relies on high number of inventory turns to make money.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Spinner wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:55 am
Consignment would kill a manufacturer.
I'm not disagreeing with you. It's all about turns. Just in time inventory etc.

He's also under the impression that NCIX is the number one online retailer in Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

kmartel