• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 12:47 am
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2906 posts
1686 upvotes
Ghetto_Child wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:54 pm
I submitted a rewards items order using the checkout address. Funny enough I was still required to pay for shipping. Also the only payment methods that work are Interac Online (I don't trust submitting my interac information to their site, considering they only support obsolete TLS 1.0 communication); paypal does not work at all; I see no option for Visa Checkout (am I missing something here because they still have the icon on the site); I don't trust MasterPass to keep your financial information private, my first time using MasterPass and the card type, last 4 digits, expirery, and financial institution I chose from its "wallet" is listed right in the order summary, paypal would have just stated my paypal ID only; I'm most definitely not going to input an actual credit card into their checkout page, unless it's a store bought prepaid credit card; they have bank draft and credit note still listed but I didn't try those; I chose Electronic Bill Payment, which means I send money from my bank account to their bank account at the same bank. What was different this time, I never received an email confirming my order despite getting the order placed confirmation screen on the site. I also got a blank page when I clicked the link in the order confirmation for EBP instructions. So my debate is send them $13 for shipping and see if I miraculously get the rewards items, or would I just be sending money and my financial info to someone now impersonating or inappropriately having custody over NCIX's bank account?

Now for the stoopid stuff:

What are you talking about? What did I possibly do to actually forfeit my points?
Your fault for holding on to them for so long. You should have cashed out when you first heard they were closing the store locations.

Who hangs on to points for 10 years and expect them to still be there? Do you still have the old stamp cards from Subway? How are your Club Z points holding up in value?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14479 posts
3957 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 9:30 am
How are your Club Z points holding up in value?
They are steady Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2035 posts
267 upvotes
Waterlooo
chaos1105 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 9:12 am
Amazon is a good option too if you're looking to buy the parts and assemble yourself.
Not so much in Canada - poor sorting and lots of hit and miss prices. Try newegg.ca -- their online sorting/filtering makes building systems easy.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12118 posts
2759 upvotes
Montreal
superfresh89 wrote:
How are your Club Z points holding up in value?
They're doing just fine thank you.
Jul 11, 2004
217 posts
32 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 12:07 am
They're doing just fine thank you.
My Linke charger and battery pack aren't holding their values better than the NCIX points. Apparently, they are unsafe.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
superfresh89 wrote:
Your fault for holding on to them for so long. You should have cashed out when you first heard they were closing the store locations.

Who hangs on to points for 10 years and expect them to still be there? Do you still have the old stamp cards from Subway? How are your Club Z points holding up in value?
All my other 10yr old points systems are still going strong. Subway stamps I consumed every handful of years, but nowadays I have gift cards for Subway, Tim Hortons, and other fast food since 2007 and they're all still good because I check its validity without spending them when I'm nearby. I still have physical stamp cards for many cafés starting back in 1999. They're still good if the location has not closed down. I check, sometimes 5yrs goes by and they are more than happy to accept the stamp. Then I have Air Miles, Aeroplan, PC Points, Optimum points all collecting for about 10yrs and still valid too. The point (pun not intended) is we were never sent any warning of any type of changes happening to the points system. I was saving up my points to buy NCIX gift cards. In 2016 I was elegible to purchase $200 worth of gift cards. The cash value GC increases exponentially with the more points you save. That's when I did my last purchase. I only found out about the physical location closures Dec. 4/5th. I'm in Quebec, we have no physical location here and we ONLY get shipments from the NCIX Online warehouses (which are just 2 or 3 locations only). We never get shipments from the NCIX physical store. In fact if the Online Warehouse is out of stock and an Ontario location has stock, they have to ship it from Ontario to NCIX BC Online Warehouse first before they can fill my order and send to me. Hence I never thought NCIX closing physical stores and resorting back to online only presence meant any danger or change to services available to me.

BTW didn't the Club Z points get rolled into HBC Rewards? They became the same ownership quite a long time ago, that's why when Zellers was closing down lots of clothes from The Bay showed up there.
Last edited by Ghetto_Child on Jan 2nd, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2906 posts
1686 upvotes
Ghetto_Child wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:39 pm
All my other 10yr old points systems are still going strong. Subway stamps I consumed every handful of years, but nowadays I have gift cards for Subway, Tim Hortons, and other fast food since 2007 and they're all still good because I check its validity without spending them when I'm nearby. I still have physical stamp cards for many cafés starting back in 1999. They're still good if the location has not closed down. I check, sometimes 5yrs goes by and they are more than happy to accept the stamp. Then I have Air Miles, Aeroplan, PC Points, Optimum points all collecting for about 10yrs and still valid too. The point (pun not intended) is we were never sent any warning of any type of changes happening to the points system. I was saving up my points to buy NCIX gift cards. In 2016 I was elegible to purchase $200 worth of gift cards. The cash value GC increases exponentially with the more points you save. That's when I did my last purchase. I only found out about the physical location closures Dec. 4/5th. I'm in Quebec, we have no physical location here and we ONLY get shipments from the NCIX Online warehouses (which are just 2 or 3 locations only). We never get shipments from the NCIX physical store. In fact if the Online Warehouse is out of stock and an Ontario location has stock, they have to ship it from Ontario to NCIX BC Online Warehouse first before they can fill my order and send to me. Hence I never thought NCIX closing physical stores and resorting back to online only presence meant any danger or change to services available to me.
You can see why they wouldn't send out notices to cash in gift cards when they're in the midst of going bankrupt and dodging over 30 million in debts though, right?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yes and no, I can see why they wouldn't do it at bankruptcy, but even before that, they could have slashed the points value system in half and send a notice about an upcoming reduction in their rewards value. Which would prompt people to use up their points before they lose half its value. This wouldn't interfere with bankrupty, and it would cause a huge surge of orders, that would steal some business away from competition for a short period too. In fact if they turned the rewards into a cash discount towards anything on their site, it could in theory steal business away from the competition in a rush to use up the points before value reduction deadline. In any case, ANY type of advanced warning of a major change to points value with a deadline would have gotten customers to use them up. They could have added a requirement that rewards items could only be added to orders with a minimum purchase value of $x. Lots of ways to work it in favour of preventing bankrupty without screwing customers over.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5288 posts
825 upvotes
Kimura96 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:56 am
Memory Express, or A-power if you live in Vancouver. Those two are, as far as I know, offer a service to build a PC for a price. Some local computer shops might offer the service so look around.

However, I highly recommend looking up guides on how to assemble your own PC to save yourself money.
I have built many PCs in my life but I came to realize that generally it was easier to pay the $50 to have them assemble for me.

I have big hands so hate working with the small cables and screws and it is much better when you have DOA gear. Nothing worse than having a new build PC ready to go but having to RMA a key part and wait weeks for a replacement. When they built it in shop and it didn't work, they just grab another one off the shelf.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1486 posts
822 upvotes
Ghetto_Child wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:39 pm
Then I have Air Miles, Aeroplan, PC Points, Optimum points all collecting for about 10yrs and still valid too. The point (pun not intended) is we were never sent any warning of any type of changes happening to the points system.
So are you saying you think you'll be able to redeem your points under the rules that were in effect 10+ years ago? Good luck with that...

Best example since it's one I'm familiar with -- for its first decade or so, "Air Miles" literally were air miles -- 1 mile could be redeemed for 1 "as the crow flies" mile of round trip air travel on almost any airline, with a 500 mile minimum (later changed to 750, then 1000). I definitely flew a lot under those rules -- 500 miles got me to Chicago/NYC/Washington DC, 750 miles got me to Atlanta, 1000 miles to New Orleans/Orlando, etc... Those were the good ol' days!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10508 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Ziggy007 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 5:04 pm
I have built many PCs in my life but I came to realize that generally it was easier to pay the $50 to have them assemble for me.
Do they usually give you the screws and stuff that come with the stuff that you bought? I told a friend to specifically make sure she gets the screws from the case (special HDD screws), but of course, she didn't. Mind you, they Fed up, and she ended up getting a free HDD :D .
Sep 16, 2016
149 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
A warehouse with a function of inventory menu sale should be better for such kind of business. And it gives customers chances to save shipping fee by picking-up the item themselves. Not sure the name of a UK business that you order the item on the inventory book in-store. And pick it up right after you paid it.
If we can dream it, we can make it!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27770 posts
3587 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Kimura96 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:56 am
Memory Express, or A-power if you live in Vancouver. Those two are, as far as I know, offer a service to build a PC for a price. Some local computer shops might offer the service so look around.
Generic Computer

https://www.genericcomputer.com

Frontier PC

https://www.frontierpc.com

.. and Canada Computers has multiple locations now.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10508 posts
724 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Hattie917 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 6:10 am
A warehouse with a function of inventory menu sale should be better for such kind of business. And it gives customers chances to save shipping fee by picking-up the item themselves. Not sure the name of a UK business that you order the item on the inventory book in-store. And pick it up right after you paid it.
That sounds like ATIC :D . Since you're not in Vancouver, you won't know what I'm talking about, but this was once a popular computer store where you basically go in there knowing what you want. You line up, and when it's your turn, you tell them what parts you want and they get it. If you don't know what you want, and want to ask questions, the employee may skip to the next person in line.

Speaking of ATIC, I was going along Broadway and saw a different storefront that had ATIC in big letters above the door. It was chained/locked. It was between Main and Granville, south side, if I remember correctly.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4047 posts
687 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rabbit wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:30 am
That sounds like ATIC :D . Since you're not in Vancouver, you won't know what I'm talking about, but this was once a popular computer store where you basically go in there knowing what you want. You line up, and when it's your turn, you tell them what parts you want and they get it. If you don't know what you want, and want to ask questions, the employee may skip to the next person in line.

Speaking of ATIC, I was going along Broadway and saw a different storefront that had ATIC in big letters above the door. It was chained/locked. It was between Main and Granville, south side, if I remember correctly.
LOL I remember that place... only been in there once when I first started out looking at getting my own parts... it can be intimidating... even their ads in Computer Paper were intimidating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)