PC & Video Games

PSA - Closed 2x EB Games Locations

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2020 4:21 pm
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
13136 posts
7441 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: So perhaps not really related to anything in the larger scope of things.
Def not, hence why I stated the reasoning for the closures but I visit these 2 locations frequently and was a little surprised. The nearest location in Etobicoke would be North Queen.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1414 posts
712 upvotes
Durham
Surprised with Sherway as they seem to be doing well in Yorkdale.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7962 posts
2450 upvotes
Only old people go to Cloverdale Mall.
I used to go to Sherway when I was a kid or when I was a teenager. Now it’s either Yorkdale or Eaton Centre.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
3678 posts
1197 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote: Only old people go to Cloverdale Mall.
I used to go to Sherway when I was a kid or when I was a teenager. Now it’s either Yorkdale or Eaton Centre.
I'm old and I don't frequent any mall. There is zero reason to visit a mall in 2020.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
13136 posts
7441 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: Surprised with Sherway as they seem to be doing well in Yorkdale.
Yeah, word from another vendor in the mall indicated that rent is now $10,000/month.
XFactor11 wrote: Only old people go to Cloverdale Mall.
I used to go to Sherway when I was a kid or when I was a teenager. Now it’s either Yorkdale or Eaton Centre.
I'm not going to Yorkdale or Eaton Centre for EB games :facepalm:
mrtvgame wrote: I'm old and I don't frequent any mall. There is zero reason to visit a mall in 2020.
This is true to a degree as you can get a lot of items online. But there's plenty of reasons to visit brick and motar shops. Kids/teens use it to socialise. 20s+ use it to bring their SO to look at diamonds and potential hot or not clothing as I would never buy clothes online and there are some games that you need to visit a physical location. Example; I purchased Transformers Devastation on my 360 console. Now, I want it on my xbox one. Hasbro pulled licensing from Activision and therefore the game is pulled from the store and only available in physical disc. Game is older, 2015. Anyways, I wanted a copy and got one without waiting. But I did waste time driving around looking for an EB Games.

Funny, actually same could be said about going to bars to meet people. Today, everyone meets online. Why drink in a club and try to meet people when I can do it via chatroom or facebook or whatnot and drink alone. :facepalm:

Regardless.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Newbie
Mar 8, 2017
82 posts
30 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I never understood how it made sense to have an EB games in Sherway and then another one across the street in the North Queen plaza and then another one at cloverdale. Seems to make sense from a business standpoint to consolidate into one location, and the largest outside of the 2 in the malls.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2203 posts
1272 upvotes
nickc9 wrote: I never understood how it made sense to have an EB games in Sherway and then another one across the street in the North Queen plaza and then another one at cloverdale. Seems to make sense from a business standpoint to consolidate into one location, and the largest outside of the 2 in the malls.
They also have one in the Eaton Centre and one across the street on Yonge.

There’s on in the Scarborough Town Centre and another at Bellamy/Lawrence (10 min drive away).

They have become over saturated with locations and I can see why some stores might not be doing so well.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20482 posts
4554 upvotes
Poormond Hill
nickc9 wrote: I never understood how it made sense to have an EB games in Sherway and then another one across the street in the North Queen plaza and then another one at cloverdale. Seems to make sense from a business standpoint to consolidate into one location, and the largest outside of the 2 in the malls.
Those were the days before digital downloading became the norm.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 6, 2006
4988 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
They also used to have one at Dixie Mall which is 5-10 minutes away from Sherway but that closed down as well recently.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1414 posts
712 upvotes
Durham
OldMarriedGuy wrote: They also have one in the Eaton Centre and one across the street on Yonge.

There’s on in the Scarborough Town Centre and another at Bellamy/Lawrence (10 min drive away).

They have become over saturated with locations and I can see why some stores might not be doing so well.
The one in Eaton Centre is long gone.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1414 posts
712 upvotes
Durham
After living in Durham so many years I just noticed they have one in Pickering Town Centre and another literally across the street. Not sure who planned it but they need to change fast. Let's not forget what happened to Target when they flooded the market too quickly. As someone mentioned, rent is not cheap and if these stores are paying close to $10k in rent then will crash quickly with a lot of people going digital. Perhaps keep the ones in the mall? I've noticed those to be busier than stand alones.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8196 posts
1751 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: The one in Eaton Centre is long gone.
The Eaton Center one is not closed. It's located on the floor directly above the food court.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1414 posts
712 upvotes
Durham
appleb wrote: The Eaton Center one is not closed. It's located on the floor directly above the food court.
Interesting. Was there a few times. Never physically walked by it, but they don't have it on their directory in the mall

Top