None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2789 posts
323 upvotes
Alberta

PSA: The dealer email bomb negotiation tactic works -amazing-

My wife and I decided on a rather uncommon model--a 2014 Escape Titanium, but only FWD. It's super rare. We knew it'd be a factory order no matter what, and we're fine with that.

I read some people on the internet found success in skipping haggling, and simply mail bombing a bunch of dealers asking for their best price. I was skeptical. I've emailed dealers in the past asking for their internet price or whatever, and they returned with MSRP with a paltry discount. My email simply said to the effect: I've emailed 12 other dealers. Best price wins. This is what I want. If you don't want to negotiate by email, thanks for your time.

My Escape broke down like this:

MSRP $35,949
Ford Factory Pricing: $33,529
Loyalty Rebate: $1000
Total Pricing after rebate, deemed non-negotiable by one dealer (lol): $32,529.

Final Price: $28,852. According to Car Cost Canada, the dealer cost for the vehicle inclusive of all dealer hold backs is $29,846.

Besides the price though, the dealers worked hard for the sale. At the end I had two dealers absolutely killing each other for the sale. I actually felt a bit bad--I was not intending to turn it into a dealer vs dealer head on battle like it turned out... but it worked in my favour. I've no doubt we managed thousands less than traditional haggling, at least at my skill level.

My total investment? About an hour sorting through emails. No visiting multiple dealers, spending a day or more haggling. No stress. I am a good haggler but I still find it intensely unpleasant and stressful.

I will never buy a car any other way again.
325 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18902 posts
4121 upvotes
Toronto
Not surprising. I do the same for my last three vehicles. It does take a few weeks to get all the replies but at the end, I pay what I want to pay.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2789 posts
323 upvotes
Alberta
booblehead wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 11:32 am
Not surprising. I do the same for my last three vehicles. It does take a few weeks to get all the replies but at the end, I pay what I want to pay.
I emailed 14 dealers in the end, and I had 9 reply. All replied within 12 hours. It was fast!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18902 posts
4121 upvotes
Toronto
that's pretty good response time & result.
Jan 25, 2012
125 posts
7 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Hi I am doing the same thing right now, but emailed a bunch of Honda dealerships last night and got some responses. How do I get the dealerships bidding each other? Do I just tell them I got a better offer? And is there anything to watch out for when I actually pick up the car?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2789 posts
323 upvotes
Alberta
teelin wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 12:04 pm
Hi I am doing the same thing right now, but emailed a bunch of Honda dealerships last night and got some responses. How do I get the dealerships bidding each other? Do I just tell them I got a better offer? And is there anything to watch out for when I actually pick up the car?
I haven't got the car yet, it's on order. I can't give you any advice there.

I wasn't trying to get them to bid against each other, I just told him he was second so I'm going with the other guy... so he dropped his price. Then I tried to turn down the first guy, he dropped his price, and so on. Finally one gave up and stopped replying to emails, which I took to mean he can't drop the price anymore.
Jun 12, 2009
539 posts
90 upvotes
teelin wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 12:04 pm
Please update how it went with Honda. I'm planning on getting the Civic LX sometime in November.
Feb 15, 2012
76 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I do it that way as well. Good job OP and enjoy your Ford :)
Jun 16, 2009
67 posts
7 upvotes
Guelph
Great way to buy a car. I have done this successfully in the past. Two extra steps I would suggest, in no particular order. After using carcostcanada and unhaggle, try easycardiscount to see the best price they can come up with. Establish a bottom line price - price you would be willing to pay for the car, being fair to yourself and the dealer. Then email the dealers saying you'd be willing to deal at that bottom line price.
Apr 12, 2008
490 posts
14 upvotes
That's something I thought of doing as well.. Unfortunately for me, there's only one Audi dealer in Ottawa :(
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1025 posts
14 upvotes
Great info! I'm actually looking to buy a similar model very soon.

Did you email the dealers individually through their websites? I've noticed that some of the dealers in my area don't have their emails publicly listed anywhere.
Jun 16, 2009
67 posts
7 upvotes
Guelph
Always address your emails to the Sales Manager. Never go through regular salesmen. Some dealer websites have the Sales Manager's personal email address, some do not.
Jun 15, 2011
38522 posts
5549 upvotes
King City
Headhoncho wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 7:07 pm
Always address your emails to the Sales Manager. Never go through regular salesmen. Some dealer websites have the Sales Manager's personal email address, some do not.
Will keep this in mind!
reservoir_dogs wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 5:22 pm
That's something I thought of doing as well.. Unfortunately for me, there's only one Audi dealer in Ottawa :(
Tried in Hull/Gatineau?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Aug 13, 2009
961 posts
64 upvotes
That's what I did for the audi as well, although I wasn't as in your face about it lol. Worked very well. Only ended up going to see 2 dealers before one of them giving us absolutely everything we wanted and more :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

nm486