Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 7:25 am
Is March 2017 considered "lately"?

I bought a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid this way.
I joined https://www.carhelpcanada.com/ - for $60 you get the dealer cost for the vehicle and option packages you want + dealer cost on the extended warranty + a referral to their "no haggle deal salesperson with the no haggle deal price"
I created a hotmail account ****wants_to_buy_a_toyota@hotmail.com"
I emailed every dealership within 100 km of the GTA offering to buy the vehicle for a few hundred less than the "no haggle deal price" + a few hundred off the extended warranty.
I had dozens of responses - the only dealership that wouldn't offer a deal via email was my local Toyota dealership - who offered me a trinket gift to come in to negotiate.
I ended up with 2 dealerships each trying to beat the other's deal.
Final outcome was "Dealer Cost" + $100 on the vehicle and $500 off Toyota ECP warranty.
Do I understand the dealership still made money on my deal via holdbacks and sales quota incentives - absolutely - it's not my business i.e. all I care about is what I paid.
The dealership told me I had to have the vehicle off their lot within 3 days (it was close to the end of the month) and I was not to disclose what I paid if asked by anyone...which I assume was simply a tactic to make me feel good as I am sure they would offer the same deal to anyone who bargained hard or used the email blast tactic.
Here's the text of the email I used in my "blast":

Hi - I am looking to purchase a RAV 4 Hybrid LE+ XLE pkg. in white. (I am in no rush to get the vehicle so if it has to be ordered in for me, that's fine).

I am offering dealer cost +$500 on the vehicle (before taxes and fees) and I am interested in purchasing the ECP Platinum Warranty 84/120 and I am looking for a $500 discount off the extended warranty price.

I am sending this email to several dealerships within 100Km of Toronto ON.

First dealership to accept my offer will get my deal.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Sep 15, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
When you guys offer dealer cost + X amount and it is accepted, do they provide or show you the dealer invoice when you attend in person? If not how does verification work? Are you buying the invoice with the specific options elsewhere beforehand and bringing it along?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
oilerfan89 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 2:01 pm
When you guys offer dealer cost + X amount and it is accepted, do they provide or show you the dealer invoice when you attend in person? If not how does verification work? Are you buying the invoice with the specific options elsewhere beforehand and bringing it along?
Join carhelpcanada, apa or any other institution that provides "Dealer Cost" info - it's money well spent. They will tell you the Dealer Cost" for the vehicle + any options/option packages you specify + they will tell you the dealer cost on extended warranty packages.
They will also provide you with contact info for a "no haggle" deal of a fixed mark up from the "Dealer Cost" info they provided you.
Send the email blast keeping the aforementioned in mind.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3440 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
I used it around March 2017 as well. got a free carcost price and just start emailing the dealerships. and of course the dealership that is associate with carcost or unhaggle will start to contact you. got a price from a dealership that even the unhaggle dealership can't match.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Sep 15, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 3:34 pm
Join carhelpcanada, apa or any other institution that provides "Dealer Cost" info - it's money well spent. They will tell you the Dealer Cost" for the vehicle + any options/option packages you specify + they will tell you the dealer cost on extended warranty packages.
They will also provide you with contact info for a "no haggle" deal of a fixed mark up from the "Dealer Cost" info they provided you.
Thanks which one is the best in your opinion? Is it the same invoice info provided on this forum by "Unhaggle"?
marktang wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 4:07 pm
I used it around March 2017 as well. got a free carcost price and just start emailing the dealerships. and of course the dealership that is associate with carcost or unhaggle will start to contact you. got a price from a dealership that even the unhaggle dealership can't match.
Which service did you use?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
oilerfan89 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 4:40 pm
Thanks which one is the best in your opinion? Is it the same invoice info provided on this forum by "Unhaggle"?

Which service did you use?
[/quote]

https://www.carhelpcanada.com/why-join/ is the service I used. I used APA last time - equivalent services provided. I have never used Unhaggle.
Sep 15, 2017
18 posts
4 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 4:42 pm
https://www.carhelpcanada.com/why-join/ is the service I used. I used APA last time - equivalent services provided. I have never used Unhaggle.
interesting. I found Unhaggle in another thread here providing the information for free. I'm just trying to figure out if I can leverage it without an actual paper copy and how reliable it is.
Oct 22, 2012
529 posts
323 upvotes
Use whichever website has the lowest invoice price. In my situation, Carcost's invoice price was lower than unhaggle's by nearly $200.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11268 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
FlukeSkywalker wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:23 am
Use whichever website has the lowest invoice price. In my situation, Carcost's invoice price was lower than unhaggle's by nearly $200.
What? Shouldn't invoice pricing be the same all around?
Oct 22, 2012
529 posts
323 upvotes
No, check out the screen shot.

-Edit: Actually they are the same, I misread Carcostcanada.ca @ $25,547.00
Funny part is the dealership accepted my offer based on this Invoice price and didn't even bother to check my sources LOL. Makes you kinda wonder what they really pay for these cars or if these reports are inflated...
Images
  • Honda.png
  • honda 2.png
Last edited by FlukeSkywalker on Sep 20th, 2017 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:38 am
What? Shouldn't invoice pricing be the same all around?
A difference in price of a couple of hundred bucks on a $30K-$40K vehicle is negligable.
I used both the "dealer cost" info and the referral to a preferred dealership with the "no haggle" price as my benchmark.
BTW at no time did I specify to any salesperson or dealership what the "dealer cost" info was - they filled it in when writing up the contract and co-incidentally it matched the info I had - nor did I tell the dealership where I sourced the "dealer cost info"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7663 posts
292 upvotes
Brampton
I used this tactic last year when buying a car and I'll definitely do it again. Had the exact number I wanted to pay (Cost + 1%) along with giving the most detailed info of the car and model I want.

Emailed at least 10 dealerships. About half said they need to talk in person, a couple didn't respond, a few said to get an offer from another dealership and they will match it and the 1 that got my business said they will agree to the price if I call in. The call was basically to put a $1000 deposit to hold the car. Went in to sign paper work and done.
Apr 27, 2014
28 posts
Calgary, AB
Here's a question:
Lets say dealership "X" gives me the lowest price (through emails), do I give the other dealerships what dealership "X" quoted me, or do I let them play cat and mouse?