Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2788 posts
323 upvotes
Alberta
hebrewhammer wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:40 pm
Here's a question:
Lets say dealership "X" gives me the lowest price (through emails), do I give the other dealerships what dealership "X" quoted me, or do I let them play cat and mouse?
up to you
Jul 16, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
So I sent out 10 emails this morning (to all local and some non-local I'm willing to drive to). Offered invoice + 3%. Sent ten emails this morning, got two replies. One wanted all the info on my trade-in (which I gave) and nothing else, the other said that my offer (invoice + 3%) isn't good enough, since that only leaves him with $800 profit.

Should I wait for more replies? Or should I reply to the $800 guy? What should I reply? I've never done this before haha, and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
teneues wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:14 pm
So I sent out 10 emails this morning (to all local and some non-local I'm willing to drive to). Offered invoice + 3%. Sent ten emails this morning, got two replies. One wanted all the info on my trade-in (which I gave) and nothing else, the other said that my offer (invoice + 3%) isn't good enough, since that only leaves him with $800 profit.

Should I wait for more replies? Or should I reply to the $800 guy? What should I reply? I've never done this before haha, and I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks!
Tell him invoice + 3.5%, but extra $1000 towards your trade-in.
The more he squeezes you, the more you add to your trade-in. Lol
Jul 16, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 7:39 am
Tell him invoice + 3.5%, but extra $1000 towards your trade-in.
The more he squeezes you, the more you add to your trade-in. Lol
Thanks! Ended up making the deal at a slightly higher price, still took $2k off MSRP which was my goal, so I'm happy.
Nov 29, 2011
231 posts
188 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
plymouthhater wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:03 am
Here's the text of the email I used in my "blast":

Hi - I am looking to purchase a RAV 4 Hybrid LE+ XLE pkg. in white. (I am in no rush to get the vehicle so if it has to be ordered in for me, that's fine).

I am offering dealer cost +$500 on the vehicle (before taxes and fees) and I am interested in purchasing the ECP Platinum Warranty 84/120 and I am looking for a $500 discount off the extended warranty price.

I am sending this email to several dealerships within 100Km of Toronto ON.

First dealership to accept my offer will get my deal.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
thank you, this is helpful!
curious...will dealers offer different prices if you're buying outright, versus leasing?
seeing 0%, 52 month leases on the Toyota site makes me think i should start on a lease and buy outright later if i like the car...
May 8, 2015
6 posts
Surrey, BC
Thank you for this informative thread.

My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question but how do I go about factoring the GST/PST in my OTR price if I want to lease? Do I just state the Invoice price + Dealer profit + Mandatory (PDI/Freight/AC/Tire Levies) minus Pre Tax incentives ( - ) the Leasing bonus and Upgrade Bonus = OTR price? For Mazda, there is also a First Time Buyer incentive for $500 that is applied after Taxes, where can I factor that in to negotiate for my OTR price?
Jan 27, 2013
142 posts
32 upvotes
wlee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2013 6:40 am
I suspect this would work for every vendor, less likely for luxury brand eg bmw/Mercedes/audi, I could be wrong.
kennyken wrote:
Oct 14th, 2013 7:17 pm
Does this work for Mercedes? Anyone tried it?
bm010806 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2014 1:54 pm
Has anyone had success with this method with Mercedes? I emailed over 15 dealers and barely any responses and no proper quotes.
netbounty wrote:
May 28th, 2014 4:44 pm
I am wondering if anyone has any success with manufacturers like Benz, BMW and Audi etc. - since they generally treat themselves as 'higher class' and wouldn't budge with emails like that?
I've gone through the entire thread. No one has replied to any of the above. Can anyone confirm if this works with MB, BMW or Audi?
booblehead wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 11:32 am
Not surprising. I do the same for my last three vehicles. It does take a few weeks to get all the replies but at the end, I pay what I want to pay.
Maybe you can confirm? Based on other threads, I'm guessing you have a higher end German vehicle? Thanks!
Jan 27, 2013
142 posts
32 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:03 am
Here's the text of the email I used in my "blast":

Hi - I am looking to purchase a RAV 4 Hybrid LE+ XLE pkg. in white. (I am in no rush to get the vehicle so if it has to be ordered in for me, that's fine).

I am offering dealer cost +$500 on the vehicle (before taxes and fees) and I am interested in purchasing the ECP Platinum Warranty 84/120 and I am looking for a $500 discount off the extended warranty price.

I am sending this email to several dealerships within 100Km of Toronto ON.

First dealership to accept my offer will get my deal.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Did you end up getting a discount on the extended warranty? $500 off how much?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
thisblowsgoatsbigtime wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 4:26 am
Did you end up getting a discount on the extended warranty? $500 off how much?
$500 off the warranty and I ended up playing 2 dealerships against one another as each offered to beat my $500 off offer & I got the price down to $100 above dealer cost.
And for the threadcrappers - yes I realize that there are holdback and volume sales rebate payments to dealers which are not factored into what I term as "dealer cost".
All I care about was my out the door price.

Toyota ECP (Platinum) warranty comes with 3 yrs maintenance included (which was a pleasant surprise).
Sep 13, 2008
642 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
plymouthhater wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 7:29 am
$500 off the warranty and I ended up playing 2 dealerships against one another as each offered to beat my $500 off offer & I got the price down to $100 above dealer cost.
And for the threadcrappers - yes I realize that there are holdback and volume sales rebate payments to dealers which are not factored into what I term as "dealer cost".
All I care about was my out the door price.

Toyota ECP (Platinum) warranty comes with 3 yrs maintenance included (which was a pleasant surprise).
where can you find dealer cost on extended warranties?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
redwings_patriots wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 12:03 pm
where can you find dealer cost on extended warranties?
APA or Car Help Canada provide the dealer cost on extended warranties as part of their paid service of providing "Dealer Cost" + a referral to their "no haggle" deal salesperson/dealership.
Aug 31, 2017
222 posts
53 upvotes
What should I say for a 2017 Mazda CX-5 with Comfort Package? I'm planning on leasing it for 42-48 months - crystal blue with potential remote starter - I also have an existing Mazda, so not sure if they have any loyalty discounts.
Aug 19, 2007
48 posts
17 upvotes
Hi All,

I am looking for buy a Subaru Forester and I have been able to get individual sales persons email addresses from the OMVIC site, should I only email the sales managers or the individual sales persons as well? I am assuming each one has a sales quota and would be willing to compete within the same dealership!

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5580 posts
1426 upvotes
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:17 pm
Hi All,

I am looking for buy a Subaru Forester and I have been able to get individual sales persons email addresses from the OMVIC site, should I only email the sales managers or the individual sales persons as well? I am assuming each one has a sales quota and would be willing to compete within the same dealership!

Thanks!
When I did the email bomb to buy my RAV4 Hybrid - I simply visited the web site for each dealership - searched for "Contact US" - there's usually an email address .
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3439 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:17 pm
Hi All,

Thanks!
contact the sales manager. usually they will ask a sales to reply you back.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig