• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 3:02 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 19, 2007
48 posts
17 upvotes
Sharing my experience, this has to be the best method of buying a car-
I emailed all the sales managers and GMs (got email address from OMVIC website) for Subaru dealers in GTA. Was very specific about the model, color, options, accessories and asked them to quote their best price. Did not mention lease, purchase or financing.
Mentioned that I have done my research via unhaggle, car cost canada, etc.
Once I got the best price ($ 1000 less than unhaggle) I confirmed color availability etc via email.
Walked in to the dealership signed paperwork and walked out in 45 mins.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7564 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
OP and others know what time it is...THIS is how you do it ppl. I've advocated this method for the longest time, just efficient, saves time & $, what's better...I guess telepathy lol.

Should be a sticky.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1834 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
New to all this, hopefully someone who’s done this already can shed some light.....for those who would prefer to finance or lease, will the unhaggle/dealer cost method still apply? And if so, what should I look for in terms of interest rates or terms? The method here is fairly straight forward if cash purchase, which Im surprised so many ppl are willing to do....unless there’s something I’m missing there too and the full amount isn’t actually being paid in cash at one time..
Nov 26, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
I tried doing this when purchasing a Mazda and no one would give me a exact $ value anymore. They said they no longer are allowed to confirm prices with clients over email and they will force you to come in.
Jul 22, 2015
300 posts
59 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
swuonnngy wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 6:51 pm
I tried doing this when purchasing a Mazda and no one would give me a exact $ value anymore. They said they no longer are allowed to confirm prices with clients over email and they will force you to come in.
I just went through this too. I was on the phone with a dealer and asked for best price and he said they don't give prices over the phone and I would have to go into the dealership.
Aug 19, 2007
48 posts
17 upvotes
The out of the door price is applicable to cash purchase, financing and leasing. First get the price then talk about how you want to purchase/lease.
dtm252535 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 4:41 pm
New to all this, hopefully someone who’s done this already can shed some light.....for those who would prefer to finance or lease, will the unhaggle/dealer cost method still apply? And if so, what should I look for in terms of interest rates or terms? The method here is fairly straight forward if cash purchase, which Im surprised so many ppl are willing to do....unless there’s something I’m missing there too and the full amount isn’t actually being paid in cash at one time..
Aug 19, 2007
48 posts
17 upvotes
No phone calls, only emails. I guess if Mazda does not want to play ball, you should take your business elsewhere. In this day and age anyone who says no email is out of date.

Also, spread your net wide, if there are 12 Mazda dealers, email all of them, someone is bound to respond, start from there and tell the other dealers, if this dealer can respond why cant you?
Acheewawa wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 8:08 am
I just went through this too. I was on the phone with a dealer and asked for best price and he said they don't give prices over the phone and I would have to go into the dealership.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1834 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 10:08 am
The out of the door price is applicable to cash purchase, financing and leasing. First get the price then talk about how you want to purchase/lease.
Do they not factor other costs in when leasing vs cash purchases though? Aside from any set interest rates, I assumed they’d want to tack something else on...
Oct 14, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Markham, ON
dtm252535 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 12:29 pm
Do they not factor other costs in when leasing vs cash purchases though? Aside from any set interest rates, I assumed they’d want to tack something else on...
Nope. Leasing can be cheaper than cash purchase. Sometimes there's incentives for cash purchase only and sometimes lease only with 0% on top

It's a myth that cash is always going to result in lower total all in price
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1834 posts
127 upvotes
Guelph
Xfiles wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 1:27 pm
Nope. Leasing can be cheaper than cash purchase. Sometimes there's incentives for cash purchase only and sometimes lease only with 0% on top

It's a myth that cash is always going to result in lower total all in price
So I get their lowest price, go in and say I want to lease...how is that then calculated? Lease rates always seem to differ depending on term length? Sorry for the super basic questions but I really have very little understanding of how this stuff works! I financed my first and only used vehicle years ago and have never had to do anything like that since.
Oct 14, 2015
199 posts
67 upvotes
Markham, ON
dtm252535 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 2:04 pm
So I get their lowest price, go in and say I want to lease...how is that then calculated? Lease rates always seem to differ depending on term length? Sorry for the super basic questions but I really have very little understanding of how this stuff works! I financed my first and only used vehicle years ago and have never had to do anything like that since.
First find all the incentives on a model you're interested in first. Determine if the incentives apply to cash, lease , finance and if there are difference.

Leasing payments is basically determined by the purchase price of the car plus interest subtract by the residual amount (how much car is worth it end of lease) . And take that amount divided by # of payments

What can be negotiated is the purchase price, the residual and interest rate is determined by manufacture though if it's not 0% interest, you maybe able to reduce it by adding security deposit (basically interest free money you deposit with them and get back at lease end)

You also only pay tax on lease payments and not on entire purchase price of car

Usually leasing overall costs more except when there are lease only incentives not offset by purchase ones but you get to dump the car back to them at the end. Always take the lease if the incentives/purchase price for car is lower than outright purchase
Nov 26, 2014
7 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 10:11 am
No phone calls, only emails. I guess if Mazda does not want to play ball, you should take your business elsewhere. In this day and age anyone who says no email is out of date.

Also, spread your net wide, if there are 12 Mazda dealers, email all of them, someone is bound to respond, start from there and tell the other dealers, if this dealer can respond why cant you?
I literally emailed all of Mazda dealers in all of the lower mainland and every single one of them said that they are no longer able to confirm prices with clients over email anymore.
May 17, 2017
159 posts
107 upvotes
Waterloo
swuonnngy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 8:29 pm
I literally emailed all of Mazda dealers in all of the lower mainland and every single one of them said that they are no longer able to confirm prices with clients over email anymore.
Hey! That must be frustrating, have you considered the following?

1. Reach out to dealers in the valley (i.e. Langley, Abbotsford, etc)
2. Reach out to fleet division (PM me for Open Road Fleet Division - gave the best deal with least hassle)
3. Buy something not a Mazda
Jan 21, 2016
111 posts
47 upvotes
GVRD
Anyone have success in doing this in the lower mainland?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6640 posts
1778 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
van1337 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 6:56 pm
Anyone have success in doing this in the lower mainland?
Did this 5 years ago for a Subaru. Worked great! Spent about 2 hours in total sending and responding to e-mails. I would add that I would also include local auto brokers in the e-mail blast as well.