Tags:
None
Jan 21, 2016
111 posts
47 upvotes
GVRD
craftsman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 7:00 pm
Did this 5 years ago for a Subaru. Worked great! Spent about 2 hours in total sending and responding to e-mails. I would add that I would also include local auto brokers in the e-mail blast as well.
Do you think this would work on a popular model like a Civic or Corolla? I went into a dealership for a test drive before attempting to email bomb, and that dealership was adamant on the MSRP.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2633 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 2:23 pm
Sharing my experience, this has to be the best method of buying a car-
I emailed all the sales managers and GMs (got email address from OMVIC website) for Subaru dealers in GTA. Was very specific about the model, color, options, accessories and asked them to quote their best price. Did not mention lease, purchase or financing.
Mentioned that I have done my research via unhaggle, car cost canada, etc.
Once I got the best price ($ 1000 less than unhaggle) I confirmed color availability etc via email.
Walked in to the dealership signed paperwork and walked out in 45 mins.
2018 Forester?

What trim and out the door price?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7564 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
van1337 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:44 pm
Do you think this would work on a popular model like a Civic or Corolla? I went into a dealership for a test drive before attempting to email bomb, and that dealership was adamant on the MSRP.
It worked for an Elantra.
May 17, 2017
159 posts
107 upvotes
Waterloo
van1337 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 6:56 pm
Anyone have success in doing this in the lower mainland?
Had success doing this with a Subaru. Wolfe Langley was my best quote.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6638 posts
1777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
van1337 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:44 pm
Absolutely. This is also one of the best times to do it as well since the holiday time, the dealerships are typically a bit quiet due to everyone being at the mall or doing holiday stuff. Ideally, see if you work it out so that you take delivery close to the end of the December... the end of the December is the end of the fiscal year for most dealers so if you find a dealer that needs a few extra sales to meet their sales targets, you might get lucky and score some extra stuff.

BTW. When I did this for Subaru, my car was backordered at all of the dealerships for 2 months so they didn't even have them in stock! I took delivery on January 2nd as they needed it to meet their year end numbers.... I wanted to pick it up on the 3rd but they knocked off a few bucks for me to come in early.
Nov 6, 2016
35 posts
5 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:55 pm
It worked for an Elantra.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7564 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
alexh9 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 2:00 am
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?
I believe it was $19,700 or $100 less, all-in, mid-trim sedan, A/T, winter mats, touch-up pen, all done via email (I contacted most of the GTA dealers) approaching Xmas time, about 7+ dealers thereabouts played ball w/ emailed offers and I went from there.
Jan 21, 2016
111 posts
47 upvotes
GVRD
craftsman wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:41 am
Absolutely. This is also one of the best times to do it as well since the holiday time, the dealerships are typically a bit quiet due to everyone being at the mall or doing holiday stuff. Ideally, see if you work it out so that you take delivery close to the end of the December... the end of the December is the end of the fiscal year for most dealers so if you find a dealer that needs a few extra sales to meet their sales targets, you might get lucky and score some extra stuff.

BTW. When I did this for Subaru, my car was backordered at all of the dealerships for 2 months so they didn't even have them in stock! I took delivery on January 2nd as they needed it to meet their year end numbers.... I wanted to pick it up on the 3rd but they knocked off a few bucks for me to come in early.
Thanks for the advice! I'm just not sure what on the road price I should say on the email (lowball?) or whether I should just say "give me your best price". I'm looking to add a few accessories like wheel locks and some other things in the trunk, but should I add that onto the cost if I were to say my price? The price would be before calculating freight/taxes, etc should be the invoice price and between 1-3% on top?
Nov 6, 2016
35 posts
5 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 2:09 am
I believe it was $19,700 or $100 less, all-in, mid-trim sedan, A/T, winter mats, touch-up pen, all done via email (I contacted most of the GTA dealers) approaching Xmas time, about 7+ dealers thereabouts played ball w/ emailed offers and I went from there.
Cool, thanks. Was this for a 2017 model?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7564 posts
1008 upvotes
Toronto
alexh9 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 3:27 am
Cool, thanks. Was this for a 2017 model?
No, this was back in 2013, so a MY2013 or 2014, I can't rem exactly.
Dec 3, 2007
338 posts
27 upvotes
van1337 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 3:11 am
Thanks for the advice! I'm just not sure what on the road price I should say on the email (lowball?) or whether I should just say "give me your best price". I'm looking to add a few accessories like wheel locks and some other things in the trunk, but should I add that onto the cost if I were to say my price? The price would be before calculating freight/taxes, etc should be the invoice price and between 1-3% on top?
After a long decision process I’ve decided on a Subaru Outback and am in a similar situation. Debating whether to give a price or ask for best price. Sounds like some folks have done better than unhaggle.

With that said I’ll probably try the best price approach from my email address. If to doesn’t work I’ll use my wife’s email to send it out again with the other approach.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6638 posts
1777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
van1337 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 3:11 am
Your best bet is to start asking for their price. Once you give them your price, they will use that as the bottom and move up from there (which is not what you want). Leave accessories out of the conversation for now as it will just confuse matters. Start with just getting the car at the on the road price before anything else. Once you get a price from a dealer, email out that price to all of the other dealers to see if they can beat it. If they can't or someone says 'how can I earn your business', then you can start seeing if they can reduce the price more OR start talking accessories and maintenance.

FORGET about the invoice price. It does not reflect the true cost of the car to the dealership as that's really the MSRP to the dealership from the OEM. It doesn't reflect additional cost that the dealer might have OR any rebates, sales, promos, discounts... the OEM might have given the dealer or about to give the dealer. Remember that you are looking at it from an individual sales point of view while the dealership is looking at it from an overall sales point of view. If they need a few extra cars sold in order to qualify for the next discount or sales target, most dealers would gladly sell a few cars cheaper in order to make MORE money on more of their cars.
Nov 6, 2016
35 posts
5 upvotes
What I'm curious about is how exactly do we find out all of the current rebates and incentives that are available? I ask because some of them aren't advertised clearly, or at all for some manufacturers. For example, Hyundai recently had a $500 incentive, but it was barely advertised. I would want to go into the email bomb scenario having all this information ready.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7873 posts
2033 upvotes
Toronto
alexh9 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:46 pm
What I'm curious about is how exactly do we find out all of the current rebates and incentives that are available? I ask because some of them aren't advertised clearly, or at all for some manufacturers. For example, Hyundai recently had a $500 incentive, but it was barely advertised. I would want to go into the email bomb scenario having all this information ready.
car cost canada report.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6638 posts
1777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alexh9 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 1:46 pm
Note that there are really two classes of rebates and incentives - one for the consumer and one for dealers. The consumer ones aren't too hard to find. It's the dealer only ones that are impossible to find.