• Dec 7th, 2017 3:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 13, 2017
12 posts
19 upvotes
swuonnngy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 8:29 pm
I literally emailed all of Mazda dealers in all of the lower mainland and every single one of them said that they are no longer able to confirm prices with clients over email anymore.
I did this a couple of months back when I was buying my CX-5 GT, I sent emails to 5 dealers, and got replies from (4) of them. The most forthright and active one in wanting my business was actually Murray Mazda out in Chilliwack. They agreed to the pricing I proposed using the info I had from Unhaggle and even gave me $1000 more on my trade in for going out there to do the deal ( I am in Langley ) so maybe because they are out further, they are willing to play ball in order to sell more vehicles. Anyway, negotiated everything over email, they checked out my trade when I got there, increased my trade value by $1000 over what they thought they could do, and was in + out in just over an hour.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9223 posts
688 upvotes
Mississauga
Headhoncho wrote:
Aug 10th, 2013 7:07 pm
Always address your emails to the Sales Manager. Never go through regular salesmen. Some dealer websites have the Sales Manager's personal email address, some do not.
I found in my case this wasn't always the case.

The Sales Manager didn't want to entertain deals, didn't budge on price, but it depends on the luck of the draw who you ask, I found the Salesmen/Saleswoman were willing to negotiate. So YMMW
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2633 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:20 pm

The Sales Manager didn't want to entertain deals, didn't budge on price, but it depends on the luck of the draw who you ask, I found the Salesmen/Saleswoman were willing to negotiate. So YMMW
Yeah, similar experience... bit out of town dealerships: salesmen were willing to negotiate but manager at another dealership... "...can't do deal at that price as only have quantity to sell in local area..."
May 17, 2017
159 posts
107 upvotes
Waterloo
Got a question about Open Road Fleet so I thought I'd just post my response here:
- For buyers like us, it's like going through a professional and no BS salesperson.
- It's best to go in knowing what car you want, since he seems to be rather busy with other sales
- All brands can be purchased through OR fleet, with better discounts than retail (got ~800 without asking on Rav4, 2500 on Camry)
- They do cash, finance, lease, and trade ins.
- It was maximum 60 minutes in and out of Open Road Toyota Richmond for both purchases, which is where Open Road Fleet is run from
May 18, 2006
920 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone tried this with Mazda dealers in the GTA recently? I have emailed 12 dealers within an hour of the GTA and all the responses so far have stated that "it is Mazda Canada’s policy to not allow their dealers to discount via email or fax and any dealer found to be doing so will face serious financial repercussions".
Nov 17, 2013
467 posts
51 upvotes
WINNIPEG
does this tactic work when looking for a used vehicle at the dealerships or only on the "certified used" specially selected or only new vehicles?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25881 posts
2883 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vrredflag wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:07 am
does this tactic work when looking for a used vehicle at the dealerships or only on the "certified used" specially selected or only new vehicles?
I doubt it would work on used vehicles. No two are alike and acquisition costs are different.
Aug 30, 2015
83 posts
30 upvotes
Victoria, BC
+1 for this method.

Thanks to the suggestions in this thread I went ahead with this method for a new Subaru Forester. I created a single use email account and emailed (or web-form contacted) 14 dealers. I was very specific with my requirements and received 8 responses. Being 1 day before the end of the month I think I got exceptionally lucky with some quota a dealership must have been targeting.

At MSRP the dealer margin would be $2,466. I saved $1,988 vs MSRP, also got the $500 standard cash incentive and received $200 in free accessories.
Total time spent : 2 hours doing initial research, emails and responding.
Total time from first email to receiving the vehicle in person: 29.5 hours.

MRSP: $33,295
Advertised cash incentive: $500
PDI, Freight & Other fees: $2,245
Sales Tax: 12%
All-in price at MSRP: $39,245

Dealer Cost: $30,829
Advertised cash incentive: $500
PDI, Freight & Other fees: $2,245
Sales Tax: 12%
All-in price at dealer cost: $36,483

My Price: $37,257

My savings vs. MSRP: $1988
My savings vs. MSRP before tax: $1775

Dealer’s margin (tax removed): $691
Less dealer’s estimated costs (excluding indirect costs such as advertising, storage costs, cleaning, etc):
Tank of gas $75
Front and rear rubber mats ~$75 ($200 retail)
Transport via ferry to deliver to me $100
1 Employee’s time @ 8 hours to deliver to me $200
May 5, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Ajax
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:20 pm

I only deal with sales managers when I first contact a dealership. If you're knowledgeable about the car ie. invoice price, finance/lease rates, incentives, etc. then they treat you a lot more seriously. Just arbitrarily phoning out of the blue asking for the best price won't get you far. Knowledge is a weapon, and the more you have the more you can leverage a better deal. I usually get $300 to $500 over invoice for both Toyota and Honda.
May 5, 2006
194 posts
6 upvotes
Ajax
Gee wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 3:26 am
I doubt it would work on used vehicles. No two are alike and acquisition costs are different.
Correct - this definitely won't work on used vehicles.

It will only work on new vehicles, because each dealership pays the same acquisition costs from the same manufacturer. The baseline is set.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2310 posts
146 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
josh16 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 9:53 am
Has anyone tried this with Mazda dealers in the GTA recently? I have emailed 12 dealers within an hour of the GTA and all the responses so far have stated that "it is Mazda Canada’s policy to not allow their dealers to discount via email or fax and any dealer found to be doing so will face serious financial repercussions".
Yup...

No dealer should be quoting anything but MSRP by email under the new guidelines.. however a lot can be done over the phone.
kevboy67 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:45 pm
I did this a couple of months back when I was buying my CX-5 GT, I sent emails to 5 dealers, and got replies from (4) of them. The most forthright and active one in wanting my business was actually Murray Mazda out in Chilliwack. They agreed to the pricing I proposed using the info I had from Unhaggle and even gave me $1000 more on my trade in for going out there to do the deal ( I am in Langley ) so maybe because they are out further, they are willing to play ball in order to sell more vehicles. Anyway, negotiated everything over email, they checked out my trade when I got there, increased my trade value by $1000 over what they thought they could do, and was in + out in just over an hour.
Cough Cough... forwarding this to Mazda Canada.. cough cough...

Enjoy your CX-5.. :)
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com